Theo Corbeanu

jordan

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They are 6 and 8.  Remember this is 10 years and both Chelsea and Liverpool were completely out of Europe at times in that span ie. No points. Juve's worst years were the last 2.

There are teams which are strong but psychologically weak in the crunch, like Atlético de Madrid or Arsenal. Then teams which may not be the best objectively (thinking how long Liverpool went without a league), but know how to compete in critical moments. 

But I think only Madrid can win a Champions League in a good season or a mediocre season, they can lose the league, be poor in the Cup, and still have the mentality to win a CL. Barça can never ignore a bad season and shrug it off to win in Europe, never have, in fact.

Obviously I'd prefer to see more winners in Spain, and another Spanish winner in Champions; but it is also the fault of teams with money and stadiums and fans who consistently can't show the level they should be able to put together. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There are teams which are strong but psychologically weak in the crunch, like Atlético de Madrid or Arsenal. Then teams which may not be the best objectively (thinking how long Liverpool went without a league), but know how to compete in critical moments. 

But I think only Madrid can win a Champions League in a good season or a mediocre season, they can lose the league, be poor in the Cup, and still have the mentality to win a CL. Barça can never ignore a bad season and shrug it off to win in Europe, never have, in fact.

Obviously I'd prefer to see more winners in Spain, and another Spanish winner in Champions; but it is also the fault of teams with money and stadiums and fans who consistently can't show the level they should be able to put together. 

Like Bayern tonight😉.

But generally a good post.  Any metric is going to have blinds spots; this one seems - to me - one of the best to give a balanced look at the top teams.   (Not the top leagues because those top teams have to face very different opposition week in/week out)

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sorry, so which team is Theo joining? 

Know you are chiding us, but I honestly believe Theo should relax and stay at Granada, next season, in second division.

It is very competitive, stadiums are big, fans come out, but I would say Granada has to be a promotion candidate. In the top 6-8 anyways. They have the wrong coach, imo, because most of these S Americans are lost in Spain. He's too green and too innocent. Get a solid Spanish coach and stop trying to be smart-ass, and promote up again. 

So I think Theo should stay, unless they figure his salary is a bit high and want to loan him up to a Liga club. Granada also has a historical relationship to Serie A clubs, so they could loan to a modest Serie A club. Or keep him as part of the promotion project. They have loans in and may not be able to retain them. He probably is going to get looks regardless, he is drawing attention. 

My personal opinion is that Liam Millar is a more complete player, as we stand, and is another who should make a Liga bid, on loan from Basel.

I am mainly just being a dick, but it comes from a good place.  

But in terms of the substantive point - I am sure there are worse places than the Spanish second division.   If he could  get picked up by a lower team in La Liga and be confident of decent minutes next season, then so be it. But if that doesn’t materialize then it would t be bad to have a stint in the second Div where he could attract the attention of some bigger teams with a strong of solid performances.   

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am mainly just being a dick, but it comes from a good place.  

But in terms of the substantive point - I am sure there are worse places than the Spanish second division.   If he could  get picked up by a lower team in La Liga and be confident of decent minutes next season, then so be it. But if that doesn’t materialize then it would t be bad to have a stint in the second Div where he could attract the attention of some bigger teams with a strong of solid performances.   

If we are looking that this level, I just want him somewhere he plays. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What does Luca have, one goal at Burnley after a dozen matches? Theo is already ahead of him. 

Agree his production has been underwhelming, but he was starting consistently for Burnley prior to his injury. Hopefully Theo can  get consistent mins for the rest of the season and play well. Regardless, he should be called up for T&T. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What does Luca have, one goal at Burnley after a dozen matches? Theo is already ahead of him. 

I agree that we have lots of talent - but pre-injury Luca was playing consistently in EPL at the age of 19.  That is an impressive stat regardless of anything else.  He may not be in our starting 11 today, but the push to recruit him is about the future.  Not that I think we will ultimately be successful - I don't.  But I definitely understand it. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree that we have lots of talent - but pre-injury Luca was playing consistently in EPL at the age of 19.  That is an impressive stat regardless of anything else.  He may not be in our starting 11 today, but the push to recruit him is about the future.  Not that I think we will ultimately be successful - I don't.  But I definitely understand it. 

davies LDF JKL Buchanan
Millar kone staq ? Koleosho 
David 

I think the above is the best possible outcome for 2026 based on current trajectory. Corbeanu makes a case for millar or koleosho (who we probably lose out on anyways). 

I do think koleosho starts for us today if hes fit. 

Koleosho is nearly and almost definitively lost, he's in the Italian system now, has played youth tournaments.

Now if he is recovering from his injury blow in Championship, where Burnley will have a very difficult time promoting again (I personally think they won't be favoured next year), he may slip out of the Italian senior picture altogether, which would give us a second chance. But I think he'll get fit, see if he can recover his form, see what Burnley is giving him and if he stays or tries to move back up to a top flight, even on loan, and then work his way back into the Italian national team system.

Luca was also fortunate that he has a mgr at Burnley that was very patient and stuck with him eventhough he was not scoring. That's been a huge factor in the mins he has played. I watched Larin  at Brugge and he was playing well, working hard on both sides of the ball but missed  a penalty in his 1st game and after a few more games it looked like his mgr had given up on him.

44 minutes ago, costarg said:

I get the chills looking at this.  Gawd

Me too. It's unlikely (and timelines are a bit skewed as Im accelerating development for youngsters and prolonging the vets) but heres my dream 26 for the next world cup. 

sirious/mcgill (prem)
Buchanan (inter) LDF(fulham) JKL (weak prem team) Davies (RM)
Millar (prem team) kone (udinese) staq (porto) Koleosho (prem)/ Corbeanu (la liga) 
Larin (mallorca) David (milan) 

ali - sporting
stefanovic - belguim/netherlands/championship
Cornelius - turkey
Johnston - celtic
laryea - MLS
adekugbe - MLS
Ugbo - top championship team
nelson - championship
Brym - sparta
Colyn - holland
Lopez - Liga MX
Saliba - holland/belguim 
choiniere - MLS
Crepuea - MLS 

HM: Bair, shaf, JMR, bombito, TJ

No point discussing Koleosho. Maybe we'll land him or maybe we won't. Whatever the case, I don't think it makes sense to compare him with Corbeanu right now. He is a phenomenal player and potential starter on our squad at only 19 in obviously one of the best leagues in the world. 

10 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

No point discussing Koleosho. Maybe we'll land him or maybe we won't. Whatever the case, I don't think it makes sense to compare him with Corbeanu right now. He is a phenomenal player and potential starter on our squad at only 19 in obviously one of the best leagues in the world. 

I realise Koleosho was young, and he has room for improvement, but he is not altogether effective. I saw a stat where he had amongst the highest dribble rates in Europe of the top leagues (in there with Bryan Zaragoza, who Theo has essentially replaced at Granada), but then the assists dropped off, and the goals. I prefer a very efficient player to a flashy player. I am not saying Corbeanu is efficient, but we'll see.

We have all these strong outside players with varied technique, strong feet and different skill sets, Davies, Tajon, Millar, Theo, then the marauding fullbacks like Richie, but we don't have a lot to show from them in terms of blistering crosses or goals coming from the wing, like turning in. Just the odd bit here and there. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I realise Koleosho was young, and he has room for improvement, but he is not altogether effective. I saw a stat where he had amongst the highest dribble rates in Europe of the top leagues (in there with Bryan Zaragoza, who Theo has essentially replaced at Granada), but then the assists dropped off, and the goals. I prefer a very efficient player to a flashy player. I am not saying Corbeanu is efficient, but we'll see.

We have all these strong outside players with varied technique, strong feet and different skill sets, Davies, Tajon, Millar, Theo, then the marauding fullbacks like Richie, but we don't have a lot to show from them in terms of blistering crosses or goals coming from the wing, like turning in. Just the odd bit here and there. 

I agree but dont mind an efficient dribbler. A guy who consistently can progress the ball so that others can have assists and goals is very valuable.... but i dont think thats happening with kolo.

Im not so sure I agree that our outside players are not producing. 

Davies scores 1 in every 3 games and has 33 points in 37 starts. Hoilett is the all time assists leader for canada. Millar and theo havent really havent been given many opportunities. Buchanan has 10 points in 24 starts. Sam has 5 points in his 18 most recent appearances (not fair to compare his stats to when we sucked). 

I think its difficult because we have played alot of a 3-4-3 in WCQ so davies, david and larin (as the front 3) hoarded the stats, while guys like buchanan/sam/laryea often play wingback where their stats are decent. The other option was a 4-4-2 block where our fullbacks were not overly adventurous. 

I do agree that we dont overly rely on crossing from wide players but I dont mind that, as long as we are still creating chances.

33 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I agree but dont mind an efficient dribbler. A guy who consistently can progress the ball so that others can have assists and goals is very valuable.... but i dont think thats happening with kolo.

Im not so sure I agree that our outside players are not producing. 

Davies scores 1 in every 3 games and has 33 points in 37 starts. Hoilett is the all time assists leader for canada. Millar and theo havent really havent been given many opportunities. Buchanan has 10 points in 24 starts. Sam has 5 points in his 18 most recent appearances (not fair to compare his stats to when we sucked). 

I think its difficult because we have played alot of a 3-4-3 in WCQ so davies, david and larin (as the front 3) hoarded the stats, while guys like buchanan/sam/laryea often play wingback where their stats are decent. The other option was a 4-4-2 block where our fullbacks were not overly adventurous. 

I do agree that we dont overly rely on crossing from wide players but I dont mind that, as long as we are still creating chances.

True we have production but a lot of the stats are against clearly weaker teams.

I am just saying we tend to  emphasise our wings and rely on them, but the goals don't usually come from the wings. Even the Davies goal vs. Croatia, it is a Buchanan pass, but he is not deep, not near the endline, just not marked and puts it in comfortably. It's not even a wing play. Adekugbe provoking the own goal vs Morocco is.

We have as many goals down the middle, and supposedly we are not as strong in the middle. So I figure, if we have these fleet wingers on elite teams, let's find a way to maximise that. Rarely does Davies beat his marker down the left and cross in for a goal. Away to the States in qualifying, think it was (so I do remember). About it though.

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

True we have production but a lot of the stats are against clearly weaker teams.

I am just saying we tend to  emphasise our wings and rely on them, but the goals don't usually come from the wings. Even the Davies goal vs. Croatia, it is a Buchanan pass, but he is not deep, not near the endline, just not marked and puts it in comfortably. It's not even a wing play. Adekugbe provoking the own goal vs Morocco is.

We have as many goals down the middle, and supposedly we are not as strong in the middle. So I figure, if we have these fleet wingers on elite teams, let's find a way to maximise that. Rarely does Davies beat his marker down the left and cross in for a goal. Away to the States in qualifying, think it was (so I do remember). About it though.

It can for sure improve but the following are all goals from wide positions during WCQ. 

Oso goal vs mexico comes from davies wing play.
Davies vs panama.
Atiba (assisted by laryea) vs el salvador
buchanan vs mexico (gold cup)
davies to larin vs usa
david vs el salvador was from a cross in then a second cross from the clearance
Laryea cross to buchanan vs panama. 
davies cross to david vs panama. 
staq cross to david cs costa rica
set piece cross to larin vs mexico
Larin cross to atiba on the goal line vs el salvador
David cross to buchanan vs jamaica
buchanan to hoilett vs jamiaca. 

I'd say the majority of our goals came from side positions working towards the middle. 

Our central goals came from counter attacks mostly with 3 exceptions during WCQ: larin vs the usa(counter attack), larin vs mexico (rebound tap in), larin vs jamaica (link up play). 

Although the type of wingplay (crosses vs passes into the middle, vs driving to the line and cutting back etc) is up for debate, I would say that we rarely scored from central play. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I realise Koleosho was young, and he has room for improvement, but he is not altogether effective. I saw a stat where he had amongst the highest dribble rates in Europe of the top leagues (in there with Bryan Zaragoza, who Theo has essentially replaced at Granada), but then the assists dropped off, and the goals. I prefer a very efficient player to a flashy player. 

15 goals in 15 games pre LK injury, 10 goals in 12 games games post injury. Burnley aren’t scoring goals period.