Theo Corbeanu

jordan

46 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Herdman convinced Corbeanu to switch so he was sold on him.  It was just a numbers game though; it's hard to find a spot for him on the team with how Herdman built squads. To make the team Herdman would have had to drop one of Tajon, Laryea, or Hoilett and that wasn't happening.

Now though I can see Hoilett being dropped for Theo.

Mentioning those senior guys doesn't make sense to me specifically for their role in WCQ. It was literally down to one spot in attack. Millar vs Corbeanu vs Brym - all players JH rated. Millar was a regular in the WCQ squads, so he won out. 

Now in addition to Hoilett there's Cavallini.

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

Mentioning those senior guys doesn't make sense to me specifically for their role in WCQ. It was literally down to one spot in attack. Millar vs Corbeanu vs Brym - all players JH rated. Millar was a regular in the WCQ squads, so he won out. 

Now in addition to Hoilett there's Cavallini.

No it didn't work like that.  Millar won out because there was less depth on the left side.  Millar plays on the left, Brym up front, and Corbeanu on the right.  All different positions which was very important in terms of squad selection.

Herdman was very methodical with his squads, he'd have each starter assigned to their position and then their backup. Brym served a very specific role with his call ups that didn't conflict with the role Herdman had for Corbeanu.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s a little surprising the way they handled him and how little they got. Did he ever get a shot in preseason even?

A 21 year old being dubbed one of the best players for his club in Switzerland must have some sell on clauses attached. Otherwise that is a really low transfer fee for a player like this. 

Spanish press, different sources, is saying just under 1.5 million euros.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

No it didn't work like that.  Millar won out because there was less depth on the left side.  Millar plays on the left, Brym up front, and Corbeanu on the right.  All different positions which was very important in terms of squad selection.

Herdman was very methodical with his squads, he'd have each starter assigned to their position and then their backup. Brym served a very specific role with his call ups that didn't conflict with the role Herdman had for Corbeanu.

Millar has played on LW, FW, and LWB in recent games for Canada. His club position has primarily been LWB/LW.
Corbeanu has played on RW but everywhere across the front 3 in his times at Hertha, Blackpool, and Grasshoppers. 
Brym primarily a CF, but has played at club level at RW. 

What you're saying sounds true about JH was "very methodical" and you say less depth on the leftside....but to me it was stronger than the right. We had Davies, Hoilett, Adekugbe, and Millar whether we had 3 or 4 in the back. In a 3 back Davies would start, Sam was his backup. Back 4, Davies would start, Junior would be back up. So when was Millar someone's "backup". 
I remember the Jamaica game...where Liam started on the RW because Tajon and Richie were out. And Hoilett was on the bench...was that part of his methods?

Point of what I'm saying is Millar was the final pick for the rogue player. Meaning a guy who can fill in where needed. He does that better than Brym or Corbeanu. He's way more versatile than both those guys and I think that's why he got the "last spot". 

Maybe selective amnesia?
He didn't solely play on either side. But whether you agree to disagree, Hoilett is more dangerous coming off the left side.
image.png.a90091c854dbd9d2b289d460d130ab34.png

Honduras game at BMO on September 3, he subbed onto the RW position.
Costa Rica game in March 22 he subbed on for Alistair but moved to the LW position as we were chasing a goal. 

However my point still stands, he didn't "win out" because there was less depth on the leftside...if anything it was on the right. He won the spot because of his versatility vs Brym vs Corbeanu.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Millar has played on LW, FW, and LWB in recent games for Canada. His club position has primarily been LWB/LW.
Corbeanu has played on RW but everywhere across the front 3 in his times at Hertha, Blackpool, and Grasshoppers. 
Brym primarily a CF, but has played at club level at RW. 

What you're saying sounds true about JH was "very methodical" and you say less depth on the leftside....but to me it was stronger than the right. We had Davies, Hoilett, Adekugbe, and Millar whether we had 3 or 4 in the back. In a 3 back Davies would start, Sam was his backup. Back 4, Davies would start, Junior would be back up. So when was Millar someone's "backup". 
I remember the Jamaica game...where Liam started on the RW because Tajon and Richie were out. And Hoilett was on the bench...was that part of his methods?

Point of what I'm saying is Millar was the final pick for the rogue player. Meaning a guy who can fill in where needed. He does that better than Brym or Corbeanu. He's way more versatile than both those guys and I think that's why he got the "last spot". 

Im not disagreeing with you, but I think the 26th spot was up for grabs by any position. I think your logic is true for the top 23 guys. I think fraser was our 26th pick and given the formation and how we were sooooo thin at CM, it makes sense to go with a CM over a winger who isnt seeing the pitch at wingback and likely not at striker either. 

Same logic can be applied to waterman vs corbeanu. 

It's just so hard to take a young guy who wasnt really involved in WCQ who plays in a position that is not included in our formation. 

15 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not that I have heard, pretty lanky to pick up that name.  But who knows. 

Maybe just a case of "there are bears in Canada, right?" 

I vaguely recall some English podcast a few years ago where they riffed on a (then) recent story of a bear wandering onto a soccer pitch somewhere in Canada.  They got the impression that bears are everywhere over here.  Maybe that story had legs in a lot of Europe, and they associate Canadian soccer with bears.

Just now, rkomar said:

I vaguely recall some English podcast a few years ago where they riffed on a (then) recent story of a bear wandering onto a soccer pitch somewhere in Canada.  They got the impression that bears are everywhere over here.  Maybe that story had legs in a lot of Europe, and they associate Canadian soccer with bears.

Yup. Happened on a pitch in Port Moody BC up near the mountainside.

18 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Im not disagreeing with you, but I think the 26th spot was up for grabs by any position. I think your logic is true for the top 23 guys. I think fraser was our 26th pick and given the formation and how we were sooooo thin at CM, it makes sense to go with a CM over a winger who isnt seeing the pitch at wingback and likely not at striker either. 

Same logic can be applied to waterman vs corbeanu. 

It's just so hard to take a young guy who wasnt really involved in WCQ who plays in a position that is not included in our formation. 

For the 26, I saw it as an extra spot in each part of the field. 
Attack - Millar but was battling with Brym, Shaffenburg and Corbeanu
Midfield - Fraser won but was battling with Choinierre. 
Defense - Corneilius won but was battling Henry, MacNaughton, ZBG, Edwards

30 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I actively tried to encourage such stereo-types when I lived there.

Totally unrelated, I wore as much plaid as I could. 

With corbeanu in a top 5 league, we could now field an almost all top 5 league squad

Richie, LDF, JKL davies
Staq, Kone,
corbeanu, david, buchanan
larin 

Kone is destined for a top 5 league... I hope. 

Staq is at a top 5 level with porto. 

Richie LDF are a bit of a lie but technically prem players
JKL (although not at a level to start) is in there because its somewhat plausable he moves to the prem.... ish...... 

Not to mention that AJ, Millar could move up. Mitrovic should be on CMNT. I could see ahmed and nelson moving up. stefanovic, JMR and nimick, cameron all have (even if uncredible) links to prem teams. 

Its a bit of blind optimism but I could see us being where the USMNT currently is in a few years, while their youngsters take them to the next level.

As @Obinna said he trained today. Jozwiak the new Pole from Charlotte did not, they have injuries, quite a few new signings and loans did not make it either. 

https://www.futbolfantasy.com/laliga/noticias/112109-corbeanu-completa-su-primera-sesion-con-el-granada-pero-jozwiak-todavia-no

So I see a list of 22 training here, with Theo listed amongst mids. 

This makes me think they might call him into the squad and dress him, 22 is 10 field subs and not a long matchday roster. 

Sorry to interrupt the bear stories, I bet I have as many as anyone here.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As @Obinna said he trained today. Jozwiak the new Pole from Charlotte did not, they have injuries, quite a few new signings and loans did not make it either. 

https://www.futbolfantasy.com/laliga/noticias/112109-corbeanu-completa-su-primera-sesion-con-el-granada-pero-jozwiak-todavia-no

So I see a list of 22 training here, with Theo listed amongst mids. 

This makes me think they might call him into the squad and dress him, 22 is 10 field subs and not a long matchday roster. 

Sorry to interrupt the bear stories, I bet I have as many as anyone here.

Not that I expect him to start (or play significantly this weekend), but if he doesn't play, who is the Zaragoza replacement? On the right, it seems like they have Puertas and they sometimes play Callejon it seems, but neither seems to inspire much excitement. Would imagine Puertas starts and gives way to Corbeanu later in the game, but it's looking like if he shows well in practice, he might get tossed into the fire sooner than we may have anticipated.

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not that I expect him to start (or play significantly this weekend), but if he doesn't play, who is the Zaragoza replacement? On the right, it seems like they have Puertas and they sometimes play Callejon it seems, but neither seems to inspire much excitement. Would imagine Puertas starts and gives way to Corbeanu later in the game, but it's looking like if he shows well in practice, he might get tossed into the fire sooner than we may have anticipated.

They have good names up front who are underperforming. Callejon, almost 37 then Boye who is very skilled and has hold up but just cant score, Puertas is experienced. All with low effectivity.

Then Uzuni the Albanian who I really don't know is the leading scorer (with Zaragoza ), plays inverted on the left or up top.

I don't know but I think the coach being Uruguayan will play Pellistri, who didn't get minutes for Manchester United but plays for the national team. Pellistri beside Uzuni, Theo replaces one or the other.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They have good names up front who are underperforming. Callejon, almost 37 then Boye who is very skilled and has hold up but just cant score, Puertas is experienced. All with low effectivity.

Then Uzuni the Albanian who I really don't know is the leading scorer (with Zaragoza ), plays inverted on the left or up top.

I don't know but I think the coach being Uruguayan will play Pellistri, who didn't get minutes for Manchester United but plays for the national team. Pellistri beside Uzuni, Theo replaces one or the other.

Seems logical and I am very happy if it plays out this way. Relegation threatened or not, Corbeanu being a super sub in La Liga is a very positive development, one that would make it hard to justify his omission from the team in March. 

Even if they do go down, which seems likely (if not certain), playing a full season in La Liga 2 would serve him well. There could be an exudus of players, like Pellistri and maybe even Uzuni, giving Corbeanu a clear path to being a starter. Or, if he does really well for the remainder of the season, maybe he's part of the exudus and gets another La Liga shot.

I cannot help but feel positive about where Corbeanu is at right now.  

21 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

All best wishes, being somewhere permanent he should get his chance.  Hopefully he can make things happen and keep them up.  

The only shame is that Wolves didn't think he could help them, in a presently, very, very thin attack.  £750,000 is not going to do much to solve their financial woes.  

Thin attack? We're on pace to score our most goals in a season since our return to the Premier League.

I'm sad it didn't work out with Theo. I love having a Canadian on Wolves. But he wasn't going to help our attack. 

On 1/19/2024 at 12:16 PM, Obinna said:

I have defended Corbeanu more than once, but I am starting to wonder if the critics have a point. His loans do seem to start off bright, then fizzle out.

I did watch several of his games at Grasshoppers and he was consistently one of their best attackers, yet the stats seem to be lacking and not capturing that. Maybe the lack of production doesn't matter so much, but at some point I feel it will hurt his case.

I am getting a little tired of the loan merry-go-round with Theo. He's not THAT young anymore. 

For those who follow Wolves (@Hawkguy?)....is there any chance he rides out the season at Wolves and gets into a few league or cup matches....or should we expect yet another loan? 

Also, was the loan terminated because of the LAFC purchase? They were previously owned by Wolves, right? Or at least there was an affiliation of some sort between Wolves and Grasshoppers.

This loan felt like to me like "last chance saloon" for Corbeanu insofar as his Wolves career. He is 21 and essentially went to their farm team, after going to the Championship (probably to get seasoned) and 2. Bundesliga (potentially to get sold?). And he still wasn't ready for the Wolves first team, nor did he impress enough for someone else to come in and buy. 

Regardless, good luck to him. A big talent that needs and deserves a situation in which he can florish.

Wolves owners wife owned Grasshoppers, but I believe they sold. 

Theo just had no spot in the current setup. Our coach likes a very pressing style and Theo isn't that kind of player. 

This is a good move for him. Wolves initially wanted to loan him, but from what I've heard so far Theo pushed for the sale so the teams wouldn't just bench him. He's owned by the club, so they'll want to develop him. Wolves had been furious how his loans went. 

He's had loans where he was the best player on the team and would get benched for players owned by the club. So that won't happen now. 

I haven't heard all the details, but I'm hoping we put a buy back clause in the deal. I know Wolves have done that for other youngsters before. 

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

It is a weird sentiment though.  Corbeanu is the same player he was 2 weeks ago.  Same as Larin, we all knew his capabilities, all watch him closely, but it seemed like once he got into a LaLiga side everyone else thought he had made a huge jump in skill/abilities.  Same with Tajon, he may be with Inter, but he is still the same guy who didnt light up the jupiter league and yet shows such special talent in WCQ against top national teams.  Its like we have a lazy or biased way of looking at players.  Put up pictures of Tajon with Brugge, CMNT and Inter jerseys on and people will give him wildly different skill ratings mainly based on the jersey.  

As for Theo, I dont get to see him much at all, but if he did OK in Championship with Blackpool, and in the Swiss league, why wouldnt he be good enough to get some games in a bottom LaLiga team??  Like UT said, mb some of the doors are opening for CDN, people are actually looking at our guys without negative sterotypes attached to them.  

It is a weird sentiment but I dont think that we see Tajon as any different. We just see his resources growing so more potential to improve. He has much better coaching and will need to step up a level to compete with these guys. At this level, its very small margins and very tactical in italy so tajon will likely improve. 

Larin seems to have improved his build up play but overall I think hes a similar player as before. He needs good service and is patchy with scoring. I think if he improved like we hope tajon will, he would have become a starter by name but it seems hes near his ceiling. 

Theo is an odd case because his potential is high but his output is streaky. His flaws were/are quite damaging to get to the next level. Sometimes you can be a phenomenal div 2 player but div 1 "finds you out". That said, hes improving and super young. He was on the cusp of the national team but I think the idea is that a move to la liga will result in him cleaning up some aspects of his game which results in a call up. TBH he was ready for some call ups imo recently but was blocked thru injury, formation, or picking experience/better players (hoilett, millar).

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

Thin attack? We're on pace to score our most goals in a season since our return to the Premier League.

I'm sad it didn't work out with Theo. I love having a Canadian on Wolves. But he wasn't going to help our attack. 

Whoa. "Thin" means thin not anything else.

You have Neto just coming back, Hwang is could still be gone for a couple weeks with their win today. Other than that you have Cunha and Sarabia as actual attackers with Premiership minutes.  That is very thin for a Premier League squad (just like West Ham is thin while scoring a few more goals).

That said, any team with Ballon D'awson on in is good for a few goals 😉.

More seriously, you were singing Corbeanu's praises for years, I am sure you said he would get minutes with Wolves a few years ago, on deeper teams.  I don't think he has regressed that much.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

46 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Whoa. "Thin" means thin not anything else.

You have Neto just coming back, Hwang is could still be gone for a couple weeks with their win today. Other than that you have Cunha and Sarabia as actual attackers with Premiership minutes.  That is very thin for a Premier League squad (just like West Ham is thin while scoring a few more goals).

That said, any team with Ballon D'awson on in is good for a few goals 😉.

More seriously, you were singing Corbeanu's praises for years, I am sure you said he would get minutes with Wolves a few years ago, on deeper teams.  I don't think he has regressed that much.

Hwang could be gone for two more games, yes. 

Neto has been back for bit. 

We also have Bellegarde who can play wing as well as Sarabia who is absolutely cooking. On top of that, Ait-Nouri has played some games as a winger as well and looked pretty decent. 

We're not different than we were early in the year. Sasa and Fabio had a couple runouts early, but weren't really part of the squad anymore. Fraser has started to get a few minutes as well and looks at least as good as Fabio. 

Deeper teams? Wolves are scoring more goals at a higher rate than they have in the Premier League since returning. So that seems a bit funny. If anything, I think this is the best offensive side we've had in years. At least since Jota/Jimenez. 

And yeah, he was developing well.. but he's kind of hit a wall. I'm not exactly sure what happened this year but obviously Wolves thought he wasn't going to be a Premier League player any time soon. He was cooking to start the year and then he started not getting minutes. I can't get many Swiss games, so I'm not sure what's changed. I'm still a big fan of Corbeanu especially for the Canadian Men's team. 

Edited by Hawkguy