Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Yeah, that’s why I made sure to say that 3 out of the 4 American players I mentioned were attackers.  Didn’t think it was fully fair to compare EPB.

Oops.  My bad.  

I just have a bit of a knowledge on Palmer-Brown as he played for Austria Vienna who I follow a bit from afar.  

I genuinely wonder how teams like these two would compare to the best MLS teams.  I know they are two relegation-battling teams in Ligue 1 and thus not representative of league quality but the number of turnovers and sloppy plays in this game seems really high.  Plus there has been a fair amount of hoof-ball where it is just printed up the field.  I am not great at comparing relative league strength based on the quality of play, but nothing I have seen in this game suggests these teams are head and shoulders above MLS quality. 

Honestly, when it comes to European Leagues, especially the high to mid level ones, I think there's a higher ceiling for the top teams and a lower floor for the bottom compared to MLS.  Spoon-cinnati being the exception, of course. The best MLS teams would not make it to UEFA Champion's league, but the worst ones would probably be less likely to get relegated.

Ugbo had a good chance saved by the keeper, but Troyes kept the ball and scored on the next phase.  Mainly he has been quiet so far, but has held the play well and has made some passes that have caused some havoc.  I like his play so far when Troyes has got him the ball.

Edited by Trois Reds
spelling

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I genuinely wonder how teams like these two would compare to the best MLS teams.  I know they are two relegation-battling teams in Ligue 1 and thus not representative of league quality but the number of turnovers and sloppy plays in this game seems really high.  Plus there has been a fair amount of hoof-ball where it is just printed up the field.  I am not great at comparing relative league strength based on the quality of play, but nothing I have seen in this game suggests these teams are head and shoulders above MLS quality. 

I haven't watched either team play this season (though I feel I may have saw Troyes play Lille pre-Ugbo), and I am not watching at the moment, but if I would have say these bottom tier Ligue 1 teams are probably like typical Liga MX teams in terms of strength (definitely not in style). I say this just based on the type of players you find lower in the Ligue 1 table. 

At Troyes for example, you have guys with a handful of caps from teams like Morocco, Mali, Tunisia, (and now Canada), then a few guys like Mama Balde (Guinea-Bissau), Hyun-hun (South Korea), and Rodrigues (Luxemburg) with stronger resumes and national team involvements.

Then for example, you look at Cruz Azul, with players having a handful of caps from teams like Chile, Paraguay, Ecuador, etc. Some players like Otero, Romero, and Abram are more entrenched with Venezuela, Paraguay and Peru respectively, plus there are Mexican internationals like Antuna and Dominguez who are likewise regulars or semi-regulars for their national sides.  

I would say the strength is relatively even. 

Now I go to check the transfermarkt values to confirm and Troyes comes in at 58M, while Cruz Azul at 61M, which is extremely close.

Checking the MLS transfermarkt values, this would put them at 2nd and 3rd in MLS behind Atlanta, and ahead of Los Angeles FC. 

11 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

No surprise but Ugbo is confirmed to be part of the line-up as he is currently in Miami as per his IG. 

Do we see his first Canada goal this int'l window?

Yeah I’d like to see him get a start. Not much room for him over others right now but if we clinch during the Costa Rica game, it would be awesome to see him get in the starting 11 in either the Jamaica or Panama games 

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to see much more of Ugbo in the coming months. He played a grand total of 13 minutes plus stoppage time in the last window, which still makes it pretty hard to tell how effective he can be.

Even if he starts up top and Larin or David slots in behind in a CAM-type role, I'd be curious to see how he'd do. Now, imagine all three on the pitch at once in a diamond front three. I'd happily go with a 4-3-1-2 with Davies and Buchanan at LM/RM to give that formation a try.  

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

17 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Hoping to see much more of Ugbo in the coming months. He played a grand total of 13 minutes plus stoppage time in the last window, which still makes it pretty hard to tell how effective he can be.

Even if he starts up top and Larin or David slots in behing in a CAM-type role, I'd be curious to see how he'd do. Now, imagine all three on the pitch at once in a diamond front three. I'd happily go with a 4-3-1-2 with Davies and Buchanan at LM/RM to give that formation a try.  

I think that’s too attack minded. Maybe if we NEED a goal with 20 minutes to go in a game

30 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Even if he starts up top and Larin or David slots in behing in a CAM-type role, I'd be curious to see how he'd do. Now, imagine all three on the pitch at once in a diamond front three. I'd happily go with a 4-3-1-2 with Davies and Buchanan at LM/RM to give that formation a try.  

If we don't want a centre midfield, sure why not.

31 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

I think that’s too attack minded. Maybe if we NEED a goal with 20 minutes to go in a game

To each his own. It is an attack-minded formation, but two strikers with a CAM isn't overkill imo - especially when you're playing four across the back. I agree it may not be the best vs a team like Belgium, but I could see something like it maybe vs a Morocco or similar.

18 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

If we don't want a centre midfield, sure why not.

You'd still get Eustaquio at CM. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I dont hate the idea  it probably gets our most talented 11 on the field. But it may not work well in practicality.

LINEUP111649436340008.png

I'd support something like this as well. Thinner at the back than I suggested, but we've played with three defenders instead of four in the past.

Like I said, it would depend on the opponent. Ugbo needs more minutes and it would be nice if he started / was played alongside some of the other core guys. 

15 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I dont hate the idea  it probably gets our most talented 11 on the field. But it may not work well in practicality.

LINEUP111649436340008.png

I am optimistic about Ugbo but I think it is premature to include him in our “most talented 11”.  Just as one example - Adekugbe is sitting on the bench in this scenario and I would rate him higher than Ugbo right now based on what they have done so far.   

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am optimistic about Ugbo but I think it is premature to include him in our “most talented 11”.  Just as one example - Adekugbe is sitting on the bench in this scenario and I would rate him higher than Ugbo right now based on what they have done so far.   

Yeah. Adekugbe has been an important player, and I fully support starting him. Though, Ugbo is a bit of an unknown right now at the national level, but it will stay that way if he doesn't get more playing time. 

9 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I'd support something like this as well. Thinner at the back than I suggested, but we've played with three defenders instead of four in the past.

Like I said, it would depend on the opponent. Ugbo needs more minutes and it would be nice if he started / was played alongside some of the other core guys. 

I imagine this is moreso what you were thinking. Would love to see it at home this summer against Honduras.

LINEUP111649470838150.png

Edited by Stryker911

19 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I imagine this is moreso what you were thinking. Would love to see it at home this summer against Panama.

LINEUP111649470838150.png

This is it pretty well. That said, I imagine there will be a fair amount of depth players used for NL vs Curaçao and Honduras.