Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

I don’t know their exact financial situation but large opinion is that their owner is broke and very cheap. Hopefully they can get something over the line, can’t imagine relegated Troyes will ask for much even if they’re owned by CFG

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Troyes are relegated. No way he plays in National (France D3). 2 years left to his contract. Permanent move to Wednesday would be the best scenario. Someone know if the loan has a buying option?

My Owls friend says he doubts that Wednesday can afford him.

Saw an article from a Sheffield newspaper on Twitter that mentioned that he will likely be too expensive for them. There are some teams in Europe that are interested, but apparently there is a ton of MLS interest. Apparently his time at Woodbridge Strikers, an "authorized youth club", qualifies him as some type of homegrown, and since the expectation is that he wouldn't command a DP salary, a lot of teams could fit him into their roster nicely. I think he makes a lot of sense for TFC and Vancouver.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Saw an article from a Sheffield newspaper on Twitter that mentioned that he will likely be too expensive for them. There are some teams in Europe that are interested, but apparently there is a ton of MLS interest. Apparently his time at Woodbridge Strikers, an "authorized youth club", qualifies him as some type of homegrown, and since the expectation is that he wouldn't command a DP salary, a lot of teams could fit him into their roster nicely. I think he makes a lot of sense for TFC and Vancouver.

Ah yes, the canadian homegrown player who was in Chelsea’s youth system from the age of 10 to 19 and england u17 and u20. 

(mls rules are dumb) 

Edited by king1010

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I know there is a tendency to encourage players to stick it out in Europe when that is still an option but Ugbo hasn't really stuck anywhere to date and has moved around a lot.  A stable environment in MLS wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.  I really do believe that the level of play is no longer a hindrance for guys who want to maintain a competitive skillset.  He is going to be 26 in September so the reality is that he is no longer a developmental prospect - he is a guy who has probably generally hit his potential and now just needs to find a solid paycheck where he can compete.  That may materialize in Europe somewhere but it wouldn't be terrible if MLS managed to repatriate him and keep him in the mix for the Nats.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I know there is a tendency to encourage players to stick it out in Europe when that is still an option but Ugbo hasn't really stuck anywhere to date and has moved around a lot.  A stable environment in MLS wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.  I really do believe that the level of play is no longer a hindrance for guys who want to maintain a competitive skillset.  He is going to be 26 in September so the reality is that he is no longer a developmental prospect - he is a guy who has probably generally hit his potential and now just needs to find a solid paycheck where he can compete.  That may materialize in Europe somewhere but it wouldn't be terrible if MLS managed to repatriate him and keep him in the mix for the Nats.  

I selfishly hope he plays in Europe because I prefer following teams there than in MLS, but aside from that, I tend to agree with you. If he maxes out as a ~10 goal championship guy or like a ~15G MLS quasi-star it doesn't really make a difference to us as a national team and he's also probably the type of player that an MLS team with aspirations of winning something would go for.

Could be a guy a club in Turkey or something goes for and that could be fun, but if I'm him and I have the opportunity to make >$1M USD and live in a nice North American city, I'm there tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Ah yes, the canadian homegrown player who was in Chelsea’s youth system from the age of 10 to 19 and england u17 and u20. 

(mls rules are dumb) 

Funny, my first thought was "this is all nice and reasonable, but does he want to play in North America? He's not even really technically from here..."

He was heavily linked to NYCFC....I wonder if he just stays in the City family and goes over there on loan (or permanent)?

I prefer Europe, but he's still relatively young. Could come over here and catch fire, then head back over there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 7:52 AM, king1010 said:

(mls rules are dumb) 

You have to make rules somehow.

Pogba, Lukaku and Gnabry are homegrown in the Premier League but Eric Dier is not. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

watching the qualifiers for qatar,  (or was that russia?) and this ugbo guy comes on as a late sub and within his first 0:05 smashes a shot which goes inches wide from distance.  me and everybody else in tv land were super stoked this made him cap tied!  i vagely remember he made the qatar squad, but i dont think he got any minutes.

i havent tried very hard looking for him, but where is this dude?  just a 1/2 flash in the pan and hes gone?

Edited by kungfucious

25 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

watching the qualifiers for qatar,  (or that russia?) and this ugbo guy comes on as a late sub and within his first 0:05 smashes a shot which goes inches wide from distance.  me and everybody else in tv land were super stoked this made him cap tied.  i vagely remember he made the qatar squad, but i dont think he got any minutes.

i havent tried very hard looking for him, but where is this dude?  just a 1/2 flash in the pan and hes gone?

I'm surprised he has 9 caps.

50 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

this ugbo guy comes on as a late sub and within his first 0:05 smashes a shot which goes inches wide from distance.  me and everybody else in tv land were super stoked this made him cap tied

And that's been about the sum total of his contribution.  The Voyageurs have a historical tradition of permanently remembering good first impressions and never forgiving or forgetting bad first impressions.

But the fair side of me is loathe to criticize, if a player hasn't been given a reasonable shot and a few full games which he has not.

It would be nice to see Theo

9 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm surprised he has 9 caps.

Just to throw more fuel into the fire..... 216 minutes in 9 caps. 

Meanwhile..... Brym 399 minutes over 13 appearances.  Not exactly the same profile, but still primarily strikers.

15 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

The Voyageurs have a historical tradition of permanently remembering good first impressions and never forgiving or forgetting bad first impressions.

your honour, i plead guilty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, narduch said:

Also noted that Troyes have been reinstalled into Ligue 2 due to the Bordeaux fiasco

That actually puts them in a position to ask for more for a transfer I'd say. A third tier team should basically offload it's players to meet budget. 

That and ManCity bought Savinho from them for a huge fee after his breakout year at Girona (on loan from one City Group to another), so they really don't need anything substantial from Wednesday.