Belal Halbouni

CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Where are his additional minutes coming from lately? I see his game time is ticking upwards which is nice. I have a soft spot for this guy given the path he’s been on with his injuries. If he becomes an MLS starting quality CB, I think that’s a massive W.

He got his break with the Leagues Cup and Voyageurs Cup, and took advantage of it. Looked good. Was put in to the last MLS game because the Whitecaps had 6 players away/injured and the line up was juggled a bit.  When everyone is back and healthy, he's likely back on the bench (except for the Voyageurs Cup final where I anticipate he'll start). But it's also a case of him now putting pressure on the regular starters and being ready to go if any of them stumble/are injured.

48 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

He got his break with the Leagues Cup and Voyageurs Cup, and took advantage of it. Looked good. Was put in to the last MLS game because the Whitecaps had 6 players away/injured and the line up was juggled a bit.  When everyone is back and healthy, he's likely back on the bench (except for the Voyageurs Cup final where I anticipate he'll start). But it's also a case of him now putting pressure on the regular starters and being ready to go if any of them stumble/are injured.

The weird thing is that there aren't any defenders away and Blackmon came back as well. Big picture though, the Caps have been pretty porous defensively and before the last two games, hadn't kept a clean sheet in league play since early May. Perhaps it Vanni's tacit admission that some changes were needed on the back line. Anyway, good to see Halbouni come on for a clean sheet.  

23 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

The weird thing is that there aren't any defenders away and Blackmon came back as well. Big picture though, the Caps have been pretty porous defensively and before the last two games, hadn't kept a clean sheet in league play since early May. Perhaps it Vanni's tacit admission that some changes were needed on the back line. Anyway, good to see Halbouni come on for a clean sheet.  

He pushed Laborda further up the pitch to cover for their lack of attacking options and they recently released Brown. I would anticipate Laborda being back in his regular role of RCB next game. Vanni has yet to admit that his perfect defense doesn't work, despite all evidence to the contrary.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That’s really good to hear. If he gets iced out of the lineup, I wouldn’t mind him ending up in Montreal next season. Syrian/Lebanese Canadian player? That’s an instant fan favourite.

Didn't hear it post-game on the weekend, but listening to the AFTN podcast yesterday - apparently the reason the Whitecaps weren't more active for a CB in the last transfer window is that they think Halbouni can do the job.  Sounds like he'll be given more opportunities over the remainder of this season.  Vanni sounded very high on him.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Didn't hear it post-game on the weekend, but listening to the AFTN podcast yesterday - apparently the reason the Whitecaps weren't more active for a CB in the last transfer window is that they think Halbouni can do the job.  Sounds like he'll be given more opportunities over the remainder of this season.  Vanni sounded very high on him.

I won't go through the whole thread, but I remember wondering if this guy could become a contributor at the national team level back when he was doing well with the Werder Bremen reserves.  Thus my recent question about whether or not he is truly gone.  Decent quality depth may not be his preferred outcome but it would be a good outcome from a canadian perspective.     

19 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Honestly, seeing the Sami Fruit logo on the CS St. Laurent shirts make me wanna get one. Used to drive into the city from the suburbs growing up just to do groceries there. 

Th CS St Laurent Jersey (Sami Fruits Sponsor) 🟠🔵

20240912_082733.jpg

Edited by ahmedou