Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Better move than the other two teams that were mentioned over the last couple weeks. Hope Borjan takes him under his wing, we know he needs that positive role model.

Club has a lot of options in similar positions….

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

He’s not playing for Canada for a few years so I’m not that concerned with immediate reps, and besides, Malmo, who he was apparently locked in to transfer to, barely beat a team from Iceland in the champions league, so at a certain point, you have to prioritize getting to a better club than one that’s gonna give you minutes just because. No idea what RS’ depth looks like, but apparently they wanted him bad, so I hope they give him a shot. 

26 minutes ago, jordan said:

Yep a number of fans are saying they don't see how he gets playing time unless other players are moving on or he's going to play out of position.

Don't know what to make of this. I was happy with Malmo, partly because it was a different league, but staying with Serbia keeps him firmly under their watchful eye. On the other hand, he'll be captained by Milan Borjan who could sway his allegience, maybe.

The clubs are probably roughly on par, though Sweden may arguably have been a slight step up. I am happy to call it a draw because it's probably splitting hairs. The main thing is that he now gets to play in Europe and win domestic titles. I just hope this doesn't sway him closer to Serbia. 

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The IP address attached to these edits, which is only attached to other Mitrovic edits is based in some suburb of Belgrade- do we know if papa is still in Hamilton, or did they go back to Serbia? 

So here's the thing with Mitrovic and the CanMNT: Herdman sees him as a winger which, if true, makes his exclusion a lot more understandable up until this point.  Some around here see him as more of a central player which everyone is eager to see a bit more depth which would naturally generate a bit more urgency to cap.

Questions:

1) For those that have seen him play (and not just read game reports), why would Herdman see him as a winger?  Does that make sense?

2) This is more a general question: can someone who understands how we play and our formation explain to me why we aren't too concerned about having a #10?  With Dias' sparing use during olympic qualifiers and playing Jesse Costa out wide during U20 qualifiers, it seems like we don't really want to have that pure playmaker in the middle of the field.  Is this by design?  Do all three central midfielders need to have a certain defensive acumen for this system to work?

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

So here's the thing with Mitrovic and the CanMNT: Herdman sees him as a winger which, if true, makes his exclusion a lot more understandable up until this point.  Some around here see him as more of a central player which everyone is eager to see a bit more depth which would naturally generate a bit more urgency to cap.

Questions:

1) For those that have seen him play (and not just read game reports), why would Herdman see him as a winger?  Does that make sense?

2) This is more a general question: can someone who understands how we play and our formation explain to me why we aren't too concerned about having a #10?  With Dias' sparing use during olympic qualifiers and playing Jesse Costa out wide during U20 qualifiers, it seems like we don't really want to have that pure playmaker in the middle of the field.  Is this by design?  Do all three central midfielders need to have a certain defensive acumen for this system to work?

It may be explained by our historical struggle to develop high level 10s in Canada.

We don't have any in the current Canadian pool. I struggle to identify one before the Herdman era. From Yallop to Floro, and everything in between, we've never had that sort of player. Did all of those coaches avoid pure playmakers by design? I don't believe so. 

Now as you mentioned we do have Dias coming up, and we do possibly have Mitrovic, who at best appears to be a hybrid CAM/winger, and young Costa as well, so maybe things are changing, but right now I think our system is built the way it is due to necessity, at least at the senior level.

Sure, at the youth levels we do have those CAM types, but we are also committed to mirroring the senior team, so for better or worst I think that takes us away from playing with a 10. I understand the benefits of playing the same way, but I hope we are flexible enough to play to the strengths of our CAMs when we have them. 

He's not a winger, he's an attacking and playmaking mid, from the highlights I have seen. 

His profile is actually similar to Lucas Dias', which is why I am hoping the latter gets onto the Sporting bench this season and we keep him in our programme.

We sacrifice CM possession and playmaking because we have pzazz on the wings, from fullbacks to pure wingers. We use fullbacks as mids, occasionally, like Laryea or Adekugbe, but they are not midfield players in the sense of someone who can play 360 degrees. In fact, for that kind of distribution and support play, we have Eustaquio, Hutch and Osorio, and maybe Piette. I am not rating MAK lately, let him convince me otherwise. 

But we are not going to play a midfield all at once with Stack, Hutch, Oso and Sam, because that'd take away from our outside wing play by forcing us to sit certain players.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

15 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The IP address attached to these edits, which is only attached to other Mitrovic edits is based in some suburb of Belgrade- do we know if papa is still in Hamilton, or did they go back to Serbia? 

Guess it could also be his agent. Red Star are currently ranked 34th overall by UEFA so this is a big step up from Radnički Niš:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_Belgrade#UEFA_Ranking

19 hours ago, VinceA said:

Looks like someone got rid of that weird entry and made it simpler. 

For anyone who didn't see, here is the version people were laughing at: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stefan_Mitrović_(footballer,_born_August_2002)&oldid=1099035222#Red_Star

Edited by rydermike

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's not a winger, he's an attacking and playmaking mid, from the highlights I have seen. 

His profile is actually similar to Lucas Dias', which is why I am hoping the latter gets onto the Sporting bench this season and we keep him in our programme.

We sacrifice CM possession and playmaking because we have pzazz on the wings, from fullbacks to pure wingers. We use fullbacks as mids, occasionally, like Laryea or Adekugbe, but they are not midfield players in the sense of someone who can play 360 degrees. In fact, for that kind of distribution and support play, we have Eustaquio, Hutch and Osorio, and maybe Piette. I am not rating MAK lately, let him convince me otherwise. 

But we are not going to play a midfield all at once with Stack, Hutch, Oso and Sam, because that'd take away from our outside wing play by forcing us to sit certain players.

Yeah, so this is what I was looking for.  What are we asking of our three central players that runs counter to someone with Dias' skillset?  Do all three central midfielders need to be greyhounds covering the length of the field?  Too many defensive responsibilities?  What I am seeing is that even though we have some players with classic #10 skills, we don't play them.

Or, to ask the question differently, if Flores had chosen us over Mexico, would he have played centrally as part of this three or would he have been more advanced like a withdrawn striker?  If Mitrovic is an attacking mid, in Herdman's system, does that mean that he is more a replacement for a David or Larin rather than an Osorio?

I'm not a formation geek.  I don't immediately understand why or how Herdman's system worked during qualifying.  I think it would be good to know this in order to understand who exactly Mitrovic is competing for playing time with.

47 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I'm not a formation geek.  I don't immediately understand why or how Herdman's system worked during qualifying.  I think it would be good to know this in order to understand who exactly Mitrovic is competing for playing time with.

I am a formation geek, and will say the Herdman was very fluid in his setup, swapping from back 3 to 4 at times.  Same with the mids, the only thing he seems set on is having two attackers up front.

Junior has shown he can play the #10 at times, but it's not a role Herdman seems to rely on.  Considering none of our young potential #10's have actually showed up for CANMNT yet, I don't see us modifying the system any time soon.  Perhaps after 1-2 commit to us?

As much as I enjoyed finishing first in WCQ, looking back I think I would have preferred trying new things and more players.  The Larin/David combo just ain't working and will surely be a crutch at the WC if we continue playing that way.  More of James and Cornelius at CB, cause we'll surely need them to be familiar with the team and system.

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

Junior has shown he can play the #10 at times, but it's not a role Herdman seems to rely on.  Considering none of our young potential #10's have actually showed up for CANMNT yet, I don't see us modifying the system any time soon.  Perhaps after 1-2 commit to us?

I'm going by the fact that Jesse Costa (who considers himself a #10) showed up for the U20s and Lucas Dias showed up for the U23s.  Biello coached both teams and, I believe, tried to play like the senior team as much as possible.  Therefore, he is a coach familiar with Herdman's system and yet still opted to keep both players on the bench as much as possible.

It almost seems like our coaches don't trust someone who is pure offense unless they are one of the two up top. 

Put me firmly in the non-formation-geek camp as well. Having said that, if we play a 3-5-2, is it really that much if a change to have one of the 3 central midfielders play a predominantly advanced/offensive role like a 10 - especially with the potential to field two other midfielders that are defensively minded (Staq, Hutch, and Piette can all fill this role)?   Does that leave too much space in the middle - because if not it seems like this sort of role could be accommodated within one of the formations we have used to good effect.  

I feel like the idea of a traditional #10 isn’t that prevalent anymore. Sure some teams still use one but we don’t and so I think that’s why a lot of our creative central players are pushed out wide for the national team. 

I don’t think we need to fixate on our lack of  a 10 or cry about Mitrovic being viewed as a winger in our setup

19 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I feel like the idea of a traditional #10 isn’t that prevalent anymore. Sure some teams still use one but we don’t and so I think that’s why a lot of our creative central players are pushed out wide for the national team. 

I don’t think we need to fixate on our lack of  a 10 or cry about Mitrovic being viewed as a winger in our setup

He probably needs to turn into an 8 if he wants to play in the middle. If he can model his game after Osorio that would be very good as we don't really have anyone else with that skillset in the pool.

31 minutes ago, VinceA said:

He probably needs to turn into an 8 if he wants to play in the middle. If he can model his game after Osorio that would be very good as we don't really have anyone else with that skillset in the pool.

Yeah Osorio is probably the closest thing we have to a 10. We’ve seen him, Hoilett, and Wotherspoon play roles that you could consider like a 10 a different points. They’ve also all played different positions as well though, because we generally don’t play a formation with a real 10.