Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

46 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Weird how his brother has been posting potential Canada lineups, including his brother in them, and has been excited for the release of our lineup.

just for Stef to play for Serbia u21? Somethings up here. Hope OneSoccer can ask the hard hitting questions for once, Instead of posting another video naming every top division Euro team as a potential landing spot for every player on our team. 

I think both brother and father would like for him to rep Canada based on comments and interaction, maybe after a move it becomes juicier for both

8 hours ago, Tyler55 said:

Ivan, has there actually been no contact for Stef from the CSA? Can you confirm this? If John Herdman called Stef tomorrow and invited him for Canada's mach against Iran and for the Nations League team, would Stef join the team? Thanks.

For Ivan and Mark Mitrovic: Has there actually been no recent contact for Stef from the CSA? No talk about the upcoming June Nations League roster? This seems odd. Can you confirm this? If John Herdman called Stef tomorrow and invited him for Canada's mach against Iran and for the Nations League team, would Stef join the team? We want him for Les Rouges! Thanks.

Edited by Stoppage Time
Adding context to my question.

4 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

For Ivan and Mark Mitrovic: Has there actually been no contact for Stef from the CSA? This seems odd. Can you confirm this? If John Herdman called Stef tomorrow and invited him for Canada's mach against Iran and for the Nations League team, would Stef join the team? We want him for Les Rouges! Thanks.

I think the tweet says there was initial contact

9 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I may be wrong, but this is starting to give the same vibes as the Marcelo Flores situation now.

Too many stage moms out there 😜

Completely different than Flores.  Flores grew up watching and cheering for Mexico.  It's the only team he ever wanted to play for.  Stef accepted an invitation to the January camp.  We know this.  Covid ruined things. 

Serbia is a real threat and will steal him away if he feels slighted and ignored.  I hope the media asks the appropriate questions of herdman, but they never ask tough questions, so I'm not expecting it.   

5 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Completely different than Flores.  Flores grew up watching and cheering for Mexico.  It's the only team he ever wanted to play forStef accepted an invitation to the January camp.  We know this.  Covid ruined things. 

Serbia is a real threat and will steal him away if he feels slighted and ignored.  I hope the media asks the appropriate questions of herdman, but they never ask tough questions, so I'm not expecting it.   

Flores also accepted an invite, in january, but it was ruined due to england travel restrictions.

10 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Completely different than Flores.  Flores grew up watching and cheering for Mexico.  It's the only team he ever wanted to play for.  Stef accepted an invitation to the January camp.  We know this.  Covid ruined things. 

Not saying that Flores didn't always have his heart set on Mexico.  However, Flores accepted an invitation to the same January camp as Stef this past year.  Flores also accepted a call to Canada's camp last January 2021 as well.  To top it off, Marcelo was included in Herdman's preliminary Gold Cup squad as well.  So Flores has actually accepted more invitations to Canada camps than Stef has.  COVID and restrictions cancelled both January camps.

Aside from Marcelo and his father both saying they'd like to experience a Canada camp before making a decision, which inevitably did not happen.  However, Mitrovic and his father have definitely been more vocal about representing Canada than Flores' camp.

Edited by Corazon

Just now, Obinna said:

Flores also accepted an invite, in january, but it was ruined due to england travel restrictions.

Do we know this definitely though?  It's a lot easier to understand Stef's intentions because his Dad actually posted on twitter than he accepted the invitation.

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Not saying that Flores didn't always have his heart set on Mexico.  However, Flores accepted an invitation to the same January camp as Stef this past year.  Flores also accepted a call to Canada's camp last January 2021 as well, so he's actually be accepted more invitations to Canada camps than Stef has.  COVID and restrictions cancelled both January camps.

Aside from Marcelo and his father both saying they'd like to experience a Canada camp before making a decision, which inevitably this did not happen.  Mitrovic and his father have definitely been more vocal about representing Canada than Flores' camp.

There's definitely more pulling Mitrovic towards Canada.  Corbeanu is one of his best friends.   I would hate to lose him as a player when he seemingly was more willing to give Canada a go than Flores.  I mean he lead his 1st team in scoring.  I don't understand on merit why he isn't being called in, let alone his duel national status.  

29 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

There's definitely more pulling Mitrovic towards Canada.  Corbeanu is one of his best friends.   I would hate to lose him as a player when he seemingly was more willing to give Canada a go than Flores.  I mean he lead his 1st team in scoring.  I don't understand on merit why he isn't being called in, let alone his duel national status.  

FWIW - Marcelo Flores and Corbeanu are also close friends as well. 

I do agree 100% that Mitrovic seems far more likely to join Canada than Marcelo did.  Based on his interviews and tweets from relatives both seem to demonstrate this as well.  I'm in full agreement that he should 100% be called in at this point.  We are one or two injuries away from being very thin in the midfield.  I also think that Mitrovic is the type of midfielder we currently lack.  The most similar player we've had in recent years would arguably have been Arfield and now Osorio.  I do not understand his omission if he is not included on the roster.  Unless, it was Mitrovic's decision to stick with Serbia U21 for the time being.  It is likely the better option for his club career as he looks to move this summer.  These U21 games will be widely watched by European club teams.

37 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Do we know this definitely though?  It's a lot easier to understand Stef's intentions because his Dad actually posted on twitter than he accepted the invitation.

Yes. I believe it was mentioned in a CSA press release that Flores was slated to join but England restrictions derailed that. And wasn't this also the case for Jebbison by the way, or am I miss remembering? I remember two players in England not being able to come. Maybe the other one was Corbeanu, who was already cap tied to us.

16 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Plus Serbia is also qualified for Qatar just like Canada is, so how can we not be sure Serbia won't try to cap tie him before we do or convince him to play for them instead of us?

Serbia has a much deeper talent pool than us and most of their MNT play in top 7 leagues- it’s rare enough to see a red star or Partizan player, let alone someone playing for Niš. I also don’t think that losing him to CANMNT that tries to cap tie him early would be as big of a blow for Serbia as it would be for Canada. Maybe he gets called up, who knows, but he’s in a similar (but tougher IMO) spot as Flores where it’s like, okay, you wanna play for the historically good team, that’s great, now you actually have to make it on merit.

57 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I do not understand his omission if he is not included on the roster.  Unless, it was Mitrovic's decision to stick with Serbia U21 for the time being.  

Judging only by the tweets, it would not seem that way.  Based on that, it's pretty clear the call from CANMNT never came.  

Honestly... if he wants to play for Serbia, let him. Move onward and upward. These guys need to stop using the CANMNT as a way to build leverage when negotiating international caps with other countries. If you are really that good, your country will come knocking. Clearly something is off and maybe we can't see it at the moment.

9 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

Honestly... if he wants to play for Serbia, let him. Move onward and upward. These guys need to stop using the CANMNT as a way to build leverage when negotiating international caps with other countries. If you are really that good, your country will come knocking. Clearly something is off and maybe we can't see it at the moment.

That isn’t what is happening here. He has openly shown interest in playing for Canada. Everything points to Canada soccer being the reason he doesn’t play for us if he does commit to Serbia. I think we’re always going to lose out on a ton of great players by virtue of being a smaller soccer nation with a massive immigration population, but for cases where the interest is there, there is a strong connection to Canada, the player is very good, you either need to lock him down or revise the procedures that failed so that the next Mitrovic (and there will be at least 10 before 2026) doesn’t commit to his parents’ country because his birth country did not do what they have to. Serbia has a very good soccer team, but they aren’t Mexico and they aren’t England- you aren’t going to win much more with them than you are with Canada, so letting Mitrovic go should at the very least trigger a review of how Canada communicates with youth players, because you cannot let this keep happening and expect Canada to be competitive in time for 2026.