Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

I don’t think this guy has sources like that, but he usually doesn’t post random speculation- I’d love to see Mitrovic and Buchanan chase another title- obviously so tajon can earn a well deserved transfer and for future canmnt star mitro to take over the club in his second season.

22 minutes ago, VinceA said:

There could be a few issues, including just his paperwork isn't going through fast enough. Plus it's not the first time a team has called up a player but then the player withdrew. Happened to Trinidad with Luke Singh when he opted to train with Canada instead.

Yeah, strange indeed. 

If it were just a lagging paperwork issue and Mitrovic's Serbian days were numbered why would Serbia still call a player with no national team future? Perhaps in hopes he withdraws the paperwork?

I don't have a good feeling about it all, personally. And if we lose Mitrovic on the heels of losing Flores that (to me) would end the positive momentum of dual national recruiting we've been building with Eustaquio and others.

For a while it felt we were landing more player than we were losing, and if we hadn't landed them yet it was just a matter of time. I would need Mitrovic to land on Maple Leaf to believe that trend is still intact, basically.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, strange indeed. 

If it were just a lagging paperwork issue and Mitrovic's Serbian days were numbered why would Serbia still call a player with no national team future? Perhaps in hopes he withdraws the paperwork?

I don't have a good feeling about it all, personally. And if we lose Mitrovic on the heels of losing Flores that (to me) would end the positive momentum of dual national recruiting we've been building with Eustaquio and others.

For a while it felt we were landing more player than we were losing, and if we hadn't landed them yet it was just a matter of time. I would need Mitrovic to land on Maple Leaf to believe that trend is still intact, basically.

Flores & Mitrovic, and add on Kadioglu, Yankov, Sali and Tomori.  That's a lot of talent we confirmed as lost in a short time, it hurts. 

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

Flores & Mitrovic, and add on Kadioglu, Yankov, Sali and Tomori.  That's a lot of talent we confirmed as lost in a short time, it hurts. 

And gained 1 in Ugbo? Our recent successes has clouded the losses.

Edited by Shway

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, strange indeed. 

Because there's always the chance he changes his mind.

I think everyone needs to step off the ledge here until we get some more concrete news. He's already played on the Serbian youth teams so I'm not sure why this U21 callup has everyone spooked. He's expressed interest in playing for Canada before so let's wait until Canada's rosters are announced for the next window before panicking.

2 minutes ago, Wasp said:

I think everyone needs to step off the ledge here until we get some more concrete news. He's already played on the Serbian youth teams so I'm not sure why this U21 callup has everyone spooked. He's expressed interest in playing for Canada before so let's wait until Canada's rosters are announced for the next window before panicking.

I just hope media ask him about this. They've been very poor at asking Herdman to clear up certain situations. We haven't heard anything from his camp on Holmes, Solholm and their eligibility except from Mr. Annoying. Nor have we really with Mitrovic.

Ugbo also publicly committed to nigeria like 8 months ago, and since then has been cap tied by Canada. Obviously Serbia is gonna call him up to the U21s especially considering that Canada has games at the same time, so it forces him to choose. But this is what national teams do. After Flores said he’d commit to the team that would bring him to the World Cup, Mexico basically told him he has to make his decision clear or leave us alone. This is no different from that- Serbia is basically telling Canada either call him up to your national team or he’s going to be playing with us for a while. 

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

We gained Akinola.

We seem to be losing the midfielders, coincedentlly. That hurts because we aren't that deep there. A lot of young options but none with the ceiling of Flores, Mitrovic, Ferdi.

After this Serbia U21 camp, there is a good chance the team will not qualify for the final tournament or the playoffs:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_H

If so, this would be the last competitive U21 matches for Stefan until September 2023 at the earliest.

This is a chance for him to get more playing time than he would with the #CanMNT.

If Herdman and staff have shown a genuine interest, I think there is a decent chance he files his switch by mid-June.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

apparently it’s Mitrovic day today. Not calling him up to the NT this window would be Canada’s biggest fumble in a long time.

We probably lost him because we didn't even bother calling him to Olympic qualifying last year.

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

We probably lost him because we didn't even bother calling him to Olympic qualifying last year.

I don’t think that’s fair. Aside from dias who was already playing on the best club of any of our U23s were at the time, Mitrovic would’ve been the youngest player on that team by a few years. I don’t think Canada was in a place where they could offer a spot to a 17 year old in a tournament they have to be competitive in.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t think that’s fair. Aside from dias who was already playing on the best club of any of our U23s were at the time, Mitrovic would’ve been the youngest player on that team by a few years. I don’t think Canada was in a place where they could offer a spot to a 17 year old in a tournament they have to be competitive in.

Ok.

But he should have been on the preliminary list at least 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

1 hour ago, Shway said:

47 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We gained Akinola.

We seem to be losing the midfielders, coincedentlly. That hurts because we aren't that deep there. A lot of young options but none with the ceiling of Flores, Mitrovic, Ferdi.

These are strange takes, imo.  I think in order to "lose" something it had to be possible to win it in the first place.  I don't think that's true in all these cases:

Flores - If anyone really believed that he was really ever choosing between Canada and Mexico, then they didn't have a good account of what was going on.  He would only have been ours if Mexico turned him down.

Kadioglu - He never minced words with regards to Canada.  We were always third choice (at best).

Sali - I don't think it's good for the long term future of the program if we start capping 16 year-olds.  And from what the father says, Canada was a distant second to Romania.

Tomori - We just passed the six-year anniversary of Tomori leaving, so I don't really know why he's on this list.

Yankov - That one hurts.  He would've been good.

Marmoush - Was never going to play for Canada.  Never.

Mitrovic would be a tough loss because he should be ours and that would be a failure if he isn't.  Not sure I could say the same for any of the above.

I would be as pessimistic as everyone else here if we knew that we didn't try for any of these guys.  But we have confirmed reports of lobbying for Flores, Kadioglu and Yankov.  There is also unconfirmed reports for Sali.

Further to that, there's been more than just Ugbo and Akinola. In the recent past, we've brought in Gutierrez, Singh, Corbeanu, and Sturing from other programs.  Not to mention the prospects of Bunbury or Dias.  Compare that with the players that were "lost" that were legitimate candidates to join Canada (and not just pipe dreams), I personally still think we're up, but just barely if Mitrovic stays with Serbia.

1 hour ago, Wasp said:

Not saying you're wrong, but to flip it around why would Mitrovic bother with a Serbian U-21 camp if he's already in the paperwork process for a Canada switch?

Different circumstances, but same situation as Yankov if you know what I mean.

There are reasons to be more optimistic than with Yankov, but the realist in me says Mitrovic is leaning Serbia right now. Just seems to be the most likely explaination given what we know.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Tbh we never stood a chance with almost everyone here. Only Sali is a loss maybe and tbh I’m not sure he’s being advised properly.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

These are strange takes, imo.  I think in order to "lose" something it had to be possible to win it in the first place.  I don't think that's true in all these cases:

Flores - If anyone really believed that he was really ever choosing between Canada and Mexico, then they didn't have a good account of what was going on.  He would only have been ours if Mexico turned him down.

Kadioglu - He never minced words with regards to Canada.  We were always third choice (at best).

Sali - I don't think it's good for the long term future of the program if we start capping 16 year-olds.  And from what the father says, Canada was a distant second to Romania.

Tomori - We just passed the six-year anniversary of Tomori leaving, so I don't really know why he's on this list.

Yankov - That one hurts.  He would've been good.

Marmoush - Was never going to play for Canada.  Never.

Mitrovic would be a tough loss because he should be ours and that would be a failure if he isn't.  Not sure I could say the same for any of the above.

What you are saying is true only for the bolded players: Marmoush, Ferdi and Sali, though he is more debatable than the other two.

Everyone else is/was fair game and would rightfully be considered a loss, even if some of them (like Flores) were always unlikely.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Naw, they could have found a spot for him. Especially when the TFC contingent had to pull out, including Jayden Nelson who's the same age and would have been there.