Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

It just adds another wrinkle to the complicated FIFA rules and is another reason why we need to take the youth program seriously.  Get these kids involved, get them on track to represent canada, qualify for all these tournies.  And then its Mexico, Portugal or Seriba that have to convince them to file the one time switch to leave us, not the other way around.   

I believe the one time switch applies to official competitions (ie. a World Youth Cup, Continental youth cup, etc). Eustaquio played for Canada U17 in some invitational friendly tournament (AGS cup), so that's why it probably didn't count. 

Also, I believe it's certain age groups as well, for example Lucas Dias played for Portugal U16 before playing for Canada U23. I think U16 is too low of an age group to count.

40 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It just adds another wrinkle to the complicated FIFA rules and is another reason why we need to take the youth program seriously.  Get these kids involved, get them on track to represent canada, qualify for all these tournies.  And then its Mexico, Portugal or Seriba that have to convince them to file the one time switch to leave us, not the other way around.   

I think it’s less about the youth system and more about professional opportunities. As someone who has ties to Serbia, it’s way easier for Mitrovic to move here to play youth soccer because he’ll be more exposed to better senior teams and get more looks from other European clubs. Same with the slew of Portuguese Canadians who immediately move to Portugal at 13. The other option is to grind it out in the CPL and then hope an MLS team signs you, and then hope you get solid enough exposure to go to Europe. I think this will be a problem for as long as there’s a significant gap between MLS and other top leagues or unless the CPL somehow starts competing with some of the lower tier European leagues.

InglewoodJack.....I was refering to keeping these duals eligible for Canada.  If we had regular Canadian u-17/u-20 camps, tournies etc etc, maybe Mitrovic would have been tied to us through those programs before he went to Serbia eh??  Sure go to europe if you can make it in the pro ranks, but it shouldnt automatically follow that the kid is lost to another national team eh?  

19 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

InglewoodJack.....I was refering to keeping these duals eligible for Canada.  If we had regular Canadian u-17/u-20 camps, tournies etc etc, maybe Mitrovic would have been tied to us through those programs before he went to Serbia eh??  Sure go to europe if you can make it in the pro ranks, but it shouldnt automatically follow that the kid is lost to another national team eh?  

Oh that’s absolutely true, and I wish that we developed those programs better. My concern isn’t who he’s cap tied to, he can file the one time transfer if necessary. It’s more a case of it being so much easier for Serbia to convince a player to buy into their system when he’s living and playing in the country. Anyone in their organization can attend every Niš game, they can visit him at home, etc. Contrast that to if he was playing in the CPL or MLS where Herdman and co could scout him personally, develop a rapport- hell, Bontis could personally take his family out to dinner and schmooze them. The reason a lot of these players want to play for the country of their heritage is for emotional/family reasons in many instances, so what Canada needs is proximity to their dual nationals and to build and maintain relationships so that these kids feel part of the program, and I think that starts with better professional opportunities in North America. Though a massive overhaul Of the youth system would certainly help.

Edit: for some reason I was under the impression that he came up in Serbia’s youth system, I forgot he had signed directly with Niš from a club in Canada. 

Also- wow there are 3 Stefan Mitrovic currently playing professional football; makes searching for him tricky, lol.

Edited by InglewoodJack

I just accidentally went to the first page of this thread and I saw that the OP said that Mitrovic had a release clause of 400k. I’m going to assume that’s not the case any longer or else he would’ve definitely been gone in January. 

4 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Has Ivan leaked anything regarding whether or not Mitrovic is joining the team in the June window?

Not so far. Haven't noticed anything and think he has been very quiet in terms of mentioning anything Canada related or liking tweets mentioning mitro for Canada.

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

Not so far. Haven't noticed anything and think he has been very quiet in terms of mentioning anything Canada related or liking tweets mentioning mitro for Canada.

Uncharacteristic of him, no? Could that mean there are positive developments afoot? He has been loud when nothing has transpired, so perhaps the opposite this time?

On 5/14/2022 at 1:19 AM, toontownman said:

I just looked through his Twitter likes, and over the past few weeks, most of it is Canada or Jokic related, lol. Lot of canuck abroad, CANMT, northern futbol likes too. Some random person tweeted at him telling him he hopes to see Mitrovic play for Canada this summer and he liked it. I actually don’t see a single tweet about serbian football that he’s “liked”.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:11 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Serbia U21 play France U21 on Thursday, June 2nd.

Serbia are normally not too late to announce squads. I'd expect that before the end of next week we will know if he is with their U21 team again.

The senior Serbian team also has 4 Nations League matches but unless he REALLY excels, a call for those seems unlikely.

He is included in Serbia's U21 squad for June:

https://fss.rs/u21-selektor-goran-stevanovic-saopstio-spisak-igraca-za-duele-protiv-francuske-i-farskih-ostrva/