Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

I have  a lot of thoughts on this. I am not very concerned who he choses. It's his decision. We have a strong enough player pool that I will not be upset as I was when Jonathan de Guzman chose the Netherlands. There are players like Jebbo and Dias that are playing at a higher level or for better clubs. 

Also as some one who is Serbian and has parents and relatives who watch the league I am not very convinced that this guy is going to be an above average player. He plays for a team in Serbia who is not Partizan or Red Star. The other teams are not very good! He is 19. If he was projected to be an above average player he would have been sold by now. That is how the leagues work in the Balkans. If you are good you are out by 18 or 19. That is the big issue why teams over there cant develop and compete on the European stage. Except one or two teams, and those teams have issues with money and cant pay players on time. I.E the issue with Borjan. They are so cash strapped that they do not have the luxury of keeping their talented youngsters. 

So all this hype is coming from Ivan..and him playing in the under 21 team does not mean he will be anything. I could be wrong. But I don't think that I am. Would he be a nice depth piece? Yes. But he is not a guy that I am worried about.

We are churning out lots of prospects that I am not worried for the class that will be here for the 2026 WC. 

Edited by Vasi

1 minute ago, Vasi said:

He plays for a team in Serbia who is not Partizan or Red Star. The other teams are not very good!  

This is always my first thought when I hear people shouting in favour of Mitrovic or even Richie Ennin. The Serbian SuperLiga and the Russian Premier League have a drop off that is SIGNIFICANT after the top few clubs. Our more recent positional players in those leagues were Stefan Cebara (with midtable Vojvodina) and Joe Di Chiara (with relegation avoiding Krylya Sovetov) who soon after have become just alright players in the CanPL. This isn't so different to what we've seen with players on mid-bottom table clubs in the SPFL for years. At least Radnicki is in 4th, but that is a 35 point drop off from second place, so they aren't anywhere near the Partizan/Red Star tier. Heck, 5 of his 7 goals this season came against clubs in the relegation zone and the other two were clubs that are only a few points above it.

I hope Mitrovic's capability at this level shows an ability to move upwards, but I'm not going to pencil him into the 2026 XI until he takes that next step. Even if he were to move to Red Star, I think he would need to become a first team regular to solidify himself in our 23. I'm hopeful that Stefan continues to improve and has a great career, but I'm not going to act like he'd be a crucial loss at this point. Right now he's worthy of a call to youth camps, but I agree with Herdman calling up Kone in front of him. 

36 minutes ago, Vasi said:

I have  a lot of thoughts on this. I am not very concerned who he choses. It's his decision. We have a strong enough player pool that I will not be upset as I was when Jonathan de Guzman chose the Netherlands. There are players like Jebbo and Dias that are playing at a higher level or for better clubs. 

Also as some one who is Serbian and has parents and relatives who watch the league I am not very convinced that this guy is going to be an above average player. He plays for a team in Serbia who is not Partizan or Red Star. The other teams are not very good! He is 19. If he was projected to be an above average player he would have been sold by now. That is how the leagues work in the Balkans. If you are good you are out by 18 or 19. That is the big issue why teams over there cant develop and compete on the European stage. Except one or two teams, and those teams have issues with money and cant pay players on time. I.E the issue with Borjan. They are so cash strapped that they do not have the luxury of keeping their talented youngsters. 

So all this hype is coming from Ivan..and him playing in the under 21 team does not mean he will be anything. I could be wrong. But I don't think that I am. Would he be a nice depth piece? Yes. But he is not a guy that I am worried about.

We are churning out lots of prospects that I am not worried for the class that will be here for the 2026 WC. 

This, 100%.  Right now he is likely just on the outside looking in for our midfield but he is even further down the pecking order with that Serbian midfield.  Like I said before, I would call him in for Nations League (if its a B or A/B squad) or friendlies but we are clearly set with our current crop of midfield.  He probably is playing a higher level than Fraser though but clearly Fraser's history with Canada is taken into account.

If he makes the jump to Red Star or Partizan, it would definitely help his chances with our National Team.  But a quick look at the current Serbian roster and players that have been called within the past 12 months, there has been one exactly one call up for Partizan & one call up for Red Star.  A 19 year old from Partizan with 2 caps called up to play a friendly vs Japan and a 31 year old from Red Star with 4 caps and who was playing for AEK Athens at the time of his call up last March.

Stefan is a few levels away from the Serbian men's program.  The one thing going for him is that they are aware of him given he currently plays with the U21's.

Edited by Corazon

I really don't see the big issue here. His age group in NA got wiped out so the only youth football he could play is if Canada plays some friendlies at the U23 level (doubtful, but perhaps if they don't make the OLY they will have something for them just to get some games in) or if our U20s do the near impossible and qualify for the Olympics.

Euro youth levels are much more flexible and he can play for one so why wouldn't he. On Northern Futbol in his interview he said if Canada had youth camps he would have happily come so I think he will ultimately join Canada but thats up to Herdman making the call and asking him to file his one time switch.

This is the next step in sorting out Canada;s f*cked up soccer landscape.  I understand sorting out the senior team first, Priorities and all that, but they need to get the youth programs humming along as well.  If we had camps, took this seriously like other countries we wouldnt be hearing these weird stories.  19 year olds, playing youth ball for other countries even though they lean towards canada, but we dont play any games so they gravitate away from us.  We are soon going to have 3 regional lower tier leagues, CPL and MLS academies, plus Sigma etc..popping out kids.  They need to get them integrated into a strong CDN youth programs, with good coaches and a priorities for making the OLY etc and we we'll see guys commit earlier.  And instead of a few wonderkids magically appearing, we'll have a steady stream of solid pros for Herdman to pick from.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

This is the next step in sorting out Canada;s f*cked up soccer landscape.  I understand sorting out the senior team first, Priorities and all that, but they need to get the youth programs humming along as well.  If we had camps, took this seriously like other countries we wouldnt be hearing these weird stories.  19 year olds, playing youth ball for other countries even though they lean towards canada, but we dont play any games so they gravitate away from us.  We are soon going to have 3 regional lower tier leagues, CPL and MLS academies, plus Sigma etc..popping out kids.  They need to get them integrated into a strong CDN youth programs, with good coaches and a priorities for making the OLY etc and we we'll see guys commit earlier.  And instead of a few wonderkids magically appearing, we'll have a steady stream of solid pros for Herdman to pick from.  

I think these problems will hopefully be a thing of the past. The CSA seems to have gotten its shit together a bit recently, since Herdman has come in, and the money from the World Cups should help. It hasn’t helped recently that the youth tournaments have been cancelled because of Covid, so it really moved it down the priority list for CSA, particularly considering they had limited funds to begin with.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:03 PM, An Observer said:

I believe Osorio was one of the 4 I think Oakville youth players that went to Uruguay for a few years.  Cav was one, I think Grant and the other guy was Ferriega (sp?) if my memory serves correctly.  Cav stayed the longest.

Really difficult to pin this down as there was little news back then and it was often up to the discretion of the MOACA keeper when to remove someone from the list.  Someone may find him on a list at another time but unless there is a corroborating article mentioning Osorio the lists aren't verifiable.  In my case I usually left people on the list until I heard specifically they were gone.

Canadians on Trial
December 17th, 2009

Tristan Grant - Club Nacional (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1) Youth
Anthony Papaterpos - Club Nacional (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1) Youth
Lucas Cavallini - Club Nacional (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1) Youth
Jonathan Osorio - Club Nacional (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1) Youth
Joshua Portillo - Club Nacional (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1) Youth

May 27, 2011

Lucas Cavallini - Club Atlético Juventud (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1) on loan from Club Nacional (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1)
Andres Fresenga - Racing Club de Montevideo (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1)
Tristan Grant - Club Nacional (Uruguayan Primera Division) (1)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

I am not going to turn away any young talented player that wants to get involved in the program.  Maybe he turns into a top player, maybe he doesn’t.   And since Mitrovic still seems to have lots of potential, I would welcome his participation at whatever level his play warrants.   At the present time that isn’t at the senior level and if not getting called up for WCQ is a big issue for him or anyone else, then so be it - don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Sure I would love it if every eligible dual wanted only to play for Canada - but that isn’t reality.  But with the prospects we have in the pipeline I am not losing any sleep over someone who chooses to go elsewhere - whether it is Mitrovic, Flores or whoever.   No pining over some kid still learning to shave, and no being held hostage by some agent/parent/advocate.  For the foreseeable future, Canada is going to the World Cup, and fuck anyone that doesn’t want to be a part of that.  

I find it interesting that fans (myself included) and pundits alike were stoked for Mitrovic a few months ago, when he was being linked to some very good clubs and was set to come in to camp in January.

Now that rumors and such things have cooled, so to has the way we are talking about him, with some seeming to question whether he's ready for the full national team, or at least they seem to be okay with him missing out. 

First of all, this player hasn't likely regressed just because the move to a bigger club never came off. He has done nothing more than get more games and score more in the Serbian Superliga. If anything he should be more ready than before, right? 

I feel we have shiny new toy syndrome to a degree, and now that Mitrovic's future seems to be in Serbia (at least until summer), the potential new toy doesn't appear as shiny. 

I think there's also a "Kone" factor at play here.

Personally, I care less about Mitrovic because I am just so pumped for Kone. 

6 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

The Serbian SuperLiga and the Russian Premier League have a drop off that is SIGNIFICANT after the top few clubs. At least Radnicki is in 4th, but that is a 35 point drop off from second place, so they aren't anywhere near the Partizan/Red Star tier. 

That's honestly crazy. I checked. In 4th,yet,they're closer to 16th (last place) - 18 points away - than they are to 2nd place - 35 points away. That's just insane non-RedStar/Partizan parity in that league 

Edited by rydermike

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I find it interesting that fans (myself included) and pundits alike were stoked for Mitrovic a few months ago, when he was being linked to some very good clubs and was set to come in to camp in January.

Now that rumors and such things have cooled, so to has the way we are talking about him, with some seeming to question whether he's ready for the full national team, or at least they seem to be okay with him missing out. 

First of all, this player hasn't likely regressed just because the move to a bigger club never came off. He has done nothing more than get more games and score more in the Serbian Superliga. If anything he should be more ready than before, right? 

I feel we have shiny new toy syndrome to a degree, and now that Mitrovic's future seems to be in Serbia (at least until summer), the potential new toy doesn't appear as shiny. 

I think there's also a "Kone" factor at play here.

Personally, I care less about Mitrovic because I am just so pumped for Kone. 

I think part of the colouring of our perceptions of Mitrovic is his dad. Stefan isn't doing anything except playing his game and keeping his head down but his dad keeps blabbing and putting a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Similar thing is happening with Flores' dad who will talk to anyone in Mexico willing to listen about Marcelo while he keeps ducking Canadian media. The parents are negatively affecting their kids PR wise. Flores' is different situation as Mexico is actually calling him up and playing him and trying to claim him while Serbia seems more indifferent to Mitrovic and is cool with just keeping him in the U21s.

Edited by VinceA

10 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think part of the colouring of our perceptions of Mitrovic is his dad. Stefan isn't doing anything except playing his game and keeping his head down but his dad keeps blabbing and putting a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

1000% this.

At the same time, nothing makes me cringe more than when I see fans go at the parents on Twitter. Just as much as we think the dad's and other relatives blabbing puts a bad taste in our mouths, imagine the perspective of the kids. You think seeing a bunch of people tweeting shit at their dad is going to push him closer towards us?? As a collective we need to be better and at the least, keep it confined to these forums.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Similar thing is happening with Flores' dad who will talk to anyone in Mexico willing to listen about Marcelo while he keeps ducking Canadian media. The parents are negatively affecting their kids PR wise. Flores' is different situation as Mexico is actually calling him up and playing him and trying to claim him while Serbia seems more indifferent to Mitrovic and is cool with just keeping him in the U21s.

I get the criticism of the dad and agree with your post, but what is it about the dad exactly that cools people off on the player? Do you think people just don’t want a guy like that (the dad) dragging down the national team? Or do you see it as people discounting Stefan just to spite the dad? Maybe both?

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get the criticism of the dad and agree with your post, but what is it about the dad exactly that cools people off on the player? Do you think people just don’t want a guy like that (the dad) dragging down the national team? Or do you see it as people discounting Stefan just to spite the dad? Maybe both?

Its the entitlement. 

Thats what doesn't sit well with me

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Its the entitlement. 

Thats what doesn't sit well with me

Narduch hits the nail on the head. It's one thing to be supportive and involved. Kennedy and Millar's dads go about it the right way. When Millar missed out on camps Spitfire simply would say that Liam needed to keep working and it would all come good for him (and it has in spades),

Ivan upon the Canada team being named for this window and Serbia U21 calling up Stefan went on some rant about no one ever believing in Stefan and he was happy Serbia was calling him up. Last year he even implied that Nick Bontis had it out for him and club politics were involved. None of this reflects well on Stefan, and even more the fact that Ivan continues to spew his crap out the wrong opening to this day makes it look like Stefan nor his agent have tried to stop him, which further sours people on the kid. Obviously family dynamics are what they are and maybe they have spoken to him but from an optics POV it doesn't look good.

The January window transfer rumours and the constant "reporting" from Ivan that ultimately led to nothing didn't help either.

I think everyone wants Stefan to play for us and wants the best for the kid, but hearing a helicopter parent complain and complain when their kid isn't getting call-ups is tiring and a turn off.

We're also currently going through it on another front with Flores' dad (on a lesser level) so its just more unwanted noise.

Just now, Obinna said:

Thanks. I guess that falls in the 2nd category (discount the player to spite the dad’s entitlement).

I think that is a bit presumptuous to say people are discounting the player to spite the father.

Nobody here is the spiting the player. The only person doing any spiting is the father.

Besides I think its pretty fair to question how high a level the Serbian top flight is.

One of the most hilarious things I've seen the past few days is some twitter troll complaining that Kone has been selected instead of Mitrovic.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Narduch hits the nail on the head. It's one thing to be supportive and involved. Kennedy and Millar's dads go about it the right way. When Millar missed out on camps Spitfire simply would say that Liam needed to keep working and it would all come good for him (and it has in spades),

Ivan upon the Canada team being named for this window and Serbia U21 calling up Stefan went on some rant about no one ever believing in Stefan and he was happy Serbia was calling him up. Last year he even implied that Nick Bontis had it out for him and club politics were involved. None of this reflects well on Stefan, and even more the fact that Ivan continues to spew his crap out the wrong opening to this day makes it look like Stefan nor his agent have tried to stop him, which further sours people on the kid. Obviously family dynamics are what they are and maybe they have spoken to him but from an optics POV it doesn't look good.

The January window transfer rumours and the constant "reporting" from Ivan that ultimately led to nothing didn't help either.

I think everyone wants Stefan to play for us and wants the best for the kid, but hearing a helicopter parent complain and complain when their kid isn't getting call-ups is tiring and a turn off.

We're also currently going through it on another front with Flores' dad (on a lesser level) so its just more unwanted noise.

That one-time switch issue is a bit of an anchor.

Its not like Herdman can just select Mitrovic at the last second. And how do we know he would even accept? All we usually get from Mitrovic's camp are weasel words stating they are still interested.

There's is a lot of the story we probably don't know, despite whatever his dad spouts off.

4 hours ago, kacbru said:

Mitrovic - yawn.  I'm only here because it says at the bottom that I have an unread topic.

Speaking of unread topics... anyone know if its possible for individuals to "unpin" the 7 first threads or is it only the admins who can do it?  Perhaps just my OCD acting up, but it kinda irks me!

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Speaking of unread topics... anyone know if its possible for individuals to "unpin" the 7 first threads or is it only the admins who can do it?  Perhaps just my OCD acting up, but it kinda irks me!

🙋‍♂️ just a fellow OCD human over here.  Happy someone mentioned this as well 😂