Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

Our boy Uncle Ivan is back at it again trying to clarify he was talking about youth soccer in Canada, not specifically the National Team. Damage control? Most likely. Although I do think most people in this forum would echo the sentiment of one of the more recent tweets, up until the past few years it has been challenging for our young players: 

It becomes even funnier when he continues by quoting Zlatan

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Only so much a kid can say to a parent from the former Yugoslavia. Different culture from Canada.

Really now?  My father was from the former Yugoslavia and I grew up pretty independently, as did many of my relatives.  Mind you, Stefan is 40 years younger than me, but that should have made it worse for me, no?

39 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Osorio, Crepeau?

8 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I mean, I don't necessarily disagree that we could use a full overhaul, but the claim that "every single kid has to leave Canada to become a player" is not true. Our two clearly best players learned basically all their soccer in Canada.

I agree with @El Diego. It's not that our system hasn't had success. You could argue a Davies will shine regardless of the system. Other products like Osorio, Crepeau definitely are products of early MLS Academies and development pathways. On the whole, I think that's is hard to dispute tho is that as a nation we've under-developed and under-performed.

Now that there's seemingly more and better options in our development pathway through the CPL, extra money invested into our provincial leagues, and still the MLS academies, we hopefully will see more quality and more quantity being produced at home than ever before in the years to come

At some point Ivan needs to shut the fuck up and let his kid do the talking. Major helicopter parenting vibes from him. This isn't like some of the good folks who drop by these boards once in a while to give some insight. 

Even if Mitrovic is good enough to crack the national team, do you really want the distraction of his father around?

As much as I wouldn’t want my dad making these kinds of statements in any sort of widely public forum, I suspect that most coaches wouldn’t give two shits about these tweets if he thinks Stefan can be an impact player.  That goes for Herdman, the Serbian coach, or the coach of a team that is considering buying him.  In the grand scheme of things it is a minor consideration - and likely not something that will have any significant impact.  Now, if your kid is on the fringe of a team or is basically even with another player, it could potentially tip the scales but in this case I suspect Stefan will have a great career despite these tweets.  

Good day, Ivan!

The March WCQ window is coming up. We hope to see Stefan in a Canada shirt for at least the camp and hopefully on the pitch. We are pretty sure that Herdman and Stefan's camp have spoken and continue to do so.

We are pretty sure that his future club situation will get sorted out in good time when his agent arranges some offers from interested clubs.

We hope that Stefan progresses, scores and sets up a few, and avoids getting hurt.

In the meantime, some of us might give a little stick here and there. All in good fun, man.

Good luck to your boy.

Cheers.

I grew up with a bunch of kids with parents from that part of the world and they all have this perspective of Canadian soccer. They were very good players but felt the Canadian mindset didn't appreciate their approach to the game. Very technical, thinking & plotting, not a lot of waisted movement. They always thought other kids who were faster, bigger, would hustle all around who get opportunities before they would. Their belief in this kinda "discrimination" almost bordered on comical at times but it's not as if I didn't totally understand what they were saying 

5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

As it looks like Kone has received a callup might it behoove us to call up Mitrovic as well.  I suppose if he did get a callup we would have already heard through the telegraph err television err teleIvan.

Wasn’t he just called up to the Serbia U21 team for this window? 

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I am convinced that Herdman did indeed try to call him for this window.

We are virtually qualified and Herdman must have been looking to bring along a couple of kids on the cusp. We did see reports yesterday that there will be some surprises in this roster.

His father's blow up was a push back against rejecting the call up. Trying to make Canada Soccer look the villain here.

That's my conspiracy theory.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I am convinced that Herdman did indeed try to call him for this window.

We are virtually qualified and Herdman must have been looking to bring along a couple of kids on the cusp. We did see reports yesterday that there will be some surprises in this roster.

His father's blow up was a push back against rejecting the call up. Trying to make Canada Soccer look the villain here.

That's my conspiracy theory.

Your conspiracy theory was that Ivan was conspiring with himself to make the CSA look bad?