Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

5 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

That soccer one video is hard to watch why would Stefan change soccer federations and how does CSA have mitrovic that low on the depth chart smh

He would change soccer federations in order to play for Canada. Why would Canada call up a player to this window that isn't eligible to play in any of the 3 2 games?

He needs to switch to play. If the manager of the national team asks you to switch, do you think he would be doing that just for spite for Serbia? Of course not, Herdman is asking Mitrovic to switch so he can pick Mitrovic for some games. If Mitrovic says he won't switch, what message do you think that sends to Herdman? It sounds to me like he is saying he doesn't want to play for Canada (at least not yet).

Edited by Kent
Cripes, just saw the news that the Iran game is cancelled.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

He would change soccer federations in order to play for Canada. Why would Canada call up a player to this window that isn't eligible to play in any of the 3 2 games?

He needs to switch to play. If the manager of the national team asks you to switch, do you think he would be doing that just for spite for Serbia? Of course not, Herdman is asking Mitrovic to switch so he can pick Mitrovic for some games. If Mitrovic says he won't switch, what message do you think that sends to Herdman? It sounds to me like he is saying he doesn't want to play for Canada (at least not yet).

Would you switch? Herdman and co have shown zero interest to move forward with him i wonder how much CSA actually communcates with stefan, i wouldgo to train with the team and if I felt an opportunity was there to play in a world cup then make a switch

16 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

Would you switch? Herdman and co have shown zero interest to move forward with him i wonder how much CSA actually communcates with stefan, i wouldgo to train with the team and if I felt an opportunity was there to play in a world cup then make a switch

You don't know this. 

He was asked to switch so he could play for us.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, Mitchryan11 said:

Saying "Hey Stef, we need you to file a switch so you can play for Canada" doesn't sound like "zero interest". It's not like everyone gets a robocall. I know I didn't get a robocall asking for me to make sure I have my eligibility in order.

I am not a dual national, so I can only speculate, but I think that if I was Stefan and I actually wanted to play for Canada, hell yes I would switch! I mean, Serbia has shown zero interest in having him play for the senior team right? Why do they get to show no interest at the senior level but Canada asking him to switch is still not enough? What does Canada need to do? Guarantee World Cup playing time? You can't do that. Maybe he's playing awfully by November. Or maybe if he had made the switch when he was first asked and was in this camp, maybe we see that we can't get much out of him in our system. You chose a squad for the World Cup based on how you think you can maximize your results. Not based on promises to players. Wouldn't a playing time guarantee be labelled as the kind of politics that Ivan was complaining froze Stef out of Forge and TFC?

When and how many times was Mitrovic asked to switch?

What communication has Herdman or anyone from Canada Soccer had with the Mitrovic camp and when?

I could say I don’t buy the “lack of communication”, but this is kind of just talking in circles.  Until we know the facts, that’s all we’re doing here.

I don’t see how clarity and being up front (both parties) would harm their positions.  Mitrovic could say he wanted to feature for Serbia U21 for scouts.  Herdman could just come out and say he’s down on the depth chart if they truly feel that way.  Both sides are looking amateurish.  

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’m operating on the assumption that Canada is severely lacking in scouting abilities and has not updated their processes as well as they may have led us to believe. I mean, *I’ve* personally watched Mitrovic footage, it isn’t like he’s playing in the 3rd division in Borneo, I just wonder if Canada is lacking. Look at the last two young call ups we’ve had- Kone had 4 good games, Koleosho plays 10 minutes in La Liga and gets called up. It almost feels like they do their scouting via Twitter.

As footyeh mentioned, almost anyone can pay up for scouting analytics platform. A popular one is wyscout where you can get video clips of almost anything along with analytics to identify player strengths & weaknesses.

https://wyscout.com/

9 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

Yeah well they literally just called up Kone off of a handful of good MLS games and looked out of place at the WCQ so I can't see why mitrovic with he's ceiling would be so low

Receny bias. Kone looked good vs Costa Rica and then flopped against Panama. Typical inconsistencies of a young player.

As evidenced by Kone's thread here, he passed everyone's eye test when they watched him for the first time in CCL. Then he had a spectacular match against Atlanta that sealed his selection.

1 hour ago, red card said:

As footyeh mentioned, almost anyone can pay up for scouting analytics platform. A popular one is wyscout where you can get video clips of almost anything along with analytics to identify player strengths & weaknesses.

https://wyscout.com/

I think they know his potential, they are just trying to save face, because he won’t commit…it’s like a “you didn’t dump me, I dumped you” mentality 

Edited by SoCalTransport

My family is from Italy but I was raised here in Canada so I count myself as a Canadian - Italian . If I was a talented Soccer player  and had most of my Training here in Canada before I ventured to Europe . and lets say my talent level was in the Alphoso Davies range , I would choose Canada without any hesitation, why  It will be a huge slap in the face to all the coaches who were probably volunteers , that spent time helping me out , My friends and family on both sides of the Atlantic would probably be very pissed at me If I choose to play for another country  other than Canada .

My family is from Italy but I was raised here in Canada so I count myself as a Canadian - Italian . If I was a talented Soccer player  and had most of my Training here in Canada before I ventured to Europe . and lets say my talent level was in the Alphoso Davies range , I would choose Canada without any hesitation, why  It will be a huge slap in the face to all the coaches who were probably volunteers , that spent time helping me out , My friends and family on both sides of the Atlantic would probably be very pissed at me If I choose to play for another country  other than Canada .

This whole Mitrovic thing kind of reminds me of the whole Owen Haregraves situation , and also Asimer Begovic too. His old man , who I never met or seen kind of reminds me of  that father of that NBA player Lonzo Ball  who was such a huge annoying prick a few years back.  and in all honesty Mr Mitrovic Sr needs a huge slap in the face just to shut him up 

2 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

This whole Mitrovic thing kind of reminds me of the whole Owen Haregraves situation , and also Asimer Begovic too. His old man , who I never met or seen kind of reminds me of  that father of that NBA player Lonzo Ball  who was such a huge annoying prick a few years back.  and in all honesty Mr Mitrovic Sr needs a huge slap in the face just to shut him up 

True. But the bad thing for Mitrovic is that he is not on the same talent level as Haregraves.  I see Mitrovic commiting in 5 years after Serbia sticks to their stars. They are stacked on offence.

But the Lonzo Ball comparison is perfect. 

9 hours ago, Vasi said:

But the Lonzo Ball comparison is perfect. 

If it’s a perfect comparison then Mitrovic will be a great player.

Lavar was stupid annoying with the branding and touting of his sons…. But look where they are now.

The media gave him the platform, and he only got quiet when it was taken from him.

10 hours ago, narduch said:

On the latest Northern Futbol podcast Galindo states that Canada did ask Stefan to come for this window but he declined

I heard this too. The impression I got was that Canada does indeed rate him below pretty much every other option at his position, but they did still invite him, and Mitrovic rejected. It makes sense, because if he commits today, he risks spending his entire international career playing garbage time instead of finally making the call once he’s a more established player who can actually contribute to Canada or Serbia. 

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I heard this too. The impression I got was that Canada does indeed rate him below pretty much every other option at his position, but they did still invite him, and Mitrovic rejected. It makes sense, because if he commits today, he risks spending his entire international career playing garbage time instead of finally making the call once he’s a more established player who can actually contribute to Canada or Serbia. 

If he gets garbage time for Canada he is not getting called up to the Serbian ST. 

If that is the decision, it is a very short sited one.  However this decision would imply that his group is utilizing logic in their decision making.

Unfortunately, being from the Balkans my self, i known the mentality. This is all about pride and not wanting to go to the the option that rejected you before.

2 minutes ago, Vasi said:

If he gets garbage time for Canada he is not getting called up to the Serbian ST. 

If that is the decision, it is a very short sited one.  However this decision would imply that his group is utilizing logic in their decision making.

Unfortunately, being from the Balkans my self, i known the mentality. This is all about pride and not wanting to go to the the option that rejected you before.

Oh, absolutely- I meant more so in terms of keeping his options open, as it stands, Serbia has “integrated” him more into their camp, so to tell them that actually, he’s gonna turn his back on them to go warm the bench in Canada for who knows how long is probably not a good decision, especially considering if he doesn’t file his one time switch, worst case, he’ll end up riding the bench in Serbia, a (currently) better team. If he’s smart, and I think he is, he’ll wait a couple years before committing, and by that point, if all pans out, he’ll be at a bigger European club and will be able to play a bigger role on whichever team he chooses, and he’ll have more leverage to play one team off another. 

my girlfriend is Serbian, and I’ve spent time there, I know the mentality you speak of. It would be unfathomable to beg for scraps from Canada when they consider you below Jayden Nelson.