Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You have the formula for a long happy life, you are doing better than I am. 

I have to admit, being so close to Qatar now, it is all dressing from here on in. I would like to get a goal, and a result, in the group stage. I might get greedy about making knock-out rounds.

That's not getting greedy. That's just observing the obvious. Unless disaster happens, this is a team that can make it to the round of 16.

8 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

That's not getting greedy. That's just observing the obvious. Unless disaster happens, this is a team that can make it to the round of 16.

Wait, you think it’s a disaster if we don’t make the round of 16 in a World Cup? I’m very hopeful as well, and think we have every chance to make it, but it certainly wouldn’t take a disaster not to.

55 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Wait, you think it’s a disaster if we don’t make the round of 16 in a World Cup? I’m very hopeful as well, and think we have every chance to make it, but it certainly wouldn’t take a disaster not to.

Read the post again. I said, "unless disaster happens...." I did not say it would be a disaster if we don't make the round of 16. In other words a disaster is the the alarm clocks of all our team players fail for all three games, or the pilot kidnaps the plane and flies them to the Gobi Desert or the scheduling director at CSA books the wrong tickets for the wrong hotel in the wrong city.  I'm trying to keep my disaster examples innocuous but I can think of more serious and dangerous examples.

I hope I cleared up any confusion on your part.

26 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Read the post again. I said, "unless disaster happens...." I did not say it would be a disaster if we don't make the round of 16. In other words a disaster is the the alarm clocks of all our team players fail for all three games, or the pilot kidnaps the plane and flies them to the Gobi Desert or the scheduling director at CSA books the wrong tickets for the wrong hotel in the wrong city.  I'm trying to keep my disaster examples innocuous but I can think of more serious and dangerous examples.

Not really? Why not just say this is a team that can make it to the round of 16 then? I agree with that though, so all good.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Does being drawn in a group with France and Germany count as a disaster in your books? Or would your expectation still be that if our players get a good night sleep before each game and show up on time that we should make it out of the group without question?

I am hopeful we can get out of the group. Ever since the 4-1 win over Panama I started thinking this looks like the kind of team that gets out of the group in a World Cup. But it's far from a slam dunk.

And like Unnamed Trialist, I am definitely looking to check off the milestones he mentioned along the way. Get a goal, get a point, get a win. We've got to see those firsts before we can get out of the group (OK fine, we don't technically HAVE to score a goal or win a game to advance to the knockout round).

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Does being drawn in a group with France and Germany count as a disaster in your books? Or would your expectation still be that if our players get a good night sleep before each game and show up on time that we should make it out of the group without question?

I am hopeful we can get out of the group. Ever since the 4-1 win over Panama I started thinking this looks like the kind of team that gets out of the group in a World Cup. But it's far from a slam dunk.

And like Unnamed Trialist, I am definitely looking to check off the milestones he mentioned along the way. Get a goal, get a point, get a win. We've got to see those firsts before we can get out of the group (OK fine, we don't technically HAVE to score a goal or win a game to advance to the knockout round).

Different personalities see reality differently. You've jumped to the conclusion that if we draw France and Germany it's a disaster. You haven't stated it but it's implied in your question.

This team has played Mexico and the USA four times and we drew twice and won twice. Right now both those teams are in the 2nd pot with your dreaded Germany. Draw your own conclusions what I think about Germany and France in our group. We played 7 of 11 games without the best left back in the world. Many posters on this board are underselling this team. That's fine. Their prerogative. But don't come to me with your snarky attitude about a good night sleep. I think this team this past year has played like a Pot 2 team. You don't think so. Great. 

Edited by Sal333

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Maybe this will be us.  I'll take it.

fcPecVX3ykM.jpg

So many guys would fit the profile.  Borjan?  Laryea, Johnston, Henry?  Hutch might get crazy emotional and do it too.

Edited by costarg

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Different personalities see reality differently. You've jumped to the conclusion that if we draw France and Germany it's a disaster. You haven't stated it but it's implied in your question.

This team has played Mexico and the USA four times and we drew twice and won twice. Right now both those teams are in the 2nd pot with your dreaded Germany. Draw your own conclusions what I think about Germany and France in our group. We played 7 of 11 games without the best left back in the world. Many posters on this board are underselling this team. That's fine. Their prerogative. But don't come to me with your snarky attitude about a good night sleep. I think this team this past year has played like a Pot 2 team. You don't think so. Great. 

No, I don't think it's a disaster if we draw them. I think our odds of advancing out of the group will be below 50% if we draw them though. I asked you if that draw would be a disaster because it seems realistic to me that we may not get out of that group, and you said it would take a disaster to not get out of the group. So it would follow that either that draw is a disaster, or you think we should stroll right through that group.

You mentioned we played Mexico and USA four times. If you rewind another couple months we actually played them 6 times, with 2 wins, 2 draws, and 2 losses. I don't disagree with you that we could in reality be a pot 2 quality team. But in a group with a pot 1 team and 2 pot 2 teams, (and a pot 4 team to boot) with only 2 moving on, a good team is going to get left behind. Even if we go with your 2 wins and 2 draws against pot 2 teams, what happens if we lose to France and draw Germany? Let's say everyone beats the Pot 4 team and France and Germany tie. We are out. Or France beats Germany, but Germany could beat us on the tiebreaker.

As I mentioned, I have believed for months that there is a very, real possibility we could get out of the group stage in 2022. But in my opinion you make it sound all too simple.

Edited by Kent
I missed the 4 in pot 4.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Is it me or was that yards offside?  Good for him though!

Doesnt look close to being offside, just pause the run before the ball is delivered. Very clearly behind the last defender.

edit: Just saw the replay lol you're right.

Edited by BigMo

9 minutes ago, lbula17 said:

According to Serbian media, he is most likely heading to Crvena Zvezda this summer. I do not know how reliable the media is, but most of the time they seem to get it right.

He goes there I think it is a slam dunk he's playing for Canada.