Joel Waterman

nolando

Kind of inconsequential for the CMNT what happens with Waterman at this point. He's at best a depth CB for us. Personally, I'd like to see more of LDF and ZKL -- more upside and lots of years to shadow guys playing at a high level like Bombito and Cornelius. Plus, we always have Miller, who can still challenge for a starting spot. 

The only thing I would say is Cornelius was totally off the radar for a few years and forced himself back in at 26 years old, and Bombito didnt get much buzz until late last summer at 23. I wouldnt stop watching anyone off who is a solid MLS quality now.  And I really dont get the "stagnating" talk.  If montreal wants to upgrade or move him on its one thing.  But putting in a steady years as a starter, doing this stupid mid season LMX tournie, playing against Messi/Suarez etc in a tougher MLS, getting into CMNT rosters...all that should be making him a better defender.  Crafty mature CBs dont become crafty overnight.  Going somewhere else and possibly sitting on the bench doesnt help him much.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think the only kind of challenge would be joining a side like Columbus, or LAFC, or Inter Miami. A winning side that will go deep into the continental competitions and win silverware. In a way it's be trading one role for another, going from the main guy in defense for Montreal to a cog in a winning machine elsewhere, but that in itself is a growth opportunity. 

So, he could do that, or he could stay with Montreal and keep being the continuous veteran surrounded by a transient young core. That gives him the space to be a  leader, but he won't be soaking in much knowledge from older and better players.

I agree Europe is probably off the table, but who knows. He's an English-speaking guy, maybe he can move to the Championship or the SPL, maybe an Aberdeen/Hearts level club?

Those MLS teams, Europe, those would indeed be challenges, but I don’t think any would improve him to the point of climbing our depth chart- I think his absolute peak is our 5th CB behind Bombito, DC, LDF, and Kamal Miller. Plus, I do have to put on my CFM supporter hat for a second- I always want what improves our national team, but I don’t think he has enough growth left to warrant Montreal losing their defensive anchor. We’ve lost so many players this year and so many others want out that I do want to watch a competitive team play whenever I go to the stadium, and waterman, for better or for worse, is currently one of the club’s most important players right now. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The only thing I would say is Cornelius was totally off the radar for a few years and forced himself back in at 26 years old, and Bombito didnt get much buzz until late last summer at 23. I wouldnt stop watching anyone off who is a solid MLS quality now.  And I really dont get the "stagnating" talk.  If montreal wants to upgrade or move him on its one thing.  But putting in a steady years as a starter, doing this stupid mid season LMX tournie, playing against Messi/Suarez etc in a tougher MLS, getting into CMNT rosters...all that should be making him a better defender.  Crafty mature CBs dont become crafty overnight.  Going somewhere else and possibly sitting on the bench doesnt help him much.

He is good. I think you could toss him In a gold cup or nations league match against weaker opposition and he’ll look just fine. But he is a known quantity at this point, and he won’t be a factor at the next World Cup or any major tournament, he is just a good, reliable MLS starting CB with an awesome story about climbing every rung of the Canadian soccer ladder. I don’t think him playing with “veteran leadership” is going to transform him at this point- he has played quite a few games alongside Rudy Camacho, one of the league’s best veteran CBs. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

I just hate counting anyone out.  look how quick Shaff went from, mehhhh mb he makes the squad (what about theo/bryn etc), to the big break out star after a wing spot opened up.  And people were wondering if we didnt need Liam Fraser in camp last go round.  A guy that a few years ago wasnt playing in MLS and then had a terrible trip into europe...but could be a useful piece in a certain situation.  I know the flavor of the month is Bombito and Cornelius, but a tough season in france or an injury or two and we'll be glad we have Miller and guys like Waterman, Mcraw, Heibert etc involved in the program as a pool to draw from.  

21 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I just hate counting anyone out.  look how quick Shaff went from, mehhhh mb he makes the squad (what about theo/bryn etc), to the big break out star after a wing spot opened up.  And people were wondering if we didnt need Liam Fraser in camp last go round.  A guy that a few years ago wasnt playing in MLS and then had a terrible trip into europe...but could be a useful piece in a certain situation.  I know the flavor of the month is Bombito and Cornelius, but a tough season in france or an injury or two and we'll be glad we have Miller and guys like Waterman, Mcraw, Heibert etc involved in the program as a pool to draw from.  

I may not have been around here in 2015. But I wonder what people were saying about Vitoria after his stint at Philadelphia.

Edited by narduch

If MacNaughton can come back and pick up where he left off prior to his injury, I would consider putting him ahead Waterman on the depth chart.  I don't particularly rate Waterman but he's probably ahead of both Hiebert & McGraw for me as well right now.

Edited by Corazon