Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Does listening to The Streets a lot in the aughts count?

Probably.  My English music phase was earlier (and later).  Was trying to be a jazz college kid in the earlier 00s.  

Unfortunately "Bristols" is one of two phrases that come to my head when the city is mentioned, the other being the older and more dignified "Ship-shape and Bristol-fashion."

To be fair, my best mate in England was from Weston-super-Mare and supported Bristol City, so I do always wish them well, especially with JKL emerging. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Probably.  My English music phase was earlier (and later).  Was trying to be a jazz college kid in the earlier 00s.  

Unfortunately "Bristols" is one of two phrases that come to my head when the city is mentioned, the other being the older and more dignified "Ship-shape and Bristol-fashion."

To be fair, my best mate in England was from Weston-super-Mare and supported Bristol City, so I do always wish them well, especially with JKL emerging. 

I'm just a big fan of the Bristol holy trinity, Portishead, Massive Attack and Tricky

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

The only good thing about Bristol is the music.

Taking this thread into a new wacky and interesting direction by saying I have a soft spot for Manchester City owing to Manchester being home of some of the greatest and most unique artists of all time, from oasis to The 1975

31 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Depends whether you know cockney rhyming slang or not.

Need to know the club is called City for that one.

2 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

How many CPL games have you made it out to this year? Or if Hamilton and Toronto are too far to support local what about FC London?

Exactly how many times do I need to post on here that I am not currently working in London before people cease and desist with this jibe? If I lived within a reasonable travel distance I would go to games regularly. I don't so I watch via Onesoccer. Unlike some on here I just watch the soccer and don't feel a need to latch onto the Forge for gloryhunting reasons.

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Taking this thread into a new wacky and interesting direction by saying I have a soft spot for Manchester City owing to Manchester being home of some of the greatest and most unique artists of all time, from oasis to The 1975

My distant cousins introduced me to the Madchester stuff when I was pretty young.  Still regular parts of my playlists. 

Probably sacriledge since it was Oxford and London but walking around at night with "Made of Stone" in my earphones are some of my clear memories of England. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My distant cousins introduced me to the Madchester stuff when I was pretty young.  Still regular parts of my playlists. 

Probably sacriledge since it was Oxford and London but walking around at night with "Made of Stone" in my earphones are some of my clear memories of England. 

A lot of the UK stuff just didn't land for me until I was much older. The first band I put together when I was 13, we would cover Joy Divison and The Cure and I thought those songs were just so boring. Same with Oasis, who I thought were just some overrated pub rock band until I sat down a while back and forced myself to listen to the first two records until I figured it out- I think I get it now. Tried the same with Radiohead, unfortunately didn't get the same results. 

I did grow up with a lot of the old UK punk on at the house- a bunch of my dad's friends were in early punk bands here, back when everyone wanted to sound British, so here I was at 12 or 13 going to school and telling friends to listen to UK Subs, Angelic Upstarts, The Clash, The Damned, so on.  

Funny enough, my notion of regional accents in the UK more or less stems from whatever bands I know. Oh, this guy sounds like Paul McCartney, must be from Liverpool, such and such sounds like the guy from Bring Me the Horizon, that's a Yorkshire accent, so on. If I'm not mistaken, the singer of the 1975 grew up near Manchester but is originally from Newcastle (or vice versa), so I get to feel really smart when I say "well in this interview, he sounds like Liam Gallagher, but in this other interview he sounds like, uh... you remember that guy who used to coach canada?"

Since the thread is all over the place I will chime in on "Gloryhunting", I have been a Hearts and QPR supporter for over 40 years, I have never lived in Scotland or England but have been over to watch these teams play, Hearts have won 3 Cups in that time, QPR nothing except a play off final at Wembley in 2014 which I attended, hardly glory hunting! Forge from my home town of course have been great and maybe that helps to balance the lack of success of the other teams I support, I would never begrudge anyone for supporting Forge from anywhere regardless of the reason!

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How exactly were you supporting Hearts and QPR 30 or 40 years ago when there would have been no way to watch their games in a Canadian context? Keeping an eye on a club's results in the sports section of the Spectator isn't being a supporter. Being a supporter to me means you actually go to games regularly.

So if that’s the case, most of the people here do not support any club or even their country.  I find this the most snobbish, classist thing you can say.  I’m glad you aren’t the judge and jury for who is a supporter.  

10 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm just a big fan of the Bristol holy trinity, Portishead, Massive Attack and Tricky

A lot of good memories of these 3 back in the day when I was living in London in late nineties, early noughties. Actually, those memories are quite hazy from all the substances I was ingesting while listening to them at the time. 

Edited by An Observer
Grammar

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

So if that’s the case, most of the people here do not support any club or even their country.  I find this the most snobbish, classist thing you can say.  I’m glad you aren’t the judge and jury for who is a supporter.  

If @Ozzie_the_parrot was the admin of CSN Forum we'd have been all banned 🥲 

11 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How exactly were you supporting Hearts and QPR 30 or 40 years ago when there would have been no way to watch their games in a Canadian context? Keeping an eye on a club's results in the sports section of the Spectator isn't being a supporter. Being a supporter to me means you actually go to games regularly.

I suppose you are too young to remember the Saturday afternoon soccer show on channel 47 with Dale Barnes? They showed extended highlights of both clubs and I actually spent thousands of dollars going over to watch these teams play, I would say that is support even if it isn't regular enough to fit your definition!

8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Here here, and very well said.  

4 hours ago, gator said:

I suppose you are too young to remember the Saturday afternoon soccer show on channel 47 with Dale Barnes? They showed extended highlights of both clubs and I actually spent thousands of dollars going over to watch these teams play, I would say that is support even if it isn't regular enough to fit your definition!

And you were with the Gorgie Aggro when they took on Section B in Airdrie? You are not from somewhere like Wester Hailes or Pilton so Hearts aren't really your club as far as I'm concerned. If that's snobbish for some people on here so be it. The truth hurts sometimes. The Forge could be that for you if Bob Young doesn't decide he's had enough in a few years if there's no pot of gold for him at the end of the 2026 World Cup rainbow. Too often though Canadian pro soccer clubs have been all about being one investor's temporary plaything as part of the latest unrealistic masterplan that ultimately leaves nothing tangible behind in a Dale Barnes and Hamilton Steelers sort of way.

There's a reason why I'd be more comfortable with something more mundane revolving around regional bus travel that would be happy to welcome a club like CS St Laurent into the fold with no expansion fee charged when they have grown organically to the point when they can take on a bigger challenge. I would like to see the soccer community in smaller cities from coast to coast having something that they can genuinely support from generation to generation rather than just until the investor loses interest Fath brothers style. The Mediapro and CSB deals were supposed to be what was going to make things different this time. Mediapro are exiting when this season ends and the CSA and national teams want to renegotiate...