Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

Posted (edited)

In the highly unlikely event anyone forgot.

Scottish Cup final from Hampden tomorrow AM.  9 o'clock kickoff Winnipeg time.  Could be a wild one, we'll see.  Always great fun when both sets of Old Firm fans get into the same park.   

Celtic going into this one with a herd of their regular starters rested and looking for the double.  Believe Ali was in crutches for last year's final?

Edited by Cheeta

• 3 weeks later...

Better chance of being hit by lightning than Ali being sold on.  That said, ask me again in a couple of weeks and I may have a different answer.

Don't dismiss the weight of money.  The man is making more than he'd imagined he could at this game but it really wouldn't be hard for him to double his wages if he catches the right eye.  Loving where you are only counts for so much.

On 6/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, frmr said:

Interesting poll on the Celtic subreddit about whether it's time to cash in on AJ. Some good insight into how they view him after his first season and a half.

https://new.reddit.com/r/CelticFC/comments/1dekrwa/is_it_time_to_sell_aj/

For anyone too lazy to read, most of the comments were a resounding absolutely not

He actually has a similar position/age/experience as Juranovic when he was sold by Celtic to Union Berlin for 8.6 million euros after buying him for 3. Johnston's value is around that as well after they bought him for 3.5. the fans might not like it, but that's the way a team like Celtic stays in business. 

I would personally love it if he were to move to a bottom to mid table Premier League or Bundesliga team. 

8 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

He actually has a similar position/age/experience as Juranovic when he was sold by Celtic to Union Berlin for 8.6 million euros after buying him for 3. Johnston's value is around that as well after they bought him for 3.5. the fans might not like it, but that's the way a team like Celtic stays in business. 

I would personally love it if he were to move to a bottom to mid table Premier League or Bundesliga team. 

I would too but Johnston is perfectly happy at Celtic and not to mention he gets to win league titles and be a Champions League regular in Scotland. He's in a good situation right now. Like why leave?

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I would too but Johnston is perfectly happy at Celtic and not to mention he gets to win league titles and be a Champions League regular in Scotland. He's in a good situation right now. Like why leave?

Because Scotland is a poor level for an international player and he can make more $ elsewhere. 

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Juranovic had a bigger upside from the national team, however. 

I think Johnston is fine another season at Celtic, there's no rush. Though I do agree most of his matches in SPL aren't demanding enough.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Juranovic had a bigger upside from the national team, however. 

I think Johnston is fine another season at Celtic, there's no rush. Though I do agree most of his matches in SPL aren't demanding enough.

One more year at Celtic is also fine because Celtic are already in the group stage of the Champions League.  But next year, the SPL has dropped out and they'd have to qualify (something the SPL clubs have struggled at).  So, one more year of CL and enjoying his time at Celtic makes sense before moving on.

53 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

One more year at Celtic is also fine because Celtic are already in the group stage of the Champions League.  But next year, the SPL has dropped out and they'd have to qualify (something the SPL clubs have struggled at).  So, one more year of CL and enjoying his time at Celtic makes sense before moving on.

If he were to move on then hopefully he goes to the Bundesliga next

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2024 at 7:26 AM, Kusch to the Corner said:

Alistair got a mention in the Germany, Scotland Euro opener.

Commentator mentioned him as the starter at RB for Celtic ahead of a Scotland international.

To be fair, Ralston started for Scotland because 2 ahead of him were injured but still great to see for Johnston.

I thought Alistair struggled during the friendlies and start of Copa. But he has been such a great and consistent player in the last couple of games. He has been great.

Venezuela started Soteldo on his side at the beginning of the match. Then switched him to Davies side for the 2nd half after Soteldo could do anything against Johnston.

Unsung part of the success at Copa

Posted (edited)

My view of Johnston is he is not a world-beater but a solid and very consistent player. I do think his level gets found out playing the very top teams (like Netherlands and Argentina, for example) but against everyone else he is very effective. I felt the same regarding his performances in Qatar.

My biggest knock on him is his play in the air, but this is reduced in importance playing as a pure right back instead of in a back 3.

Edited by jonovision

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

My view of Johnston is he is not a world-beater but a solid and very consistent player. I do think his level gets found out playing the very top teams (like Netherlands and Argentina, for example) but against everyone else he is very effective. I felt the same regarding his performances in Qatar.

My biggest knock on him is his play in the air, but this is reduced in importance playing as a pure right back instead of in a back 3.

He is going to struggle against elite let alone world-class pace, and we have seen a few wingers/fullbacks with that in the last month (just a month - take that in).

One thing we haven't used or had to use much is a slower set offense.  His crossing from that is one of his best qualities.  If you watch Celtic, they have break down teams like that a lot. 

7 hours ago, jonovision said:

Everything Johnston did as a RCB was going above and beyond.  He just isn't a CB and shouldn't be judged on it because one coach chose to play him as one.

On 7/6/2024 at 7:03 AM, jonovision said:

When you play for a team that dominates most rivals in the league, then the style of Scotland where you can just throw it forward since your team is good enough to get it back and start again, you are carrying forward some defects that show at a higher level.

Like in Champions, usually, and some games for Canada, where it does not seem like it's enough. He very often just dumps it up, or flicks it, he's imprecise, his possession game could use some work. Then he  makes errors going forward, rashly, and at the wrong time, when he needs to hold position, he made an error like that on the giveaway for the Jamaica goal in Toronto. 

Defensively I think he's fine, he's tenacious and his holding is good, he is not that easy to beat; like any fullback it'd be better for him to have help vs. a strong rival wing. That is about it. He has a great mentality, is a positive athlete and is very articulate, he has plenty of room to grow.