Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

2 hours ago, canadianbacons said:

You have to be kidding that De Paul is on this team. Spent more time rolling on the ground then on his feet.

As much as he's dislikeable and has no honour or style and he's immoral in his family life he did send a sweet ball for the first goal...

1 minute ago, sebdeserio said:

As much as he's dislikeable and has no honour or style and he's immoral in his family life he did send a sweet ball for the first goal...

Big engine sh*t disturber, as well.

It was definitely a sweet ball, but we needed to close him down better, as well.

No word of movement I have seen.

Other than moving towards the aisle (someday)

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/inside-celtic-star-alistair-johnstons-29556498

Inside Celtic star Alistair Johnston's engagement at stunning Scots beauty spot

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9fmuaKoAnT

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Made the official Copa America team of the tournament 

Been waiting for this to come out. Glad at least one of our guys got recognized for having a good tournament.

Feels like we should have at least one more, but probably hard to argue anyone else deserves ahead of the selections. I thought Davies was quietly solid, but I don't know how good Hincapie was, despite Ecuador playing 2 less games than us. Crepeau was excellent, but can't argue against Martinez when Argentina won it all. Shaffleburg had a breakout tournament, but Raphinha is an elite "brand-name" player and Brazilian. Kone or Eustaquio perhaps would have gotten the nod ahead of Ugarte had we beaten them in the 3rd place game, but at the same time there was no way there'd be 0 Uruguayans. So much of it depends on how your team does, rightly or wrongly. 

Messi probably doesn't deserve to be there, but it's Messi. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2024 at 10:41 PM, ahmedou said:

Always defending Canada very well. In the pitch. And outside the pitch.

That's my defenceman. 

Screenshot_20240731_223929_X.thumb.jpg.6478701534986e85a3a8d880bff5d454.jpg

The post by Keith Woods was made in bad taste considering recent immigration levels have nothing to do with the make up of the national team, unless said team was full of international students of Punjabi descent, which obviously isn't the case here. Immigration and it's effect on Canadian society is an issue that needs to be addressed but an intelligent conversation is needed so both right wing and left wing race baiting is kept to a minimum.

Edited by Macksam

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

The post by Keith Woods was made in bad taste considering recent immigration levels have nothing to do with the make up of the national team, unless said team was full of international students of Punjabi descent, which obviously isn't the case here. Immigration and it's effect on Canadian society is an issue that needs to be addressed but an intelligent conversation is needed so both right wing and left wing race baiting is kept to a minimum.

This is kind of an oxymoron since "Canadian society" is roughly 95% immigrants or descendants of immigrants. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

This is kind of an oxymoron since "Canadian society" is roughly 95% immigrants or descendants of immigrants. 

Everyone everywhere is a descendant of immigrants if you go back far enough.

I am generally a pro-immigrant guy, but it is pretty apparent Canada's current immigration policy is unsustainable due to a shortage of housing. 

Canada also had an immigration policy which prioritized skilled workers and economic immigrants. Now, Canada is letting students enroll in low-quality colleges for fake diplomas or watered-down programs designed to make money, not to educate. 

Ideally, Canada would crack down on fake education, reduce immigration in the short term, build more houses, then increase immigration again. But that will never happen.

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Immigration is great and what we are built on. It's the speed of immigration that needs to be addressed. It's causing infrastructure challenges that Canada is struggling to deal with.

Maybe it's not the speed of immigration that needs to be addressed. Maybe it's the speed of upgrading our infrastructure. 

Here in Quebec our illustrious premier uses the infrastructure excuse as a reason to limit immigration. Anyone with half a brain knows that's not the reason. It's out and out racism. I'm not saying that's what motivated your post. Here in Quebec  we saw a tad under 70 K immigrants in 2022. The premier wants to limit it to 50K while the business community tells him we need more immigrants. The province's population is 8.5 million. We're doing something wrong if 8.5 million can't integrate 70K.

I don't know how old you are but I'm old enough to remember when Montreal was the financial, cultural and business capital of Canada. Ontario decided to open up its borders and within 50 years Toronto became not only Canada's heart, soul and body but one of three major cities in North America. 

Maybe the politicians should stop making excuses and start working on improving that infrastructure.

Honestly, guys, and with all due respect, there are soooo many places on the internet where you can discuss politics. I enjoy this particular forum as being not one of those places. 

If you must, does this forum have an off-topic board for those discussions? I was hoping there was new talk about one of our best CanMNT players!

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Maybe it's not the speed of immigration that needs to be addressed. Maybe it's the speed of upgrading our infrastructure. 

Here in Quebec our illustrious premier uses the infrastructure excuse as a reason to limit immigration. Anyone with half a brain knows that's not the reason. It's out and out racism. I'm not saying that's what motivated your post. Here in Quebec  we saw a tad under 70 K immigrants in 2022. The premier wants to limit it to 50K while the business community tells him we need more immigrants. The province's population is 8.5 million. We're doing something wrong if 8.5 million can't integrate 70K.

I don't know how old you are but I'm old enough to remember when Montreal was the financial, cultural and business capital of Canada. Ontario decided to open up its borders and within 50 years Toronto became not only Canada's heart, soul and body but one of three major cities in North America. 

Maybe the politicians should stop making excuses and start working on improving that infrastructure.

Not to use you as an example but this is exactly what I'm talking about...without even knowing anything about your premier except for a few things I watched on the news during Covid lockdowns, I already know I'm not going to find anything racist about this guy but the accusation just got carelessly thrown his way. There's a lot of reasons why one would want to limit immigration such as infrastructure, cultural impact, language laws, etc. without it being racist. If the immigration policy was truly grounded in racism, it wouldn't allow people of Algerian, Moroccan or Haitian backgrounds to immigrate into the province, but they do. 

The business community, chamber of commerce wants more immigration? Well of course they do, they always do, it's that constant need to drive down wages further and having more consumers.

I live in Brampton and the massive influx has literally pushed out all the highschool and domestic college kids from the labour market considering the retail/fast food jobs which have historically been occupied by them are now all being taken up by international students. The rest of the GTA is a similar story. 

Edited by Macksam

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This isn't news but at least it's more relevant to the thread title 😂.

AJ is a legend. As much as I think he can move up a level, I would be cool with him playing the rest of his career at Celtic and becoming an icon figure for the club.

Well, it’s certainly news to me that AJ is so beloved that he gets a pop star’s welcome when he comes to training!

I agree. Part of me hopes he leverages his great Copa, and maybe he looks good in UCL and gets a move like Juranovic did a few years back, but it’s clear that if he’s a Celtic lifer, he’s going to be a fan favourite for years to come. Fans are really pissed this year because they haven’t really brought in much of anything. Aside from Schmeichel who came in this summer, I’ve seen a bunch on Twitter about how Johnston is probably their most/only ambitious incoming signing over the last few years. Everyone else has come in with an eye on selling high- see: Matt O’Reilly. 

Haven’t heard a single rumour about him since coming to Celtic, so if I was going to put some money on this, I think he’s with Celtic into his 30s, maybe wraps it up with a season or two in MLS, or probably more likely, elsewhere in Scotland at this point.

At one point it was being stated that his mother is from Newtownards in Northern Ireland but according to wikipedia these days that has changed to Poleglass in West Belfast. If accurate, he's highly likely to be from a strongly Celtic supporting background despite having a spectacularly Rangers sounding name (if you are from that part of the world or west central Scotland). Where am I going with this? He may be where he really wants to be unless some really huge club like Real Madrid or Bayern Munich made an offer rather than seeing Celtic as a stepping stone to a club like Union Berlin. A bit like how Fraser Aird was when he was at Rangers in other words but actually good enough to hang around in Old Firm terms rather than winding up in CanPL.