Former CanPL Players

3 hours ago, rydermike said:

Wealdstone Football Club a semi-professional football club based in Ruislip, London Borough of Hillingdon.  They currently play in the National League, the fifth level of the English football league system.  A step down from the CanPL 

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

english d5 is definitely a higher level than cpl

Yeah, was going to say it's probably equivalent depending on the club. Definitely not a step down considering Vancouver were picking up free agents who had spent time in the seventh and eighth tiers...

and this year pepple couldnt even make the 16 player matchday squad half the time...easy to spin it how one wants with players who went there...if you actually watch you see its a couple steps higher

and when petrasso came back he got the same number of points in cpl in less minutes including a couple starts at rb...played higher up the field at barnet

58 minutes ago, Big_M said:

and this year pepple couldnt even make the 16 player matchday squad half the time...easy to spin it how one wants with players who went there...if you actually watch you see its a couple steps higher

and when petrasso came back he got the same number of points in cpl in less minutes including a couple starts at rb...played higher up the field at barnet

I wonder if that had anything to do with playing in Scotland this year

Dylon Powley was an amazing person, and his passing is a huge loss to the soccer community in Alberta. 

He was the first player I really connected with on a personal level. Not just with him but his parents who were even bigger supporters. I remember them buying us a round during the last Foothills game of 2016 and thanking us for chanting his name, and being a little surprised when I asked if he was going to try Europe after the 2017 season as there was no opportunity available for him in Canada.

I remember following every FC Gute social media I could find just to get updates on him in 2018. I think he could have worked his way up in Sweden but the chance to come home and play in Edmonton was too good to pass up.

Even when he became the enemy we still chatted. I heard stories of him showing up unannounced to River Valley Vanguard's meetup and buying a round. I remember the banter back and forth with the Foot Soldiers during the Al Classico friendly in September 2018. I remember talking to his mom in the away end when Ongaro scored Edmonton's one and only goal against Cavalry in 2019 shortly before presenting Wild Rose Cup to Ledgerwood. Even after retiring he was still there whenever Edmonton or Ottawa played Cavalry and it was great to catch up with him and banter around.

The last time I ran into Powley was on 17th Ave last summer. I was with my wife and he recognized me before I recognized him. He was with Fraser Aird and he was trying to explain to Aird the Foot Soldiers and all the work I did in getting them off the ground. I should have been talking him up and instead he was talking me up. Just the type of guy he was.

I always had to look up to see him. Guess I have to tilt my neck a little higher now. RIP Powley.

Edited by shermanator

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

10 goals in 9 games....

would love to see him, a Winnipeg native, in the Valour camp after the USL2 season even if just for a trial -- USports contract eligible, cheap contract is an option...

I'd be glad to see hin with Valour, as a local kid who should be a cheap option. If we ignore his first go-round with the team, are there any examples of players coming up from USL2 making an impact in CPL?