Luka Kulenovic

Sigma78

4 hours ago, ballerz said:

Yes, give him the minutes vs Suriname - no acclimitization necessary. What can possibly go wrong playing an in form Eredivisie striker against the Dutch's C team?

I think you’re giving Suriname far too much credit. Given our trajectory, this is not a side we should be fearing. I fully expect us to advance over two legs with a comfortable scoreline. It’s actually a perfect opportunity to bleed in new players on the edges of the roster. Competitive international minutes with the opportunity to cap-tie. Until someone has a Shaffelburg-esque moment and establishes themselves as a legitimate David/Larin deputy or alternative, we should be seeing what the player pool has to offer. 

Edited by FC_Hali

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

Considering how cold are strikers are beyond David and Larin, I think he has earned a call up.  I am a big fan of Tani but he hasn’t been scoring lately.   Nor has anyone else (maybe JRR a bit). This guy’s in form.  Give him a chance.

With all due respect I would not say Larin is on fire right now.

1 hour ago, FC_Hali said:

I think you’re giving Suriname far too much credit. Given our trajectory, this is not a side we should be fearing. I fully expect us to advance over two legs with a comfortable scoreline. It’s actually a perfect opportunity to bleed in new players on the edges of the roster. Competitive international minutes with the opportunity to cap-tie. Until someone has a Shaffelburg-esque moment and establishes themselves as a legitimate David/Larin deputy or alternative, we should be seeing what the player pool has to offer. 

Agree 100%.  Given the way we now tend to get seeded in CONCACAF competitions, there will be fewer and fewer "minnow" games  where there is a somewhat low risk opportunity to fully bring someone into the program.  And while Suriname isn't a minnow, taking someone like LK as a 3rd striker or depth attacker makes sense.  He could be given a solid look in training and some real minutes if/when the aggregate fixture is locked down.  Sub out someone like Larin when the job is done, keep him fresher to keep battling for minutes in La Liga, and on the off chance we need to spruce up the attack if Suriname manages to put things in doubt, Luka isn't some untested rookie.  He is a guy who is scoring at a very respectable level, seems more in-form than our other options, and apparently wants to sign up. 

I see no downside whatsoever.  

19 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I do not know if this is good for us or not?

Good question. It seems that if Bosnia and Canada call him up next window, he'll go with Canada. The key thing here is that we actually call him. Again, I don't want us to call Tani ahead of him right now, nor do I want to see JRR ahead of him. 

We must call this guy next window. 

2 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

I think the semifinal against Argentina as well as the Uruguay game shows we can integrate newer, less proven international players into the lineup to see what they can bring to the squad.  Coaching staff has confidence in these kids.

31 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

...and if we do not call him up?

That's what makes me nervous, but Marsch has been in contact back in summer and I don't see how they ignore his current form. Moreover, Marsch has been bringing in dual nationals lately so it's logical he'll continue that with Kulenovic. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's what makes me nervous, but Marsch has been in contact back in summer and I don't see how they ignore his current form. Moreover, Marsch has been bringing in dual nationals lately so it's logical he'll continue that with Kulenovic. 

There have been a few incidents where Marsch says "we've been in touch", then the player says they'd hadn't spoken yet. So I think the in touch business is a bit slim, maybe someone from the staff reached out, said hello. Or a text msg, who knows. 

I thought we had some Bosnian Canadians on the board who would be able to figure out where he's at.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There have been a few incidents where Marsch says "we've been in touch", then the player says they'd hadn't spoken yet. So I think the in touch business is a bit slim, maybe someone from the staff reached out, said hello. Or a text msg, who knows. 

I thought we had some Bosnian Canadians on the board who would be able to figure out where he's at.

Good point. Hopefully a more extensive contact is coming after the Ajax performance.