Luka Kulenovic

Sigma78

1 hour ago, narduch said:

He is also 25 years old. He isn't a prospect anymore. And looking at this career stats for a striker it doesn't really stand out.

So he's a bit of a late bloomer maybe. And obviously scored in the Dutch top flight shouldn't be ignored.

For what it is worth, he was the top goalscorer for Slovan Liberec in the league last season.  When he was playing in Bosnia and Herzegovina he usually played as a CF.  Obviously he didn't score too many goals.  I watched him a number of times last season with Slovan Liberec.  He was very strong in the air, and good with his feet.

The difference is, no striker other than Tani (arguably) has had a significant opportunity to stake their claim.

I understand competitive matches, but even in friendlies... Marsch hasn't rotated his strikers at all, and imo I don't think Larin will lead line in 2026, so rotation especially in friendlies is immediately required.

8 minutes ago, Buchta said:

For what it is worth, he was the top goalscorer for Slovan Liberec in the league last season.  When he was playing in Bosnia and Herzegovina he usually played as a CF.  Obviously he didn't score too many goals.  I watched him a number of times last season with Slovan Liberec.  He was very strong in the air, and good with his feet.

Yes. It earned him his move to the Dutch 1st division. 

But the CanMNT has a higher standard now than 7 goals in 29 matches in the Czech league for a striker.

40 minutes ago, Shway said:

…I don't think Larin will lead line in 2026, so rotation especially in friendlies is immediately required.

I understand why you think that but I don’t think it is anything like a done deal.  31 isn’t ancient even if it is on the high end for a striker, and Cyle is currently playing at the highest level he has ever played at (and arguably playing a smarter, more complete game).  Plus he will still have a year or two left on his contract with Mallorca at in summer 2026.  I don’t think it is implausible that he and David are still the preferred pairing.  Maybe one of the understudies will graduate to a higher level and stake a claim to displace him but it isn’t anything like a given for me.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I understand why you think that but I don’t think it is anything like a done deal.  31 isn’t ancient even if it is on the high end for a striker, and Cyle is currently playing at the highest level he has ever played at (and arguably playing a smarter, more complete game).  Plus he will still have a year or two left on his contract with Mallorca at in summer 2026.  I don’t think it is implausible that he and David are still the preferred pairing.  Maybe one of the understudies will graduate to a higher level and stake a claim to displace him but it isn’t anything like a given for me.  

It might not be a given but wouldn't it be great if one of our younger strikers get roaring hot and takes Larin's spot?😁

12 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

It might not be a given but wouldn't it be great if one of our younger strikers get roaring hot and takes Larin's spot?😁

I get it.  But it is a sign of the times where we have a striker playing consistently in one of the best leagues in the world, and we are looking for his replacement 2 years in the future.  It isn’t like he has been visibly declining or is on the downturn.   He is literally playing for the highest team he has ever played for in his career.  

2 hours ago, narduch said:

He is also 25 years old. He isn't a prospect anymore. And looking at this career stats for a striker it doesn't really stand out.

So he's a bit of a late bloomer maybe. And obviously scored in the Dutch top flight shouldn't be ignored.

image.png.421af06b961d84b398fc663717ec3d60.png

I think he's 2 goals in 4 matches with Heracles now

Reminiscent of another Canadian late bloomer striker who also played for Heracles: Rob Friend. 

Remember Tani was added to our European squad in June after a goal scoring weekend for Minnesota. Maybe the same happens here? If it doesn’t happen now then we’ll have no opportunity to call him to a friendly until at least June. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get it.  But it is a sign of the times where we have a striker playing consistently in one of the best leagues in the world, and we are looking for his replacement 2 years in the future.  It isn’t like he has been visibly declining or is on the downturn.   He is literally playing for the highest team he has ever played for in his career.  

Yes but he's not really setting the world on fire with his scoring either. Anyways I do not want to seem like I am picking on Larin only but it would go for any player anywhere that is hot will replace a non hot player. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

The difference is, no striker other than Tani (arguably) has had a significant opportunity to stake their claim.

I understand competitive matches, but even in friendlies... Marsch hasn't rotated his strikers at all, and imo I don't think Larin will lead line in 2026, so rotation especially in friendlies is immediately required.

Agree it would be beneficial to rotate but the results of the friendlies last and this window  factor into our opponent in NL QF. No top 4 team wants to meet Jamaica and unfortunately we don't have a 2nd game this window vs a lesser team that would allow more rotation. Hopefully that changes after NL.

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

All valid points and he has been playing well for Canada, but a striker leading the line has to score. Our defence is no longer our Achilles heel and probably our biggest strength now, but unfortunately goal scoring is a concern. Other than David who is playing further back, Shaff and Kone we are not getting balanced scoring.  Hopefully Larin brings his club form over the past 2 days vs Panama.

Still a small sample but scoring goals in Eredivse for a struggling club should be enough for a CanMNT camp. We need to grow our pool of players playing at good levels and this ticks that box. He also has a completely different profile than most of our other strikers. Tall and technical.

Appears like Bosnia would be our most likely competition and if he continues his form they will surely be ringing him up.

I think Larin and David is the most likely striker combo for 2026. Larin will score and the narrative will change. 

Tani has gone cold for club and probably has less goal involvements for club than Larin since Copa, and he's locked clearly 3rd in the depth chart. Where I agree with @Shway is that Marsch should rotate the strikers more, but for me he should be rotating the 3rd spot as Tani has failed to score in his 8 caps.

There seems to be an impatience or anxiety around Larin not scoring for Canada, but Tani is also not scoring. For me, both have shown well for Canada despite the goals. Anyway, I would like to see Bair get some of Tani's minutes, or possibly someone like Kulenovic. JRR even, but he's more of a David replacement, I think.