The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 hours ago, Kent said:

You are right that our main objective is top 3. But a Mexican win totally does impact us. You are going at it with a sense of inevitability that Mexico will be top 3, but we don't actually know that yet. Any one of the top 4 could finish 4th, and there is an outside chance that Costa Rica or Jamaica could finish 4th.

If Mexico win, and we lose, we are all of a sudden below them in the standings. We need fewer than 3 teams ahead of us in the standings, so personally I would be more concerned with a team passing us than with a team gaining some ground. If Jamaica wins and we lose, we are still 6 points ahead of them with 5 games remaining, including a home game against them. That is "keep your eye on them" territory, but no very threatening just yet.

We already have separation from 5th place. We need separation from someone... anyone... in 4th place. Whether that is Panama, Mexico, or USA.

That being said, it is hard though to come up with the best results for the next set of games. El Salvador to beat USA is an easy pick. I think I would go for Costa Rica over Panama and Jamaica over Mexico, but draws in any of these 3 games is also good. Of course the most important result by far is our own.

I co sign all of this

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Like all political debates on the internet, I am sure both sides of this discussion will fairly assess the other’s line of thinking and ultimately agree on a reasonable position in the middle… 

Both the NZ rugby team and their football team shall henceforth be known as the inoffensive ALL GREYS. :D

Btw, their path has just been set.

The OFC draw just took place.

---

The CAF draw will take place in January.

3 hours ago, lenny said:

There are a maximum of 72 points still available(that's without any games resulting in a draw) but it looks like your point totals add up to 84.

Each team can get a Maximum 18pts from the remaining 6 games they all have so I did a mock scenario of how I think each team will preform I double checked it, with the points each nation already has and with how I think they will do in their remaking matches the points I gave in the scenario add up I’m not sure what math you are doing? I just added the amount of points I had given out to every team and it came out to 56 not sure where you got 84 from?

42 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Both the NZ rugby team and their football team shall henceforth be known as the inoffensive ALL GREYS. :D

Btw, their path has just been set.

The OFC draw just took place.

---

The CAF draw will take place in January.

I’m disappointed to see American Samoa 🇦🇸 and Samoa 🇼🇸 pulled out. I always look forward to that derby. 

Canada so far we are 40th in the world but if we win our next friendly that they have lined up for us apparently on January 22nd against Guatemala and then we win our next 3 qualifiers, I could see our world ranking going up into the 30s. However, as things stand, if we were to qualify for Qatar at best we end up as a Pot 3 team. Being in Pot 3 almost assures that we'll end up in a Group of Death. But if not, we will end up in a favorable group along with a World Cup giant, like that is inevitable.

It really just comes down to luck of the Draw really. Canada if we qualify, can I see us getting out of our group in Qatar? It's possible but then like I said it depends on luck of the draw and even then at best if we get out of the group, we probably exit in the Round of 16.

2026 however, with us, being co hosts along with Mexico and USA, we instantly get put in Pot 1. Being a Pot 1 team especially as hosts almost guarantees us a favorable draw and in 2026 with it being a 48 team World Cup and 3 team groups, Canada's chances of getting to Round of 32 are pretty great.

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

I have lived in NA, Europe and Asia and I would argue NA is the least racist of the bunch and Asia is by far the most racist so I wouldn't agree with your assessment.  

Because North America is more racist than Europe and Asia, New Zealand can't be less racist than North America?

17 minutes ago, vancanman said:

Because North America is more racist than Europe and Asia, New Zealand can't be less racist than North America?

Of course it can be.  I have no idea how racist NZ is.  But it seems I misinterpreted the point as saying that nowhere else in the world is as racist as NA but actually was saying NZ is nowhere as racist as NA.  My bad

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

I have lived in NA, Europe and Asia and I would argue NA is the least racist of the bunch and Asia is by far the most racist so I wouldn't agree with your assessment.  

My understanding is that soccer in New Zealand has tended to be dominated historically by recent immigrants from the UK while rugby otherwise dominated in terms of popularity including with the Maori population. Anybody who automatically assumes or decides to shrilly assert that the name All Whites couldn't possibly have had a racial undertone 40 or 50 years back or whenever it was first used (1982 was mentioned in the clip I posted which would have been the Espana 82 World Cup finals) should carefully consider what things were like in soccer in the UK at that point.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

My understanding is that soccer in New Zealand has tended to be dominated historically by recent immigrants from the UK while rugby otherwise dominated in terms of popularity including with the Maori population. Anybody who automatically assumes or decides to shrilly assert that the name All Whites couldn't possibly have had a racial undertone 40 or 50 years back or whenever it was first used (1982 was mentioned in the clip I posted which would have been the Espana 82 World Cup finals) should carefully consider what things were like in soccer in the UK at that point.

It’s from 82 WCQ when the team wore all white, including shirt, shorts, socks and the commentator referred to them as all whites (as a reference to rugby’s all blacks). Not everything has to be racist. 

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you are willing to concede that a lot of people in soccer had hardcore racist attitudes in the 1980s then is it not obvious why that name should never have been touched with a bargepole?

I’m willing to concede that a lot of people in general had a racist attitude in the 1980s (and still do today, though to a lesser extent likely). My point isn’t that there aren’t racists, my point is that referring to a team wearing an all white kit as the all whites isn’t racist. It’s a country that has named its rugby team the All Blacks for over 100 years and nobody had or has an issue with it. 

There's a big difference between having a team of mostly white players called the All Blacks and a team of mostly white players being called the All Whites especially in an era when New Zealand was still playing rugby against the Springboks but most of the rest of the world was boycotting South Africa over apartheid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_South_Africa_rugby_union_tour_of_New_Zealand_and_the_United_States

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Of course it can be.  I have no idea how racist NZ is.  But it seems I misinterpreted the point as saying that nowhere else in the world is as racist as NA but actually was saying NZ is nowhere as racist as NA.  My bad

Nice one

Just a misunderstanding

Edited by vancanman

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There's a big difference between having a team of mostly white players called the All Blacks and a team of mostly white players being called the All Whites especially in an era when New Zealand was still playing rugby against the Springboks but most of the rest of the world was boycotting South Africa over apartheid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_South_Africa_rugby_union_tour_of_New_Zealand_and_the_United_States

You continue to point to potential racist attitudes of some in New Zealand, as if that means this must be race based as well. There’s no evidence that it has anything to do with race and nothing you’ve posted changes that.