The Road to Qatar.

Binky

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A close friend who did a 6-week cycling trip in New Zealand just 3 years ago, both islands, said he was shocked by the blatant racism and xenophobic attitudes they found all over the place. Towards their own, towards foreigners. 

They just assumed a couple of white Canadians would be in perfect agreement.

They couldn't have been that xenophobic if they expected two Canucks - both foreigners - to agree with them.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think people are either being naive or in some cases like the Sky News Australia talking heads in that clip deliberately disingenuous when they make the assumption that there couldn't possibly ever have been a racial undertone to the All-Whites name back when it was first introduced many decades ago back when things were much less politically correct culturally.

Was there a racial undertone to the name All-blacks as well then? 

I always just thought the names were based on their respective uniforms. 

12 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Almost in all cases a draw is ideal for us. With a win 3 points are given out. With a draw only 2.

Hoping Jamaica gets a win because for them it basically is a must win against Mexico if you think about it

USA vs El Salvador...USA wins

Costa Rica basically has to beat Panama for their hopes to still be alive

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Hoping Jamaica gets a win because for them it basically is a must win against Mexico if you think about it

We don’t want Jamaica gaining any momentum and getting in the hunt for a top 4 position.  I would much rather if they were already eliminated by the time we play them in March.  The only win I want them to get next window is against Panama.  A draw against Mexico would be good just to keep them hungry but I am not rooting for a Jamaican win.   

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We don’t want Jamaica gaining any momentum and getting in the hunt for a top 4 position.  I would much rather if they were already eliminated by the time we play them in March.  The only win I want them to get next window is against Panama.  A draw against Mexico would be good just to keep them hungry but I am not rooting for a Jamaican win.   

Why not because a Jamaica win actually helps us because Mexico would lose points

2 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Why not because a Jamaica win actually helps us because Mexico would lose points

Our main objective is top 3.  We don’t need to focus on getting first.  The most likely other 2 counties to join us are Mexico and the US.  The more countries in the mix for the top 3, the lower our chances.  

If Jamaica beat Mexico they gain 3 points.  The will likely beat ES in their final game - 3 more points.  And we want them to beat Panama, 3 more.  As unlikely as that is, it would put them at 16 points and in the hunt for a top 3 spot.   We need them to drop some points and the most likely spot is against Mexico- and a Mexican win doesn’t really impact us.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Our main objective is top 3.  We don’t need to focus on getting first.  The most likely other 2 counties to join us are Mexico and the US.  The more countries in the mix for the top 3, the lower our chances.  

If Jamaica beat Mexico they gain 3 points.  The will likely beat ES in their final game - 3 more points.  And we want them to beat Panama, 3 more.  As unlikely as that is, it would put them at 16 points and in the hunt for a top 3 spot.   We need them to drop some points and the most likely spot is against Mexico- and a Mexican win doesn’t really impact us.  

We also want Jamaica to be out of it by the time we play them in March. That will likely be a must win for us so if Jamaica has no hope by that point it would be much better for us 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

🤔 Interesting points

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

BTW, back to the intercontinental playoffs: I believe that they coincide with an international window where Nations League group play is scheduled. 

Remember the group of 4 is set to play its 6 matches in May, June and September. Denying WC qualified teams the chance to play other prep friendlies before Qatar. But better to be repeating in Central America than visiting Qatar. 

Unlike UEFA, the top division of CONCACAF Nations League is still only groups of 3 with 4 group matches.  June is a four match window and September is two matches so there would be room for two prep friendlies.  Unfortunately UEFA teams are completely unavailable due to their own Nations League with 6 group games.  Hopefully we could at least get one or two big friendlies with a South American power.  Of course, teams will often play friendlies at the end of May before the FIFA dates even start so that may be the only opportunity to face a European foe.

So with a total of 6 games left there is a possible 18 points each nation can get. With that said what do we realistically think points wise we need to clinch top 3?

Realistically what points do you think everyone will get in their remaking matches. This is my thinking of how it will go what’s your guys opinions?

Canada 16pts- Honduras(A) 1pt, USA(H) 1pt, El Salvador(A) 3pts, Costa Rica(A) 1pt, Jamaica(H) 3pts, Panama(A) 1pt
Canada total= 26 points

USA 15pts- El Salvador(H) 3pts, Canada(A) 1pt, Honduras(H) 3pts, Mexico(A) 0pts, Panama(H) 3pts, Costa Rica(A) 1pt

USA total= 26 points

Mexico 14pts- Jamaica(A) 1pt, Costa Rica(H) 3pts, Panama(H) 3pts, USA(H) 3pts, Honduras(A) 1pt, El Salvador(H) 3pts

Mexico total= 28 points

Panama 14pts- Costa Rica(A) 0pts, Jamaica (H) 1pt, Mexico(A) 0pts, Honduras(H) 3pts, USA(A) 0pts, Canada(H) 1pt

Panama total= 19 points

Costa Rica 9pts- Panama(H) 3pts, Mexico(A) 0pts, Jamaica(A) 1pt, Canada(H) 1pt, El Salvador(A) 3pts, USA(A) 1pt

Costa Rica total= 18 points

Jamaica 7pts- Mexico(H) 1pt, Panama(A) 1pt, Costa Rica(H) 1pt, El Salvador(A) 3pts, Canada(A) 0pts, Honduras(H) 3pts

Jamaica total= 16 points

El Salvador 6pts- USA(A) 0pts, Honduras(A) 1pt, Canada(H) 0pts, Jamaica(H) 0pts, Costa Rica(H) 0pts, Mexico(A) 0pts

El Salvador total= 7 points

Honduras 3pts- Canada(H) 1pt, El Salvador(H) 1pt, USA(A) 0pts, Panama(A) 0pts, Mexico(H) 0pts, Jamaica(A) 0pts 

Honduras total= 5 points

what do you guys think?

I think we have better chance at getting 3 points in Honduras, than in El Salvador. Having said that, I think a lot of people think we’re going to get 7 points from this window.

Of course we’re capable of doing it, but I still think people don’t understand how rare an away win is in Concacaf. I think someone here posted it that only 5 games out of 32 have been won by the away side. 

I think we win 1, maybe 2 of our remaining 4 away games. 

36 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

So with a total of 6 games left there is a possible 18 points each nation can get. With that said what do we realistically think points wise we need to clinch top 3?

Realistically what points do you think everyone will get in their remaking matches. This is my thinking of how it will go what’s your guys opinions?

Canada 16pts- Honduras(A) 1pt, USA(H) 1pt, El Salvador(A) 3pts, Costa Rica(A) 1pt, Jamaica(H) 3pts, Panama(A) 1pt
Canada total= 26 points

USA 15pts- El Salvador(H) 3pts, Canada(A) 1pt, Honduras(H) 3pts, Mexico(A) 0pts, Panama(H) 3pts, Costa Rica(A) 1pt

USA total= 26 points

Mexico 14pts- Jamaica(A) 1pt, Costa Rica(H) 3pts, Panama(H) 3pts, USA(H) 3pts, Honduras(A) 1pt, El Salvador(H) 3pts

Mexico total= 28 points

Panama 14pts- Costa Rica(A) 0pts, Jamaica (H) 1pt, Mexico(A) 0pts, Honduras(H) 3pts, USA(A) 0pts, Canada(H) 1pt

Panama total= 19 points

Costa Rica 9pts- Panama(H) 3pts, Mexico(A) 0pts, Jamaica(A) 1pt, Canada(H) 1pt, El Salvador(A) 3pts, USA(A) 1pt

Jamaica 7pts- Mexico(H) 1pt, Panama(A) 1pt, Costa Rica(H) 1pt, El Salvador(A) 3pts, Canada(A) 0pts, Honduras(H) 3pts

Jamaica total= 16 points

El Salvador 6pts- USA(A) 0pts, Honduras(A) 1pt, Canada(H) 0pts, Jamaica(H) 0pts, Costa Rica(H) 0pts, Mexico(A) 0pts

Honduras 3pts- Canada(H) 1pt, El Salvador(H) 1pt, USA(A) 0pts, Panama(A) 0pts, Mexico(H) 0pts, Jamaica(A) 0pts 

Honduras total= 5 points

what do you guys think?

If this is it...Canada we would finish 3rd which I wouldn't mind because we would still qualify directly 

5 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

I think we have better chance at getting 3 points in Honduras, than in El Salvador. Having said that, I think a lot of people think we’re going to get 7 points from this window.

Of course we’re capable of doing it, but I still think people don’t understand how rare an away win is in Concacaf. I think someone here posted it that only 5 games out of 32 have been won by the away side. 

I think we win 1, maybe 2 of our remaining 4 away games. 

I think you may be right that 5 of the 32 matches have been won away, but all 5 of those have come against our remaining away opponents (in 17 matches). 

4 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Unlike UEFA, the top division of CONCACAF Nations League is still only groups of 3 with 4 group matches.  June is a four match window and September is two matches so there would be room for two prep friendlies.  Unfortunately UEFA teams are completely unavailable due to their own Nations League with 6 group games.  Hopefully we could at least get one or two big friendlies with a South American power.  Of course, teams will often play friendlies at the end of May before the FIFA dates even start so that may be the only opportunity to face a European foe.

Gracias, I somehow assumed they were groups of four. 

I still don't quite get how they schedule this, and don't quite see how we play four games in two international breaks without playing twice in each. 

In any case, our ranking may put us as top seed in a group, and we'll get to do friendlies vs inferior opponents, at least one we have already seen. Tedious.

If we qualify our best strategy would be as you say, play two friendlies away in South America, then do the same in Europe, measure our worth where it counts. But it looks like it won't be possible.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

Canada total= 26 points

USA total= 26 points

Mexico total= 28 points

Panama total= 19 points

Jamaica total= 16 points

Honduras total= 5 points

what do you guys think?

One win and one draw in both of the remaining windows will get us to Qatar. Doesn't matter who the wins and draws come against. Alternatively, doing no worse than accruing one less point than Panama will also get us there, regardless of results.

15 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Years ago when I was a kid in the 70s, I read something about the NZ All-blacks side touring somewhere.  I knew nothing about rugby at the time.  I naively thought it was an actual all black side as they were on tour playing "friendlies".  I also had no understanding of those words either as hockey teams never went on tour and played friendlies so I thought it was some sort of an exhibition with everyone being black which I remembered at the time thinking was a cool thing to do (I was a kid so wasn't aware of any of the wider significance).

Mark.

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think you may be right that 5 of the 32 matches have been won away, but all 5 of those have come against our remaining away opponents (in 17 matches). 

What I’m curious to see is how we perform in the El Salvador game, seeing as how it will be the 3rd game in the window.  In the first and second windows, we blew El Salvador and Panama out.  Our depth and speed by the the third game was too much to handle for teams like Panama and El Salvador because they play with smaller benches, playing a lot of the same guys every window.  Granted we just have better players, but those games were at home.  Will be interesting to see how we line up for this 3rd game on the road after everything I mentioned above 

Edited by EJsens1

6 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

What I’m curious to see is how we perform in the El Salvador game, seeing as how it will be the 3rd game in the window.  In the first and second windows, we blew El Salvador and Panama out.  Our depth and speed by the the third game was too much to handle for teams like Panama and El Salvador because they play with smaller benches, playing a lot of the same guys every window.  Granted we just have better players, but those games were at home.  Will be interesting to see how we line up for this 3rd game on the road after everything I mentioned above 

If we somehow beat Honduras and USA going into the El Salvador game, we will be guaranteed a place in Qatar with 3 games to spare practically

On 11/28/2021 at 5:24 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

That's correct, it was about the kit colours which I why I described it as, "unfortunate" in 2021. It doesn't matter why the name exists it simply sounds wrong when said out loud in today's political climate. 

14 minutes ago, ted said:

That's correct, it was about the kit colours which I why I described it as, "unfortunate" in 2021. It doesn't matter why the name exists it simply sounds wrong when said out loud in today's political climate. 

Maybe to the mentally deranged. Same as "White Christmas" or "Black Friday". 

If you view these things as "sounding wrong" that is an issue to be referred to a professional. The true issue with today's political climate is catering to such extremist views. 

Should we also stop calling Canada the "reds"? 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:37 AM, dyslexic nam said:

You are right that our main objective is top 3. But a Mexican win totally does impact us. You are going at it with a sense of inevitability that Mexico will be top 3, but we don't actually know that yet. Any one of the top 4 could finish 4th, and there is an outside chance that Costa Rica or Jamaica could finish 4th.

If Mexico win, and we lose, we are all of a sudden below them in the standings. We need fewer than 3 teams ahead of us in the standings, so personally I would be more concerned with a team passing us than with a team gaining some ground. If Jamaica wins and we lose, we are still 6 points ahead of them with 5 games remaining, including a home game against them. That is "keep your eye on them" territory, but no very threatening just yet.

We already have separation from 5th place. We need separation from someone... anyone... in 4th place. Whether that is Panama, Mexico, or USA.

That being said, it is hard though to come up with the best results for the next set of games. El Salvador to beat USA is an easy pick. I think I would go for Costa Rica over Panama and Jamaica over Mexico, but draws in any of these 3 games is also good. Of course the most important result by far is our own.

21 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

Canada total= 26 points

USA total= 26 points

Mexico total= 28 points

Panama total= 19 points

Jamaica total= 16 points

Honduras total= 5 points

what do you guys think?

There are a maximum of 72 points still available(that's without any games resulting in a draw) but it looks like your point totals add up to 84.

53 minutes ago, ted said:

Wow Ted, most bizarre thing I have ever heard.

There is  a lot of comments from people who have no clue on the culture of NZ.  If you lived there you would soon see how much they embrace the native Maori culture it is woven into the fabric of the country. Also you would understand that NZ common thinking (Don't read "Stuff" ) does not align itself to that of North American politics and media hype and agenda pushing of racist divide. 

Does racism exists? sure like every other country in the world, but nowhere close to what we have in NA.

All Blacks, Tall Blacks, All Whites, Black Caps ...It's just a name

As far the All whites go, they are not great but when they need to they will play with everything thing they have and ask the most of any team...it's woven into the fabric of the country.

1 hour ago, ted said:

That's correct, it was about the kit colours which I why I described it as, "unfortunate" in 2021. It doesn't matter why the name exists it simply sounds wrong when said out loud in today's extreme left political climate. 

FYP.

Changing names to appease political ideologs is extreme, regardless of what side of the political spectrum is being appeased. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Maybe to the mentally deranged. Same as "White Christmas" or "Black Friday". 

That's ridiculous. If you cannot hear a difference between "White Christmas" and "All Whites" there is probably no point discussing this. It's not right and identity politics have gone insane, but pointing out that in North America the phrase "All Whites" has a resonance with "All Live Matter" etc, is not "deranged".