The Road to Qatar.

Binky

8 minutes ago, theaub said:

In a neutral site one-off I'd take them over El Salvador/Honduras.

Sure, but they won't be playing El Salvador or Honduras, who are basically done. Panama, Costa Rica and maybe Jamaica are the realistic candidates, along with any of the current top 3 if they slip.

I don't give much them much of a chance against Canada or the USA, who have superstars who can create something from nothing, while Mexico is just better top-to-bottom, so they wouldn't stand much chance against them either. 

With the way Panama are playing, I would say they'd be slight favorites, but for all we know that changes and they limp over the line to finish 4th. If Panama goes into that match lacking confidence I probably give NZ a slight advantage. Wood and Singh are two players you can't take lightly, and like others mentioned, they'd be more acclimatized, which even the odds.

That said, they'll be less battle hardened than Panama (or any CONCACAF team), so I really don't know....I think it depends on how Panama qualifies for 4th. 

Edited by Obinna

Canada we're half way there but if we can beat Honduras, USA and El Salvador all in the January to February window and get 3 points out of those 3 games winning all 3 then we are pretty much guaranteed to be in Qatar because after those games we would only have like 3 games left since in the Octagonal it is 14 games you have to play 

And so far we've played 8 games

Safe to say if we win all 3 of our next games hell if we win 2 out of those 3 and draw 1 of them we are pretty much set for Qatar either way you slice it

The acclimatization will be good for NZ but they haven’t played any competitive matches together for how long? The CONCACAF team will be coming off 14 (or more) matches against top opposition. They will be like a well oiled machine heading into that game. NZ will have played Fiji, Solomon Islands, and a few friendlies. I think that’s tough...

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sure, but they won't be playing El Salvador or Honduras, who are basically done. Panama, Costa Rica and maybe Jamaica are the realistic candidates, along with any of the current top 3 if they slip.

I don't give much them much of a chance against Canada or the USA, who have superstars who can create something from nothing, while Mexico is just better top-to-bottom, so they wouldn't stand much chance against them either. 

With the way Panama are playing, I would say they'd be slight favorites, but for all we know that changes and they limp over the line to finish 4th. If Panama goes into that match lacking confidence I probably give NZ a slight advantage. Wood and Singh are two players you can't take lightly, and like others mentioned, they'd be more acclimatized, which even the odds.

That said, they'll be less battle hardened than Panama (or any CONCACAF team), so I really don't know....I think it depends on how Panama qualifies for 4th. 

The question was if they could beat anyone in the Octagon 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

In ES I take El Salvador. In Qatar I take NZ

Agreed. The CA teams are weaker from home. That said, I probably still give it to Honduras over NZ in Qatar, even though they are having difficulties right now. Elis and Quioto would give them fits. 

All hypothetical though, of course. Honduras aren't getting to the play-off barring a miracle. 

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm pretty confident it will end up being Jamaica. I'll take Jamaica over New Zealand in Qatar 

Yeah I think it will be Panama especially if Canada we keep up our form and finish top 3 and then you have USA and Mexico right along with us in the top 3

Then that leaves Panama, Jamaica, Costa Rica and Honduras fighting it out for 4th

25 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

We're all talking about NZ as if they're a given to win, but let's not rule out 2012 OFC champ Tahiti or the team NZ needed pens to beat in the 2016 OFC finals Papua New Guinea.

We're in deep shit if we lose to any of these teams 😂

There is a risk actually.   we are not accustomed to being a favoured.  Hence how do we handle a sitaution where a team parks the bus against us and tries to play for 0-0  game and go to penalties?

Every team we faced in the octo has played us like they believe they can beat us and are better than us.   Have we ever faced this kind of situation where we face a team that plays like Cincinnatti did in the MLS Bubble.  ten men behind the ball,   two lines of 4 and 5 moving in synchronicity?   

And if it goes to penalties,  its anybody's game.  This is the only risk that i see about playing Oceania

Edited by Free kick

There is something almost surreal about this qualifying campaign and the way it has unfolded.  We have absolutely played well but the good fortune we have had along the way has also been helpful.  This draw is just one more in a string of things that are working together to get us to Qatar.   

And I can still barely believe but it really, seriously, almost unbelievably, looks like we will be at the next world cup.  Crazy.  

Wow, CONCACAF vs. OFC. What a fantastic draw.

When it came down to the final 2 balls, I was fully expecting OFC to be paired with AFC. I still can't believe the best case scenario has actually happened.

I think we will earn one of the 3 automatic qualification spots, but if we finish 4th in the Octagonal, it's such a relief to know there is still a very achievable pathway to Qatar.

3 minutes ago, ted said:

Do the All Whites* do the haka?

*  What an unfortunate nickname in 2021. 

Think they are talking about changing it. Watched a clip of some right wing crank on Sky Australia complaining about it as PC gone mad recently:

Made me happy about getting my choice of country to emigrate to so I could escape from Maggie Thatcher right by opting for Canada.

Yea you guys are greatly underestimating New Zealand, remember this isn't a Home/Away. I'm taking New Zealand as clear favourites against El Salvador, and favourites against Honduras.

Also Panama are by far the favourites for that 4th spot, it's a low chance Jamaica get it. Jamaica would have to double their points just to match Panama's right now.

Vs. New Zealand I would give Panama the edge to due having more experience together before hand + probably better coached, on paper New Zealand is better tho. 

Edited by Xavier.

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think they are talking about changing it. Watched a clip of some right wing crank on Sky Australia complaining about it as PC gone mad recently:

Made me happy about getting my choice of country to emigrate to so I could escape from Maggie Thatcher right by opting for Canada.

It is PC gone mad- it's non-sense.