The Road to Qatar.

Binky

On 12/17/2021 at 7:40 PM, Kent said:

From what I can find on Wikipedia, it looks like games were held in Tegucigalpa in Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino for many, many years (it opened in 1948), until Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano was completed/opened in 1997. So it looks like at that time the shiny new stadium got to host most games. It also has a slightly larger capacity (38k to 35k).

I think it also had something to do with the airport in Tegucigalpa. It seems many international airlines won't land there due to the mountainous approach and short runway. Anyway, looks like a brand new airport was opened just this past Friday.

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Great - so Panama get to play in Azteca with no fans.  

We're almost to the point that Panama taking points off of Mexico isn't such a bad thing. Would a draw in that match be the worst outcome for Canada?

(also, I don't think anyone will be playing in front of fans in January, so does it really matter?)

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

We're almost to the point that Panama taking points off of Mexico isn't such a bad thing. Would a draw in that match be the worst outcome for Canada?

(also, I don't think anyone will be playing in front of fans in January, so does it really matter?)

I don’t really agree that Panama getting a point off Mexico is a good thing.  I think in order of preference, for me it would be Mexico win, draw, Panama win.   I still think Panama is the top 4 team most likely to drop points so the sooner that happens the better.  Mexico will finish top 3 and I don’t care about our ranking as long as we do the same.  If Mexico win outright for the rest of the schedule, it would just mean that the other contenders are losing points.  

To put it another way, if Panama come through this window with a win against Mexico, a 7 point window would be very much in play for them (they would need a home win against Jamaica and and away win against CR - both doable results).  A 7 point window by them would be brutal for us.  I would far rather they lose to Mexico and draw Jamaica.   

On 12/20/2021 at 8:29 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t really agree that Panama getting a point off Mexico is a good thing.  I think in order of preference, for me it would be Mexico win, draw, Panama win.   I still think Panama is the top 4 team most likely to drop points so the sooner that happens the better.  Mexico will finish top 3 and I don’t care about our ranking as long as we do the same.  If Mexico win outright for the rest of the schedule, it would just mean that the other contenders are losing points.  

To put it another way, if Panama come through this window with a win against Mexico, a 7 point window would be very much in play for them (they would need a home win against Jamaica and and away win against CR - both doable results).  A 7 point window by them would be brutal for us.  I would far rather they lose to Mexico and draw Jamaica.   

Panama and Mexico are tied right now, through 8 games. That's not an insignificant number of games. The preferred result might change based on the first 2 games of the window. If Mexico draws home to Costa Rica, and away to Jamaica (neither of which are crazy to contemplate) then a loss to Panama wouldn't be terrible. It would leave Mexico with 16 points at the end of the window, while we are on 16 points going into the window. Just as one example.

Panama are most likely of the top 4 teams to finish 4th, but that doesn't mean they WILL finish 4th. As long as we finish ahead of 1 of those teams, we are happy. We can't assume USA and Mexico are virtually guaranteed a top 3 finish, because they haven't both finished top 3 the last 2 cycles. So it's not crazy to think one of USA or Mexico end up 4th or lower.

Edited by Kent
"like" corrected to "likely". Emphasis put on "WILL".

19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

100% agree.

We want to get to the last match 4 pts or 3 with clear goal average ahead of Panama. Or the same with any other rival, but you explain it right. Let Mexico beat everyone else from here on in. Including the US. 

I'm embarrassed a bit posting like this because it shows I still don't trust us getting results when we need them. 

17 hours ago, David Pinto said:

Panamas next window is difficult:

Away to CR, home to Jamacia (no fans) and finish away to Mexico. They could realistically end that window with 1 or 0 points. 

I kind of hope Canada is prioritizing the road games in this next window (as the players are probably over-hyped about the US fixture).  I know it’s tough to play in Central America, but the current Honduras and El Salvador squads lack the quality of previous cycles and Canada is in another league themselves.  6 points will surely print our ticket to Qatar.

Simply put. It’s a culmination of the culture that we as Canadians can’t relate with. 

It’s happened all over the world, where football is intertwined with politics, belief and where you’re from. The clubs sometimes represent that.

Celtic/ Rangers 
Paris/Marseille 
Persepolis/Esteghal 
Boca/Riverplate 
Galatasaray/Fenerbache 

It’s a sad reality. 

….p.s. I don’t know how anyone would think about going to Honduras in current situations absent this. 

3 hours ago, Shway said:

….Except for MTL fans 🤭😁

In Canada it would be a picture of 3 sets of Voyageurs arguing over which MLS team hates canada, and who is the worst at developing players for the national team.  Instead of pistols they would be waving spread sheets and pie charts.  "well yeah technically you did play more CDN but we played more u-21 home growns"

29 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

In Canada it would be a picture of 3 sets of Voyageurs arguing over which MLS team hates canada, and who is the worst at developing players for the national team.  Instead of pistols they would be waving spread sheets and pie charts.  "well yeah technically you did play more CDN but we played more u-21 home growns"

Or snarky never-ending Twitter wars between semi-delusional Canada fans and ultra-defensive American fans. 

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

And someone arguing about how many people were actually there arguing

On 12/25/2021 at 5:49 AM, Shway said:

Simply put. It’s a culmination of the culture that we as Canadians can’t relate with...

...unless the Canucks lose the Stanley Cup finals of course but hockey fans seem to forget about that sort of thing when they start going on and on about soccer hooligans. Also remember walking from downtown TO through what felt like close to a war zone at some points for a TFC match during the 2010 G20 riots. Being in TFC gear definitely seemed to help in not being mistaken for one of the rioting imbeciles as a couple of police officers warned me what streets to avoid and joked about how seriously I took my soccer if a full scale riot didn't put me off.