The Road to Qatar.

Binky

18 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

And I'm saying that playing in places other than Toronto doesn't change our ability to treat them as must wins.

Maybe this is ass backwards thinking, but it would be pretty insulting to the fan base not to have it in Toronto.  It’s our home stadium. It’s on grass.  We play well there.  I understand other cities want to see them in person too, but 1) not having another good grass stadium like that and; 2) our country being so big, doesn’t allow for it with what is on the line. I thought it should have been in Vancouver too over Hamilton, but in retrospect I was wrong.  Keeping the trips short is the right approach.

They really should add seating to the game at BMO when it is announced.  They’ll make a fortune and allow so many more the opportunity to engage with this team in qualifying.

Edited by EJsens1

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Maybe this is ass backwards thinking, but it would be pretty insulting to the fan base not to have it in Toronto.  It’s our home stadium. It’s on grass.  We play well there.  I understand other cities want to see them in person too, but 1) not having another good grass stadium like that and; 2) our country being so big, doesn’t allow for it with what is on the line. I thought it should have been in Vancouver too over Hamilton, but in retrospect I was wrong.  Keeping the trips short is the right approach.

They really should add seating to the game at BMO when it is announced.  They’ll make a fortune and allow so many more the opportunity to engage with this team in qualifying.

Insulting not to play in Toronto? For fuck sake. We've had some fuckwits on this board over the years, but you just might be the biggest. You might want to consider taking this down so as not to advertise that fact to the masses.

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I highly doubt they suddenly host the game someplace odd just because we can.  Doesn’t really seem likely - and I say that as an East Coaster who would love to see a game in Halifax sometime.  

As good as the atmosphere is at the Wanderers Grounds I think we’re in a bad spot from a capacity perspective now.  I’d guess they might be able to reconfigure a bit to push to near 10k.  Given the explosion in popularity that’s going to happen over this decade I don’t think that’ll cut it.

Perhaps between now and 2030 we establish a permanent location in the HRM.

(Aside: I don’t where you put the permanent field, maybe we can piss off the entire city and put a 20k stadium in the Public Gardens!)

Edited by Lurker

Just now, SthMelbRed said:

Insulting not to play in Toronto? For fuck sake. We've had some fuckwits on this board over the years, but you just might be the biggest. You might want to consider taking this down so as not to advertise that fact to the masses.

I don’t even live in Toronto.  It’s the city where this journey started. It’s where it should end. Agree to disagree, but if you wanna call me out for disagreeing on my opinion, fine, that’s why we’re all here, to talk about the team we love, but spare me the personal rhetoric.  I’ll stand by my posts as being fair in assessment.  Your answer was complete trash.  Do better 

11 minutes ago, Canadamnt said:

Has there been any discussion on the ticket distribution for the qualifying match against Jamaica? It might be a good time to implement an indivdual code for each buyer to make it more fair then ever.

For Voyageurs members, we are starting to discuss options but will flush things out over the next few weeks.  Will also need to chat to Canada Soccer about this.

20 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I don’t even live in Toronto.  It’s the city where this journey started. It’s where it should end. Agree to disagree, but if you wanna call me out for disagreeing on my opinion, fine, that’s why we’re all here, to talk about the team we love, but spare me the personal rhetoric.  I’ll stand by my posts as being fair in assessment.  Your answer was complete trash.  Do better 

This journey started in Orlando. ;)

25 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

You've suggested that it's insulting to fans in Toronto for a Canadian national team to consider playing anywhere else in the country that they represent. I'm more than happy to stand right behind my last post. I don't need you to urge me to be better. I'm happy with what I am, just fine.

14 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

You've suggested that it's insulting to fans in Toronto for a Canadian national team to consider playing anywhere else in the country that they represent. I'm more than happy to stand right behind my last post. I don't need you to urge me to be better. I'm happy with what I am, just fine.

Wrong. I was referring to the fans of the national team. I never said the fans in Toronto.  You’re taking this context too seriously.  Have a good night

8 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Wrong. I was referring to the fans of the national team. I never said the fans in Toronto.  You’re taking this context too seriously.  Have a good night

If your suggestion is that it's insulting to fans in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Moncton, St Johns, etc to play anywhere other than Toronto, than your original comment is much, much worse than I thought. 🙄

2 hours ago, pod818 said:

what are the logistics of getting grass in?

Probably would make more sense to put some good new turf in there so CF Montreal can use the stadium  after for whenever they need to use the stadium for games. 

Edited by SoccMan

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

And I'm saying that playing in places other than Toronto doesn't change our ability to treat them as must wins.

Yes but Toronto makes the most sense. The grass pitch, the easy travel, 40k + being undefeated there. Like Herdman said we'll tour the country once we're qualified. Don't think Herdman will do anything that isn't in the absolute best interest of the players until we are fully over the line. Him plugging his ears when someone asks him about Qatar being in the bag.

3 minutes ago, anderi01 said:

Yes but Toronto makes the most sense. The grass pitch, the easy travel, 40k + being undefeated there. Like Herdman said we'll tour the country once we're qualified. Don't think Herdman will do anything that isn't in the absolute best interest of the players until we are fully over the line. Him plugging his ears when someone asks him about Qatar being in the bag.

We've got a better record in home games outside of BMO in this qualifying cycle, for the record.

It is important that Canada keeps pushing it, doing there best, enough to make Pot 3. That could make such a big difference. For the 2018 World Cup, the highest ranked team in Pot 4 was Serbia (38th). The lowest ranked team in Pot 3 was Iran (34th). Looks like Canada will be on the bubble here, it would be wise to keep playing our best 11 even if we clinch qualification. If we are in pot 3, we get a pot 4 opponent like Australia or Saudi Arabia instead of pot 3 team like Denmark or Sweden. Sure the last couple wins will give them a boost when the next rankings come out. 

Well with things reopening and things being at least 50 percent capacity, I think for our home game against Jamaica it ends up being 50 percent capacity again. Which means half of Canadian fans in the stadium and whatever amount of Jamaican fans in the stadium too.

But for the Canada vs Jamaica home game, I have a feeling in March, it will be at BMO Field 

We are through 10 games of the Oct, which is the number of games that get played in the Hex. So here are some details about how well Canada has done!

Canada is the highest scoring team so far in 2022 with 17 goals. We have more goals scored than the leaders the last 2 cycles, but are well back of the most all time in the hex which is Mexico with 23.

Canada has 22 points through 10 games, which is tied for 2nd best when compared with the all time Hex results. Costa Rica leads the way with 23 points in 2002 qualifying. USA and Mexico both had 22 points in 2006 and USA did it again in 2014.

Canada has only given up 5 goals through 10 games, which is fewer goals against than any Hex team ever! The best Hex team in terms of goals against was Mexico and Costa Rica 2 times each gave up only 7 goals. Remember when defense was our big weakness?!

Undefeated teams. Canada through 10 games in 2022, and Mexico in 1998. That is all.

I didn't research this last part but have heard it claimed that Canada is the only team to go undefeated in their 4 games against Mexico and USA. Or the only team to get 8 points against them. I can't remember exactly.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

We are through 10 games of the Oct, which is the number of games that get played in the Hex. So here are some details about how well Canada has done!

Canada is the highest scoring team so far in 2022 with 17 goals. We have more goals scored than the leaders the last 2 cycles, but are well back of the most all time in the hex which is Mexico with 23.

Canada has 22 points through 10 games, which is tied for 2nd best when compared with the all time Hex results. Costa Rica leads the way with 23 points in 2002 qualifying. USA and Mexico both had 22 points in 2006 and USA did it again in 2014.

Canada has only given up 5 goals through 10 games, which is fewer goals against than any Hex team ever! The best Hex team in terms of goals against was Mexico and Costa Rica 2 times each gave up only 7 goals. Remember when defense was our big weakness?!

Undefeated teams. Canada through 10 games in 2022, and Mexico in 1998. That is all.

I didn't research this last part but have heard it claimed that Canada is the only team to go undefeated in their 4 games against Mexico and USA. Or the only team to get 8 points against them. I can't remember exactly.

We were the only team to ever get away results against the US and Mexico in the same cycle, so it would make sense that we're the only team to get 8 points against them and the only team to go undefeated against them. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Australia (currently drawing Oman 1-1) is not currently in an automatic qualifying position out of Asia. I don't pay much attention to that confederation, but is this surprising? If they don't get into the top 3 in their group they have to play a single match qualifier before the inter inter-confed playoff vs a CONMEBOL side.