Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

27 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

...the worst dp in history...

Think that still has to be Mista in quality of performance for TFC terms. Insigne still looks like a quality player and does some eye-catching stuff but why blow $15 million per season on a diminutive left winger rather than on somebody that can bolster the spine of the team?

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think most of us posting in JMR thread are TFC fans.  And in the long run if TFC doesnt get returns on its academy it might just say screw it.  They have put the money in, I would like them to see tangible gains in either players for the first team or players they can sell/trade and help the club that way.  

Fair, and no disagreement. Though I once pointed out that people gleefully celebrating players departing the Whitecaps academy could mean the club would look to close it (for the same reasons you've listed) and that was scoffed at.

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I agree with your comments about Saliba and JMR. With Clark, I'll reserve judgment. Never seen him play. As for Duke, if we send him with a couple of empty beer bottles to another team we may get 20 cents in return. I'm not a fan.

I remember one game Clarke played against TFC, I believe it was, for the NYRB and everything he touched turned to gold. It felt like a one-man show that beat Toronto on that day. It was weird though, because he wasn't dominant like Davies at Vancouver, it was almost flukey how everything was working out for him, not just against Toronto but all season long.

There was no way he could continue this, I thought at the time, but then he transfered to RB Leipzig and I thought hmmm....maybe I am just biased or there's something about him I am not appreciating...

Well unsurprisingly he couldn't make the grade in Europe, then went back home to Minnesota where they apprently used him as a wingback, which was kind of weird.

Clarke is a good player, but never should have gone straight to Leipzig. Like Rutty his development has been bumpy, but for different reasons. And maybe Rutty's path would have been similar had he gone to Europe, who knows?

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

With the deals montreal has made, they are the team that looks like they are serious about making a move and doing something in the playoffs.  For all the "we need a winner" attitude from TFC, their moves dont seem great even if they spend their flim flam dollars on a player.  

Yup, this move hurts TFC in the short term. I guess long term it depends on what they do with the Grown Ass Man money 

Edited by Gian-Luca

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I remember one game Clarke played against TFC, I believe it was, for the NYRB and everything he touched turned to gold. It felt like a one-man show that beat Toronto on that day. It was weird though, because he wasn't dominant like Davies at Vancouver, it was almost flukey how everything was working out for him, not just against Toronto but all season long.

There was no way he could continue this, I thought at the time, but then he transfered to RB Leipzig and I thought hmmm....maybe I am just biased or there's something about him I am not appreciating...

Well unsurprisingly he couldn't make the grade in Europe, then went back home to Minnesota where they apprently used him as a wingback, which was kind of weird.

Clarke is a good player, but never should have gone straight to Leipzig. Like Rutty his development has been bumpy, but for different reasons. And maybe Rutty's path would have been similar had he gone to Europe, who knows?

Clark played RWB for minutes.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

How did it work for Jonathan David?

It doesn’t work for everyone, I’m sure you can agree on that . How many players have left Canada early some in their early teens to play for a top European club’s academy and then released come back home and quit the game all together . I can name a few , moreover, we have some  that stayed here in Canada went the NCAA route and are now playing in Europe . Nothing unfortunately is a sure thing or better yet no route be it going to Europe early or staying here and going later is a sure thing .

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I agree with your comments about Saliba and JMR. With Clark, I'll reserve judgment. Never seen him play. As for Duke, if we send him with a couple of empty beer bottles to another team we may get 20 cents in return. I'm not a fan.

I was being a bit hyperbolic- I think Saliba is probably the first to go, followed by JMR. I don’t think Clark had a fair chance with Leipzig- he’s more than young enough to get another chance somewhere, I think more likely than not he’s back in Europe within two years. He looked awesome with NYRB, I think there’s still something there.

As for Duke, yes, he’s disappointing, since Miami sent him to us so we could flip him to Europe, but he’s got flashes. The team clearly believes in him for whatever reason. Just realized he’s in his *6th* MLS season and third club. Doubt he gets to Europe this winter, so unless he flies out of the gates next spring and moves in summer ‘25, he’s probably an MLS lifer. Should probably offload him next year regardless of where though. 

6 hours ago, narduch said:

This is funny because one of the excuses the TFC apologists were using is that his contract is almost up.

But his contract is almost up, he probably told them he was not going to sign with them once it was up, so then you have to try and get something for him or else you get nothing once his contract is up, unless I’m missing something. However, one can also say that TFC were not willing to pay him the money he was going to want so they let him go , therefore, I can see the argument that TFC basically gave up on him too.

Just now, SoccMan said:

But his contract is almost up, he probably told them he was not going to sign with them once it was up, so then you have to try and get something for him or else you get nothing once his contract is up, unless I’m missing something. However, one can also say that TFC were not willing to pay him the money he was going to want so they let him go , therefore, I can see the argument that TFC basically gave up on him too.

He had a 2025 option though. It wasn't up in 6 months

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I completely forgot about Clarke after he moved on from New York Red Bulls, and like you, I remember him absolutely tearing it up when he first came onto the scene. It's disappointing to hear he's had a rough go of it since going to Europe but he should be able to get back on the right path. Wow, I'm excited for CF Montreal now, they could have the foundation for a great, exciting young team with all these additions. 

''After nine incredible years, the time has come for me to say goodbye to Toronto FC. From my humble beginnings as a kid in Brampton dreaming on the sidelines to stepping onto the field with the first team, this journey has been nothing short of a blessing. Toronto FC has been more than just a club to me; it’s been a home, a family, and a crucible where I’ve grown both as a player and as a person.

To everyone within the club- coaches, teammates, president, front office, kitchen staff, Sue, media, kit men and many more you’ve been my family on and off the field. Every practice, every game, and every shared challenge has been a lesson and a memory I will cherish. Your support, friendship, and hard work have pushed me to grow and strive for excellence. I’m proud of what we’ve achieved together and grateful for the bonds we’ve formed. these memories will forever be remembered in my heart. You’ve been my mentors, my challengers, and my friends.

To the fans, your unwavering support has made every match, every challenge, and every triumph incredibly meaningful. Your passion and dedication have turned this journey into something extraordinary. You’ve been with me through the highs and lows, and for that, I am profoundly grateful.

As I step into a new chapter, know that Toronto FC will always hold a special place in my heart. The experiences, the memories, and the love for the game we shared will remain with me always. Thank you for making these years so unforgettable. ALL FOR ONE ❤️''