Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

I love this move from JMR’s perspective.   I have cheered for TFC, but mostly as a byproduct of them being first in MLS.   I have liked CFM’s commitment to playing 🇨🇦 and hope that this move is a platform for JMR.  He has shown what he is capable of but hasn’t been consistently high level - yet.    

I don’t pretend to understand the MLS Monopoly money transfer rules so hopefully this benefits them as well - but this move reinforces the trend of diminishing my interest in them. 

Just now, TOcanadafan said:

Good point with Tabla… but TFC have botched the development of every player coming through the academy since Osorio… their track record is embarrassing.

Think it would be more accurate to say they have sometimes botched the process of introducing certain players that were genuinely going to be good enough into their first team. Shaffelburg and Russell-Rowe both made it to the Copa America roster, for example, after being with TFC Academy in relatively recent times. Going to one of the lower budget MLS teams that is more comfortable using young players from North America regularly rather than bringing in players like Flores, Longstaff, Long and Flores for the perceived quick instant fix from overseas might work out OK for JMR as well.

11 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

This move is being blasted on socials by TFC fans, they hate it. 

He starting to come into his own and wasn’t handled properly, he could be one and done in MTL, I do believe he will end up reaching his potential.

Montreal looking scary young and talented though.

Absolutely unanimous under both the IG and Twitter posts.

good move for all three sides

courtois said they needed cover for ruan at rwb

toronto already had too many wing backs even before wingo and gets a large amount of gam so they can look for a forward immediately

rutty signs an extension with montreal until 2027 with an option for 2028 so likely a bigger yearly salary also and a bigger chance at playing time

I wish all the best to JMR.  Not as quickly as we all would have liked, but he's improved every year and is still only 20.

He had to move on though.  Wouldn't get consistent playing time with all the studs at TFC being played ahead of him like Longstaff, Flores, Ettienne, Owusu, Petretta (and his million dollar salary), then injured stars like Servania, Coello and Spicer back soon.  Not to mention the broken down Italian stars.

What a fucking joke. 

Can Canadian MLS teams still transfer out to US clubs? Montreal plays two strikers, but at AM, there’s still Duke, Iankov, I think Vilsaint plays a bit of AM when not a second striker, there’s Caden Clark who both plays as a winger and a wingback, you have Ruan as well, the new guy, Bugaj is a RWB/RM too. I think JMR also plays inverted on the left, but the new player from Wigan, Tom Pearce also plays there, and he’s looked awesome thus far. Midfield also obviously loaded with Piette, Saliba, Choiniere, maybe they might try Wanyama again too. Wonder how everyone fits in if this is really the roster moving forward. 

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Can Canadian MLS teams still transfer out to US clubs? Montreal plays two strikers, but at AM, there’s still Duke, Iankov, I think Vilsaint plays a bit of AM when not a second striker, there’s Caden Clark who both plays as a winger and a wingback, you have Ruan as well, the new guy, Bugaj is a RWB/RM too. I think JMR also plays inverted on the left, but the new player from Wigan, Tom Pearce also plays there, and he’s looked awesome thus far. Midfield also obviously loaded with Piette, Saliba, Choiniere, maybe they might try Wanyama again too. Wonder how everyone fits in if this is really the roster moving forward. 

Yes. They can still send players to US clubs. They just can't receive players.

They also can sign free transfers until September 13

Edited by narduch

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Duke, Saliba, Clark, and JMR sales gonna pay for them to expand Saputo to 35,000 just by themselves 

I agree with your comments about Saliba and JMR. With Clark, I'll reserve judgment. Never seen him play. As for Duke, if we send him with a couple of empty beer bottles to another team we may get 20 cents in return. I'm not a fan.

17 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

...2027 with club option 2028 

Makes the sell-on clause part of the trade a lot more significant. If he wasn't amenable to a contract extension in a TFC context but was OK with staying in MLS elsewhere now was probably the sensible time to trade him like this before there was a risk he would leave the league entirely at the end of next season on a Bosman.

18 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Maybe JMR objected to watching drone footage of opposing teams and Herdman could't stomach the kid's objections...

Herdman maybe doesn't rate him that highly but how much longer is Herdman going to be around once his past drone alleged activities wind up being investigated under oath in Ottawa? Guess if you are JMR applying the pressure needed via your agent to secure a move to a club that views him as a probable regular starter in whatever his preferred position is was probably the key at this point.

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Herdman, like all TFC managers, is probably under pressure to win now. He's not interested in waiting for players to pan out.

If they really thought that way then why not transfer him for a couple mil when he was 18? There was still plenty of potential there just not the rediculous numbers they threw around.  Its like TFC is a baker that has too much bread but still wants full price on the day olds and ends up giving away the 3 day old bread.  850k FLIM FLAM dollars...I guess thats pretty good?? SHaff went for 300k, the clark deak was up to 150k and a practically useless draft pick.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If they really thought that way then why not transfer him for a couple mil when he was 18? There was still plenty of potential there just not the rediculous numbers they threw around.  Its like TFC is a baker that has too much bread but still wants full price on the day olds and ends up giving away the 3 day old bread.  850k FLIM FLAM dollars...I guess thats pretty good?? SHaff went for 300k, the clark deak was up to 150k and a practically useless draft pick.  

The demand was probably never really there.

Montreal has a history of making these kind of moves. Taking on a 20-22 year old MLS prospect and trying to sell him on afterwards.

Hell they just did it a few days ago with Caden Clark.

Would be really hilarious if TFC drop out of the playoffs and Montreal end up going on a run.

Edited by narduch

With the deals montreal has made, they are the team that looks like they are serious about making a move and doing something in the playoffs.  For all the "we need a winner" attitude from TFC, their moves dont seem great even if they spend their flim flam dollars on a player.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

With the deals montreal has made, they are the team that looks like they are serious about making a move and doing something in the playoffs.  For all the "we need a winner" attitude from TFC, their moves dont seem great even if they spend their flim flam dollars on a player.  

At TFC it feels like the same old shit, but with different people in charge.

that 450 will probs go to paying down lareya dp status.in which he was overpaid in the first place.so tfc have the 2 highest paid wingbacks in the league 3 if you add bernie to that group the worst dp in history,but  no decent striker since 2017.a total shit show.