Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

Can he play AM in our 4-2-3-1? He does not have the high end speed to play wide but looks great in the channels. He is a good playmaker with decent vision and also quite ahead of his peers in technical abilities when in close spaces. With the right development (even at TFC), he is not too far away from being the depth guy behind David in the AM role - for which we really have none.

3 hours ago, ballerz said:

Can he play AM in our 4-2-3-1? He does not have the high end speed to play wide but looks great in the channels. He is a good playmaker with decent vision and also quite ahead of his peers in technical abilities when in close spaces. With the right development (even at TFC), he is not too far away from being the depth guy behind David in the AM role - for which we really have none.

I still feel that is his best position for the reasons you suggest (as I do with Nelson as well).  It just seems that in NA, that is seen as a DP role so these kids are not given the chance to develop there at least on sides like TFC.  And it doesn’t help that Bernardeschi essentially plays his RW or RWB position so he is stuck developing in roles which are not suited to him.

7 hours ago, El Diego said:

He very much played as a right winger when he came on. Looked more comfortable then I've ever seen him in MLS. That was his position in the TFC youth teams when he was labeled a top tier prospect. Don't think it's a coincidence.

I’ve been banging this drum for ever, remember when TFC claimed Shaffleburg was a left back….

6 hours ago, ballerz said:

Don’t think he’s slow and don’t think he needs that high end speed to play RW, I do think Am could work well for him as he’s show to be tricky and deceptive. 

7 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I’ve been banging this drum for ever, remember when TFC claimed Shaffleburg was a left back….

Same. A few of us have been arguing this consistently. His skill set seems best suited to that sort of central attacking midfield role. He seems to be able to see pass as well, and weight balls fairly well, so it seems like a good fit. Conversely, he isn’t that fast, and doesn’t seem to have skills that let him beat guys one on one. And he has been pegged as a wide player for a long time now. 

I am sure if you scroll back a few pages you would find an almost identical post from me.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Same. A few of us have been arguing this consistently. His skill set seems best suited to that sort of central attacking midfield role. He seems to be able to see pass as well, and weight balls fairly well, so it seems like a good fit. Conversely, he isn’t that fast, and doesn’t seem to have skills that let him beat guys one on one. And he has been pegged as a wide player for a long time now. 

I am sure if you scroll back a few pages you would find an almost identical post from me.

I’ve seen him torch guys wil crafty skill moves. 

• 3 weeks later...