Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Let’s write him off at 20 when he’s being forced out of need into a position that he clearly cannot play, on teams that are awful.

That Shaf guy was rotation too right ? Same with MacNaughton?

Same with JRR, surplus to TFC's needs.   As far as the HG tag, dont you keep it even if you are traded? I get that not every prospect will fit, square pegs and round holes etc.  But they basically gave away Shaf, Mcnaughton and JRR, and now they have spots for Malika, Etinenne and Mailua.   FAAAAAACCCCKKKKKKK

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Same with JRR, surplus to TFC's needs.   As far as the HG tag, dont you keep it even if you are traded? I get that not every prospect will fit, square pegs and round holes etc.  But they basically gave away Shaf, Mcnaughton and JRR, and now they have spots for Malika, Etinenne and Mailua.   FAAAAAACCCCKKKKKKK

Their scouting department is just brutal, but player dev is even worse. Buchanan didn’t start thriving till after 20…. JMR just needs a good environment and the right position.

On 6/30/2024 at 10:18 PM, TGAA_Star said:

Best thing for Shaffelburg was when he left TFC to go to Nashville and if JMR were to leave TFC to go to another MLS club, he would actually thrive

...or he could just as easily wind up like Ralph Priso doing much the same at another MLS club that he would have if he stayed or be like Julian Dunn not looking like the answer at CanPL level after a move to Europe turned sour.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...or he could just as easily wind up like Ralph Priso doing much the same at another MLS club that he would have if he stayed or be like Julian Dunn not looking like the answer at CanPL level after a move to Europe turned sour.

Well, let’s home JMR doesn’t have a year long injury in Norway then!

I’m still holding Marshall-Rutty stock. He’s been so injury plagued that just getting through a full season healthy and available will be major for his development. You see glimpses of his talent but he is still a work-in-progress. For context, Laryea’s breakthrough season came when he was 23/24. We need to be patient with him, and despite recent results I think TFC is the best place for his development. 

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You're comparing him with two guys that lost a lot of time to injuries in that crucial development phase of their careers.

22 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

I’m still holding Marshall-Rutty stock. He’s been so injury plagued that just getting through a full season healthy and available will be major for his development. You see glimpses of his talent but he is still a work-in-progress. For context, Laryea’s breakthrough season came when he was 23/24. We need to be patient with him, and despite recent results I think TFC is the best place for his development

I'm with you.  However, the bold part is a stretch.  What has TFC shown to say it's the best place over some famed EU systems and even other MLS teams who have repeatedly succeeded at developing young talent?  I was also hopeful Herdman would manage to motivate and push the young kids, but it's starting to look and sound like a packaged and recycled sales pitch.

29 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm with you.  However, the bold part is a stretch.  What has TFC shown to say it's the best place over some famed EU systems and even other MLS teams who have repeatedly succeeded at developing young talent?  I was also hopeful Herdman would manage to motivate and push the young kids, but it's starting to look and sound like a packaged and recycled sales pitch.

Historically, you’re correct, but these are different times. I’m still backing Herdman to right the ship. This is the first time he’s facing adversity at the club level, and he’ll learn from it, just as players learn from their experiences. The roster is still a mess, but give him a few more windows and some cap relief and I think TFC will no doubt be trending upwards. Barring extenuating circumstances, Herdman will be TFC’s coach for the next few seasons. As a young player entering their key development years, this sort of stability is crucial. We’ve seen players flourish under Herdman’s leadership so I have no reason to believe the results wont be the same with TFC. His commitment to playing wingbacks is also a big plus for JMR. Whether he plays inverted or on his natural right side, having positional consistency is key for him at this stage. Not to mention learning the nuances of the position from guys like Laryea and Bernardeschi is a major bonus.

Maybe he can make a lateral move to Scandinavia or some European second division but that comes with its own set of risks at his age. I just don’t see clubs superior to TFC lining up for his signature given his resume. I think it would be a major gamble trying to find a more suitable alternative. 

1 hour ago, FC_Hali said:

Historically, you’re correct, but these are different times. I’m still backing Herdman to right the ship. This is the first time he’s facing adversity at the club level, and he’ll learn from it, just as players learn from their experiences. The roster is still a mess, but give him a few more windows and some cap relief and I think TFC will no doubt be trending upwards. Barring extenuating circumstances, Herdman will be TFC’s coach for the next few seasons. As a young player entering their key development years, this sort of stability is crucial. We’ve seen players flourish under Herdman’s leadership so I have no reason to believe the results wont be the same with TFC. His commitment to playing wingbacks is also a big plus for JMR. Whether he plays inverted or on his natural right side, having positional consistency is key for him at this stage. Not to mention learning the nuances of the position from guys like Laryea and Bernardeschi is a major bonus.

Maybe he can make a lateral move to Scandinavia or some European second division but that comes with its own set of risks at his age. I just don’t see clubs superior to TFC lining up for his signature given his resume. I think it would be a major gamble trying to find a more suitable alternative. 

I hope you're right, fingers are crossed.  Just gotta keep playing (in the right position) and trusting him.   

3 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

I’m still holding Marshall-Rutty stock. He’s been so injury plagued that just getting through a full season healthy and available will be major for his development. You see glimpses of his talent but he is still a work-in-progress. For context, Laryea’s breakthrough season came when he was 23/24. We need to be patient with him, and despite recent results I think TFC is the best place for his development. 

Everyone blames the Liverpool trial as a thing that overrated him, but it’s probably actually the opposite. He’s the same age as Nathan Saliba who is getting penciled into 2026 CANMNT lineups, meanwhile every other month someone is saying that JMR should get sent down to Forge. JMR being a player who has more Goals + Assists than Jonathan Osorio, by the way. 

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Everyone blames the Liverpool trial as a thing that overrated him, but it’s probably actually the opposite. He’s the same age as Nathan Saliba who is getting penciled into 2026 CANMNT lineups, meanwhile every other month someone is saying that JMR should get sent down to Forge. JMR being a player who has more Goals + Assists than Jonathan Osorio, by the way. 

I thought the hype came from that Guardian list of youth payers from around the world 

18 hours ago, costarg said:

JMR would be better off development wise in Vancouver with the Whitecaps or even in Montréal with the Impact

• 2 weeks later...