Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think in this century, Peters and Wyn Belotte are the wunderkids who did not pan out anywhere close to expected. At least Jamie had a bit of a career. 

Ballou could end up being part of this discussion depending how the next 2-3 years go.

and Canadian Messi!

43 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

European clubs tracking TFC teen Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty - TSN.ca

"Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty’s agent tells TSN a European club was ready to table a transfer offer for the Toronto FC forward, but the MLS team is keen to hold on to the 17 year old and values the Canadian talent at $20 million."

This is just mental. I guess with our recent success we are getting USA levels of hype around our players (i.e. Dike, Pepi). The thing is JMR hasn't even shown anything at the pro level yet. 

46 minutes ago, Shway said:

20M 😳. They need to pump the brakes and drive slow with this kid.

If TFC are valuing him at that, it seems like they are already trying to recoup their projected losses from the Insigne money. 

Or they view him as a very important part of the club and a young Canadian star who has the potential to be at the level of Alphonso Davies or Jonathan David ?

1 hour ago, lbula17 said:

Or they view him as a very important part of the club and a young Canadian star who has the potential to be at the level of Alphonso Davies or Jonathan David ?

That will be determined this year on how much he plays. Nothing else.

3 hours ago, frmr said:

They could value him at 1 billion dollars, it doesn't matter. Like a previous poster said, the market determines value, just like with any other asset.

It does matter because TFC are not letting him go for less than he is worth to them.  I'm sure that they are fine with no one taking them up on the price because they want to keep him.  The market may see JMR as being worth substantially less than $20 million, but they aren't going to haggle the price down if TFC are happy not selling.

7 minutes ago, rkomar said:

It does matter because TFC are not letting him go for less than he is worth to them.  I'm sure that they are fine with no one taking them up on the price because they want to keep him.  The market may see JMR as being worth substantially less than $20 million, but they aren't going to haggle the price down if TFC are happy not selling.

Of course TFC don't have to sell if they don't want, but that doesn't change the fact that his value will be determined relative to other comparable players. If he doesn't live up to the hype and he's only realistically a $5M player, then setting his price at $20M is just a fancy way of saying he's not for sale. Of course it's just posturing at this point.

Edited by frmr

9 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

European clubs tracking TFC teen Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty - TSN.ca

"Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty’s agent tells TSN a European club was ready to table a transfer offer for the Toronto FC forward, but the MLS team is keen to hold on to the 17 year old and values the Canadian talent at $20 million."

I guess we'll see if TFC actually play their 20 million dollar man.  God i hope Bradley brings some common sense and development to that organization.

42 minutes ago, frmr said:

Of course TFC don't have to sell if they don't want, but that doesn't change the fact that his value will be determined relative to other comparable players. If he doesn't live up to the hype and he's only realistically a $5M player, then setting his price at $20M is just a fancy way of saying he's not for sale. Of course it's just posturing at this point.

To add to this, valuing him too high may actually turn him off if he’s worried about being able to move on. His contract expires at the end of this year so they need to get him signed ASAP. 

He certainly looks like he has the talent to be a top end player; but let’s keep in mind that his value isn’t $20 million.  It’s probably closer to $5 million.  Plus he’s played 460 1st team minutes (albeit when he was 16 and 17).

If Toronto keeps talking $20 million the he will not be going anywhere.

10 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

He certainly looks like he has the talent to be a top end player; but let’s keep in mind that his value isn’t $20 million.  It’s probably closer to $5 million.  Plus he’s played 460 1st team minutes (albeit when he was 16 and 17).

If Toronto keeps talking $20 million the he will not be going anywhere.

Or, he will be going somewhere, but on his own terms at the end of his contract, and Toronto can claim a small amount of training compensation.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

To add to this, valuing him too high may actually turn him off if he’s worried about being able to move on. His contract expires at the end of this year so they need to get him signed ASAP. 

Source on his contract? I'm reading he signed a six-year in 2020.