Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So if the interest is real, the best he can do is try to make his way into the TFC line-up, get some minutes, mature as much as he can, and take a solid transfer to a strong European u-18 academy at the end of the season.

He can do a lot better than that. 

48 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Of all the places linked to I would love Hoffenheim the most. At least there he'd have the best chance of playing.

I believe Hoffenheim has a decent record over the last decade of bringing players through, either academy grads or signed at a young age, and moving them on to much bigger and better things.

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Harvey Elliot telling him to sign the ting is random ?

Yes - it could be an inside joke, it could be an expression of hope that he will someday join Liverpool, it could be a lot of things. Assuming this means that there is a formal contract offer on the table and that Elliot took to Instagram to tell JMR to sign it is a real stretch 

19 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Yes - it could be an inside joke, it could be an expression of hope that he will someday join Liverpool, it could be a lot of things. Assuming this means that there is a formal contract offer on the table and that Elliot took to Instagram to tell JMR to sign it is a real stretch 

Don’t we read into these things all the time…

Well, in terms of the real world, can Liverpool even offer him a contract yet or do they need to wait until he's 18 to even offer him a contract? Or can he sign a contract now and he just has to wait until he turns 18 to move? If they do need to wait to even make an offer, then it makes sense that he would continue to consider options in the mean time. If they are able to make an offer but there are still reports coming in from other clubs, then it's possible an offer wasn't made. Another possibility is that a Liverpool offer is on the table, but he's using the next six months to consider it, while keeping his options open and fielding other offers. So basically I've deduced nothing from this post.

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think the Okello-Wolfsburg connection was a lot more nebulous/speculative than the legend that it has grown into on here.

There was either a confirmed deal on the table for him from Wolfsburg or not, that much of it is concrete. 

Where the legend comes into play on here is the emphasis we placed on this afterwards. Specifically, we all bitched and moaned for years that he could have definitely been progressing in the Wolfsburg system, instead of wasting away at Toronto. 

In actuality, nobody knows how things would have turned out, but that never stopped us from narrating how that move would have been positive for his development. It became part of the larger "Toronto can't develop players" narrative, which of course is not entirely undeserved. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

In actuality, nobody knows how things would have turned out, but that never stopped us from narrating how that move would have been positive for his development. It became part of the larger "Toronto can't develop players" narrative, which of course is not entirely undeserved. 

Wolfsburg dissolved their 2nd team at the end of last year. I don’t think anybody would want their talented youngsters going there.

32 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Wolfsburg dissolved their 2nd team at the end of last year. I don’t think anybody would want their talented youngsters going there.

I think the expectation was that Okello would have long moved on from the 2nd team before that.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think the expectation was that Okello would have long moved on from the 2nd team before that.

Maybe. Even then dissolving your second team shows they don’t have a real interest in developing talent. If a young guy needs match fitness and isn’t at the level where he can get that with the 1st team but doesn’t qualify for the youth teams it becomes problematic. Also hiring Florian Kohfeldt shows they don’t have a real interest in winning.

38 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Maybe. Even then dissolving your second team shows they don’t have a real interest in developing talent. If a young guy needs match fitness and isn’t at the level where he can get that with the 1st team but doesn’t qualify for the youth teams it becomes problematic. Also hiring Florian Kohfeldt shows they don’t have a real interest in winning.

All I know is that back in 2018 the board collectively viewed Okello to Wolfsburg as a missed opportunity. That continues to be the popular opinion here as far as I can tell.

I am not sure dissolving their 2nd team in 2021 is relevant to what I was saying. Nobody could have predicted they'd dissolve their second team back in 2018. 

Regardless, I feel like we may be talking past each other, plus none of this has to do with Rutty, so I will digress.

I think TFC put emphasis on it themselves with Okello.  When the rumor got out that they had turned down several transfer offers for him, naturally everyone thought it was because he was important to their plans and they valued him as a prospect.  Or else why not move him on for a payday?  And since then they have brought him along slowly, which could be for all sorts of reasons, many squarely on Okellos shoulders but it definately seems like something went wrong there.  

Rutty sure seems to have much more solid interest from europe.  My hope is that he continues to get the kind of mins he did at the end of last season.  Then he can live up to the hype and either become a regular with TFC (nothing to sneeze at) or get the club a nice transfer and test out europe.  The kid should be highly motivated after rubbing shoulders with the Liverpool stars.  

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Not sure I like the sound of this for JMR. (If Wheeler is correct that this is the plan. Maybe he is just speculating) 

Given there will be no natural outside backs on TFC outside of Petrasso it's not hard to understand why they are doing this. Hopefully this just means they are going with a 352 and keep them as WBs.