Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Credit to TFC for doing right by the player but it’s surprising they would let him go to their rival.

Its also surprising they didn't hold on for that 30 to 100 million offer they wanted for him 2 years ago....lol. 

I'm a TFC, but this team has been a dumpster fire for the lat 5 seasons. So sad.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

They best will be when the use the money to bring in more Flores and Wingo type guys.

I hope not.  I'd really like to see TFC quit bringing it stop-gap type guys and do an actual rebuild.

Of course, JMR was one of the guys I'd hoped would be part of that.

Edited by Kingston

Was NOT expecting that. When I saw his thread was hot I wondered if he played a great game last night (I don't watch Leagues Cup, but facebook told me there was a game).

The fact that JMR wanted to move shows me that he wanted to get out of his comfort zone.  He basically grew up in the TFC ecosystem, and was always close to home and not challenged by dealing with things outside of soccer.  In a sense, it is like him going off to university for the first time.  The move is a good preparation for getting ready for a move to big and better things.

33 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

This is a shock but good for him, Montreal with 2 potentially banger moves in him and Clark.

very curious to watch him, Saliba, Clark and Duke in the midfield.

i hope they don’t use him at RB, our wings aren’t great.

This is wild

Smart business formula for them. If they can get even one of those players up to Mihailovic level they’re laughing. 

I think it’s a good move for all parties. It seems underwhelming given his hype but $850k in GAM (up to $1.3m) + sell on is actually huge for TFC. Especially for a Supplemental Roster player whose value is likely depreciating the longer he rides the pine. TFC’s salary cap situation is atrocious and this move frees up much needed capital. This move, along with a few other bad contracts expiring this winter, should set Herdman up well for 2025. I don’t buy the “don’t transfer players to your rival” narrative. I highly doubt there were other suitors in MLS willing to part with that level of GAM. It’s good business when you remove the emotion from the situation.

For Montreal, this fits their MO, and for JMR, there’s proof of concept for him to reach his potential. A good deal all around 🤝

1 hour ago, Vasi said:

Its also surprising they didn't hold on for that 30 to 100 million offer they wanted for him 2 years ago....lol. 

I'm a TFC, but this team has been a dumpster fire for the lat 5 seasons. So sad.

Let his story be a lesson to the next phenom from the GTA… if big clubs in Europe have interest… pack your bags as soon as you can.  3 years of development, at the most important time, wasted. 

How did packing the bags as soon as he could and going to the big club over in Europe work out for Ballou Tabla? Sometimes young players do not live up to the hype being generated in their mid-teens regardless of what side of the Atlantic they wind up on by 19 or so.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How did packing the bags as soon as he could and going to the big club over in Europe work out for Ballou Tabla? Sometimes young players do not live up to the hype being generated in their mid-teens regardless of what side of the Atlantic they wind up on by 19 or so.

Good point with Tabla… but TFC have botched the development of every player coming through the academy since Osorio… their track record is embarrassing.

8 minutes ago, shermanator said:

This is a great move for Marshall-Rutty. Gets out of the talent graveyard that is Toronto and goes to a club that has a great recent track record of developing and moving on young players.

Is it the club or Nancy that has a great track record of developing and moving on young players?