Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

He was signed to a 3 year guaranteed (2020-2022) contract with a minimum of two years of club options (Given his age at signing, I could see 3 so to 2025).  This is typical for promising MLS homegrown and Generation Adidas player contracts. 

As I mentioned upthread, Curtis was bad, but he would have to be an idiot to sign a top prospect to a contract that ended in the year of his 18th birthday.

In Curtis' words “Jahkeele is the top player in his age group across Canada and the U.S, and he is among the top young players in all of North America. He is an incredibly talented young man. While he’s only 15 years old, he plays the game in very mature way”. “He had interest from many top clubs in Europe"

56 minutes ago, RS said:

Based on preseason, JMR is the starting RB/RWB. Barring injury, he, Nelson and Kerr will all be starters (at least for the first part of the season).

What’s interesting is how Peruzza hasn’t impressed, and has basically lost his spot to Kerr. Will only be harder for him once Akinola is healthy and Insigne joins the team.

43 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Peruzza was scoring and is a striker, Kerr is a winger… 

Kerr can play on the wing. But from the games I’ve watched in preseason he’s been starting up top, on the last defender type forward.  4-3-3.

Unless I was seeing wrong, but Jimenez looked like the outside attacker in that formation.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Kerr can play on the wing. But from the games I’ve watched in preseason he’s been starting up top, on the last defender type forward.  4-3-3.

Unless I was seeing wrong, but Jimenez looked like the outside attacker in that formation.

Transfermarkt has his primary role as right winger. Secondary as left winger and CF.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Transfermarkt has his primary role as right winger. Secondary as left winger and CF.

Yea I saw that too. It also means it could be fluid/they interchange.

I was more so questioning what @Dominic94 was saying. Because Peruzza hasn't started much (if any) games, while Kerr has started the majority. 

17 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

He certainly looks like he has the talent to be a top end player; but let’s keep in mind that his value isn’t $20 million.  It’s probably closer to $5 million.  Plus he’s played 460 1st team minutes (albeit when he was 16 and 17).

If Toronto keeps talking $20 million the he will not be going anywhere.

Honestly I don't think he's even worth $5 million right now. I could be proven wrong fast if he has a great season, but right now, I don't think many clubs in the world pay $5M for JMR.

1 minute ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

I mean I get it more with Davies due his speed but JMR isn’t as fast as him seems like His style fit for central attacking or on the wing 

You get it because he’s been successful playing in the LB position, but you ask Davies where he wants to play - and it’s higher up in the attack. 

These type of moves are done to players later in their career vs early (RM to RB).

Im hoping Davies along with JMR will have Bale like positional moves. 

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Jimenez looked to be the one that was playing striker. Perruzza if I remember right was starting before his arrival. In reality he lost his spot to Jimenez.

Having said that, there would be some rotation between the front 3 at times.

Really solid 1st half for JMR in his debut at RB.  He’s made “the right” play every time and only has 1 incomplete pass with I think 4-5 tackles & recoveries.  He earned TFC’s only corner kick and another 2 nice foul calls.

One criticism is that he hasn’t attempted a dribble.  He will push the ball up but when challenged he’s passed it off every time.

TFC have been shaky so far but JMR has put in a fundamentally solid shift at FB.  He’s had the 2nd most touches for TFC and the rest of the team looks for him on the right side.

He’s been TFC’s clear 2nd best player after Osorio today so far.

edit- touches 

Edited by baulderdash77

JMR finishes his 1st start at RB as Toronto’s 2nd highest rated player at 7.35 (Osorio 7.67 including the tying goal)

Final stats:

Touches 92, 93.3% passing, 1 shot, 1 key pass, 2/2 dribbles, 2 fouls drawn, 4 tackles, 3 recoveries, 1 clearances

He made the smart play almost every touch and definitely didn’t look like a 17 year old in his first start at FB.

I hope this is what we see from JMR this year.

Good game by JMR.  Solid in defence for the most part, transitioned into attack nicely, and created what should have been the winning goal except Jiminez missed the header.   He isn’t going to dominate things this year IMO, but for me being a very competent player in MLS at the age of 17 is excellent news.   Really excited to see what he can do this year.  

57 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I thought he was solid - definitely something he can build on. 
Physically he looks on a different level than last year - bigger and faster. He’s starting to grow into a man

I only caught the first part of the game but that stuck out to me. He has grown into his frame and bulked up. He reminded me of phonzie at his age physically. Don't want to buy into the hype just yet but it's all promising physically and technically.

25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I only caught the first part of the game but that stuck out to me. He has grown into his frame and bulked up. He reminded me of phonzie at his age physically. Don't want to buy into the hype just yet but it's all promising physically and technically.

He’s not close to Phonzie’s level athletically.  He’s a good athlete, but I would say he’s more of a technician out there.  His passing is precise, he moves into open space to give his teammates passing outlets.  He is more of technical player that’s athletically good.  

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

He’s not close to Phonzie’s level athletically.  He’s a good athlete, but I would say he’s more of a technician out there.  His passing is precise, he moves into open space to give his teammates passing outlets.  He is more of technical player that’s athletically good.  

For sure. Just frame wise he got built since I last saw him and looks physically beastly. Haven't seen any evidence of explosive pace and athleticism that Phonzie has but that's rare.