OneSoccer

Foreen

4 hours ago, Metro said:

They’ve been showing about two matches a week for a while now.

The 2022 Liga MX Clausura ended May 29, so they've been showing old matches since then. The Liga MX Apertura season started last weekend and I haven't seen any games from this season on the schedule.

https://watch.onesoccer.ca/ doesn't mention Liga MX and I think it used to. I'm wondering if they haven't renewed the rights.

Is it just me, or during York United home games does it often sound like everyone in the stadium is given a microphone except for the commentator (is it Alf de Blasis?). I think it's due to a combination of a bad mix on the sound, and Alf just being quieter than other commentators.

7 hours ago, Rivaldo said:

The 2022 Liga MX Clausura ended May 29, so they've been showing old matches since then. The Liga MX Apertura season started last weekend and I haven't seen any games from this season on the schedule.

https://watch.onesoccer.ca/ doesn't mention Liga MX and I think it used to. I'm wondering if they haven't renewed the rights.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the league OneSoccer should be looking to pick up to satisfy Canadian soccer fans and that would help bring fans of a different league to their product is the Scottish Premier League. Wotherspoon, Paton, Bair, Loturi, and (depending on your feelings for him) Arfield.  The league almost always has a few Canadians, meaning it's the kind of longer term relationship with the league you could try to build.

That's the tweet from OneSoccer. It would have been better promotion to mention the name of the league, clubs or even players.

It got tweeted by BR Football (5 Million followers). Oliver Platt thinks it will be on ESPN!

Edited by Rivaldo

2 hours ago, Rivaldo said:

That's the tweet from OneSoccer. It would have been better promotion to mention the name of the league, clubs or even players.

It got tweeted by BR Football (5 Million followers). Oliver Platt thinks it will be on ESPN!

He is indeed correct. 

Definitely *not* how I want people to get eyes on the league, but it seems weird that OS didn't mention Akio by name, or tag the clubs or the league in the post. Maybe trying to balance grabbing views with saving face? 

32 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

He is indeed correct. 

Definitely *not* how I want people to get eyes on the league, but it seems weird that OS didn't mention Akio by name, or tag the clubs or the league in the post. Maybe trying to balance grabbing views with saving face? 

I’m not really fussed about this as it isn’t exactly a glowing representation of anyone involved. It seems Valour has managed to comment on virtually every major retweet anyways. However, I do feel like not providing an interview or some sort of follow up denouncing the suggestions of match fixing is a big mistake. It was clearly going viral before the match ended, and an explanation should be provided 

Edited by Aird25

I’d just be interested to hear his side of what happened. 

Did he think it was already a goal?

Did he try to make sure it was in but just completely mis-hit it?

None of it makes an ounce of difference now but hearing from him would probably make sense IMO. 

On 7/10/2022 at 12:22 AM, Watchmen said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the league OneSoccer should be looking to pick up to satisfy Canadian soccer fans and that would help bring fans of a different league to their product is the Scottish Premier League. Wotherspoon, Paton, Bair, Loturi, and (depending on your feelings for him) Arfield.  The league almost always has a few Canadians, meaning it's the kind of longer term relationship with the league you could try to build.

I don't think it should just be OneSoccer.  I've always wondered why no network in this country has ever picked up SPL rights.  You would think the ratings would be very positive.  I just assumed the price for the rights was just too inhibitive.

1 hour ago, Metro said:

I don't think it should just be OneSoccer.  I've always wondered why no network in this country has ever picked up SPL rights.  You would think the ratings would be very positive.  I just assumed the price for the rights was just too inhibitive.

Sportsnet owned the rights up until a 4-5 years ago. 

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

I mean, what are you going to say, and whose mind would they change?

Anyone match-fixing would find a much less obvious way of influencing an outcome, as all the Declan Hill-types out there would tell you.

Maybe worth checking out what happened with the Brantford Galaxy trying to prevent another CSL team from scoring a deliberate own goal. Occasionally something completely blatant needs to be done to protect a desired outcome.

3 hours ago, Metro said:

Price is cheap. But the league isn't of interest to most football followers in Canada.

Past seasons, two matches/week were available for free in Canada on OneFootball. 

https://onefootball.com/en/news/watch-spfl-inc-celtic-v-rangers-live-on-onefootball-32605346

The consensus view is that SPFL hasn't done a good job in marketing its international rights. First off, the rights are devalued because many of the clubs offer their own streaming packages. It's also overpriced which leads people to grey market streams. It's going head-to-head live with the Prem on weekends which it will lose all the time in Canada. 

Judging by the merry-go-around US rights have experienced this century, it doesn't move the needle for a streamer/premium linear tv. It seems to go the latest new platform and then is dumped when the platform matures.

Currently, Paramount+ has the rights but nobody carried it a couple of years ago. B/R Live, ESPN+, GolTV, Fox Soccer Channel & FS1/2 have all carried SPFL in the past but all decided not to renew their rights. 

Edited by red card

The bids for UEFA Champions League rights in the US (and presumably in Canada also) have been opened up today.

Bloomberg expects it to double to US$2 billion for 6 years - which would make it higher than US-based MLS & la Liga deals but lower than NBC's Premier League deal.

All major US media companies are expected to be interested along with Apple, Amazon & DAZN. Amazon just got the rights to show the best Champions League match on Tuesdays in Britain while BT retained the rights to show the rest.

If rights are doubling, only DAZN, fubo, Amazon & Apple in Canada are likely willing to pay up for it.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/champions-league-soccer-rights-expected-to-top-2-billion-in-us-1.1790329

On 7/10/2022 at 7:11 PM, m-g-williams said:

Definitely *not* how I want people to get eyes on the league... Maybe trying to balance grabbing views with saving face? 

"Say anything you like about me, but spell my name right" - P. T. Barnum

They (sort of) didn't even get that from TSN and Sportsnet. Anchors on both channels pronounced Valour wrong. At least Jay Onrait got it right.

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." - Oscar Wilde

20 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe worth checking out what happened with the Brantford Galaxy trying to prevent another CSL team from scoring a deliberate own goal. Occasionally something completely blatant needs to be done to protect a desired outcome.

Yeah, I agree with you. I understand that most match fixing isn't remotely this obvious, but if I had to put money on it (and we had a way to know the truth) I would bet that he was trying to stop the goal. Things like the Haiti own goal looks clearly like an accident. For this though, he was either trying to make sure it crossed the line before the keeper recovers, trying to smash the ball in celebration, or trying to prevent a goal. If he was just trying to get it across the line a simple toe poke or outside of the boot tap would have done the job. If he was trying to smash the ball in celebration he could've/should've pointed his toe down and put his laces through the ball. If he was trying to clear it off the line, he should make sure to stretch out to get there in time and get his foot on the right side of the ball, and half heartedly point at the net as if to fulfill a requirement to make it look like he thinks it's a goal and that he wants it to be a goal. He did exactly that third thing.

Sometimes you see awkward misses from guys who are determined to use their strong foot, even if it is the wrong play. But this didn't look like that. There is no awkwardness from his technique. If he was a defender it looks absolutely normal.

If I was the manager and I had the benefit of that replay, I think I'd pull him from the game right then and there just in case he is on the take.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I guess unfortunately all those people who had never heard of the league yesterday will stop watching now because it's so bad

Reading a lot of the replies on some of these clips that are out there aren’t great. Yes, plenty of sarcasm but still a lot of disrespectful comments about the League which isn’t a good look. 

Edited by gwsmith63

Just now, gwsmith63 said:

Reading a lot of the replies on some of these clips that are out there aren’t  great. Yes, lots of sarcasm but still a lot of disrespectful comments about the League which isn’t a good look. 

Who cares. This is the worse aspect of Canadian culture. We seek everyone else's approval for everything. 

Not a good look? Yesterday we didn't even have a look. 

Half those comments are from morons in their mom's basement who bump around the internet all day but wouldn't know football if it hit them in the face. It genuinely means nothing other than 10 million people have now heard of the Canadian Premier League 

8 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Who cares. This is the worse aspect of Canadian culture. We seek everyone else's approval for everything. 

Not a good look? Yesterday we didn't even have a look. 

Half those comments are from morons in their mom's basement who bump around the internet all day but wouldn't know football if it hit them in the face. It genuinely means nothing other than 10 million people have now heard of the Canadian Premier League 

Fair enough.

Guess the 2022 attendance thread will have some serious jump in figures shortly. If their moms increase their allowance to buy tickets, that is. 😂😂😂

Edited by gwsmith63