OneSoccer

Foreen

7 hours ago, narduch said:

There is really no other way to look at this and not see Rogers as the villain here.

Remember Rogers and Bell both really don't give a shit about Canadian soccer. Guess some people will be happy when we return to the bad old days of 2018. They are almost rooting for it

To be fair, most companies don't give a shit about anything unless it's making them a profit (and even then, they'll cut things that aren't making *enough* of a profit). That's the era we're in.

They cared about Canadian WCQ, the WC, and Copa. But all of that was major ratings for them. They don't care about the day to day because it's not profitable.

Edited by Watchmen

43 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If you had to guess, what do you think is the average viewership for CFL games on TSN this year?

Ranges from about 0.5% of the population up to about to about 2% of the population is my understanding. There's an audience for it but it's far from a national obsession. Bottom line is there's a lot of people paying for TSN through their basic cable subscription who seldom watch the channel so the last 40 years have been very good ones for the favoured sports that Rogers & Co have pushed at people in a gate keeping sort of way. Cord cutting and webstreaming is bringing that era to a close but CanPL and Mediapro were way too far ahead of the curve with Onesoccer given they had a product there wasn't a huge market for given there are so many other more established opportunities for soccer fans like the English premiership, Serie A and MLS etc to watch high level soccer from overseas or closer to home.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Ranges from about 0.5% of the population up to about to about 2% of the population is my understanding. There's an audience for it but it's far from a national obsession. Bottom line is there's a lot of people paying for TSN through their basic cable subscription who seldom watch the channel so the last 40 years have been very good ones for the favoured sports that Rogers & Co have pushed at people in a gate keeping sort of way. Cord cutting and webstreaming is bringing that era to a close but CanPL and Mediapro were way too far ahead of the curve with Onesoccer given they had a product there wasn't a huge market for given there are so many other more established opportunities for soccer fans like the English premiership, Serie A and MLS etc to watch high level soccer from overseas.

500-600k average, which would put pre Apple TV-era MLS ratings well in the shade, and likely makes it their most profitable rights deal, because they pay peanuts. Very similar numbers to their NFL audiences.

I've said it before, but CPL should be taking lessons from CFL, which remains Canada's only enduring and successful national professional league in any sport.

12 minutes ago, jonovision said:

500-600k average, which would put pre Apple TV-era MLS ratings well in the shade, ...

Sure but how about pre-Apple TV-era MLS ratings + English premiership + Serie A + lots of other niche soccer audiences that are being catered to in various ways? Soccer isn't so far in the shade at that point. If nature was allowed to take its course where the CFL is concerned there would have been an NFL team in Toronto 40 or 50 years ago. Instead there's the Argos announcing in the 10,000 to 15,000 range when it often looks like less. CanPL isn't going to be propped up the way the CFL has been so Mediapro were not going to be allowed a slice of the basic cable action.

People can get down in the weeds as much as they want in legaleeze but at the end of the day you're going way at of your way to prevent a soccer channel from being available to Canadians. A soccer channel that's objective is to feature Canadian soccer. I repeat.. a soccer channel. 1 of what? 800 channels? How is this a negative? Who would this hurt? How should this even matter to anyone enough to prevent it from happening? How sick and controlling are these people?

Edited by SpursFlu

39 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

In your case it's likely to be because I don't think it's worth the bother because I've already done it so many times previously that doing so again would be redundant.

Funny that you answer questions that are not directed to you but ignore the ones that are.

I know the current issue Rogers is complaining about is Canadian ownership, but another thing they have talked about is OneSoccer not having enough content to be a channel. For kicks I looked up the schedule for Sportsnet channels tomorrow which includes...

Sportsnet Ontario, West, East, Pacific - 14 consecutive showings of Sportsnet Central on all 4 channels concurrently.

Sportsnet1 - 16 consecutive showings of a Blue Jays vs Red Sox game in 30 minutes, followed by 2 hours of Paralympic coverage, and then the same Jays in 30 show another 15 times consecutively. So that same show 31 times in one day.

Sportsnet360 - alternating between "Gotta See It" and "Misplays of the month" 6 times each. Then after Sportsnet Central, and what look like a couple of radio shows, alternating between MLB Plays of the Week and Plays of the Month Highlights 4 times each.

And don't even get me started on the fireplace channel or the aquarium or whatever other background channels are out there.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Rogers still carries Euro World Sport. Which at one point showed Serie A and Ligue 1. It lost those rights years ago only shows the same documentaries over and over again. It's essentially a zombie channel 

I'm not sure of the logistics but surely OneSoccer (whomever it's owned by) should be trying to take control of EWS and giving themselves a backdoor onto existing cable carriage.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not sure of the logistics but surely OneSoccer (whomever it's owned by) should be trying to take control of EWS and giving themselves a backdoor onto existing cable carriage.

I've made this suggestion years ago.

I think TLN owns it.

Rogers would probably drop it immediately 

Suspect this Reddit post sums up what Rogers are concerned about:

Once Onesoccer is on the cable dial it could be used for something different from what was originally intended in a History channel now has very little history content sort of way. The sooner cordcutting and webstreaming breaks up Rogers and TSN's stranglehold over sports broadcasting in Canada the better IMO. Level the playing field with less scope for gate keeping to play favourites on which events get prime broadcast slots and soccer will be in a stronger place over time.

Beyond that something people appear to be forgetting is that CanPL were planning to do in house:

https://canpl.ca/article/csb-acquires-stadium-digital

what Onesoccer eventually wound up doing for them after Mediapro offered them crazy amounts of money over 10 years. I don't think being on mainstream cable in a traditional sort of way was ever their plan A scenario and I suspect their attempts to break Rogers and TSN's strangehold over how the sports broadcasting business operates in Canada is a big part of why CSB and Timeless are still in the crosshairs on CRTC related issues even after Mediapro's exit.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to question whether we have been taking the CRTC angle too seriously if this snippet of info from an old Globe & Mail article is accurate:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-rogers-onesoccer-crtc-complaint/

...The CRTC does not have the power to force Rogers to carry OneSoccer, but it could fine the company. It might also bring together the two parties for mediated negotiations...

Mediapro were definitely angling for basic cable inclusion:

...Mr. Lopez argued it is unlikely Rogers is concerned about a revolt from customers over the price for OneSoccer. The service sells direct-to-consumer for $10 a month, but Mr. Lopez said he expected the total cost if added to a Rogers’ customer bill would be less than $12 a year.

Nevertheless, the lower subscription revenue per user may be worth the trade-off for OneSoccer if it were to achieve broad distribution into millions of homes, by boosting the rates it can charge advertisers. It would also enable the Canadian teams and leagues whose games are carried on the channel to charge more for sponsorships...

Mediapro and to an extent also Bob Young and Scott Mitchell appear to have been very naive about how Canada operates. A 24/7 soccer channel on basic cable could have been a success over the years with appropriate content (i.e. not CanPL as the main offering but top overseas leagues) but that's not what the Keith Spicer types at the CRTC want Canadians to be watching and it would threaten too many vested interests related to cable monopolies and leagues like the CFL, NHL and MLB.

Having rules that are not actually really enforceable once there's a Canadian content angle with a league like CanPL to pry the door open provides a veneer of fair play but the CFL will be propped up no matter what and soccer will always be marginalized because something something this is Canada something something you should be watching hockey godammit. What Bob Young's angle was is a bit of a mystery but maybe he had his reasons for wanting to disrupt the current way of doing things in sports media terms by being ahead of the curve in the new era of cord cutting so he would be in a dominant position in the aftermath.

On 9/13/2024 at 10:42 AM, Watchmen said:

OneSoccer becoming a subscription channel on Rogers and Bell seems reasonable. Comparable to Sports World or BEIN.  Not sure they can force their way on to the basic cable package.

At the end of the day...how much difference would this really make in terms of visibility and economic viability? OneSoccer is available as a subscription channel on Telus now. How many people do we think actually subscribe?

36 minutes ago, masster said:

At the end of the day...how much difference would this really make in terms of visibility and economic viability? OneSoccer is available as a subscription channel on Telus now. How many people do we think actually subscribe?

Limited, to be sure. But as I said, I don't think they can force their way in to a basic cable bundle, nor should they be allowed to.

The illusion that they might be able to gain access to basic cable courtesy of CRTC fines imposed on Rogers due to "undue preference" may have kept Mediapro hanging around for a few extra seasons though. Instead, the CRTC went down the mediated negotiations route and Rogers are still looking for a way to weasel out of even doing that due to the foreign ownership issue.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Limited, to be sure. But as I said, I don't think they can force their way in to a basic cable bundle, nor should they be allowed to.

I can't even find a basic cable list of channels for shaw/rogers. My package, which is the lowest tv package with internet available. I have well over 100 channels and quite a few obscure american channels I don't need or care for. Would love to have Onesoccer added, at least its some Canadian content and would make more sense.

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Ism't basic cable dying?

It's sort of like trying to attach yourself to the Titanic twenty minutes after it hit the iceberg. It's still floating but it's clearly going down.

More options are always great but tying oneself to a dying platform doesn't seem at all worth it long-term.

Edited by Mihairokov