OneSoccer

Foreen

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

CBC showed the Island games and was apparently interested in continuing the relationship beyond, but MediaPro wasn't interested (or wanted a higher rate). 

I remember reading about why the CBC paid Sportsnet so much money for the HNIC rights on Saturdays/playoffs: because they have to show something, and that math worked that it was still the most affordable way to go. CPL is not the NHL. But we saw them getting 40-50k viewers on the CBC. So the question would be, is that better than their standard weekend programming and if so how much do they normally pay to air it? That's the money they have for the CPL.

CBC doesn't pay SN for any NHL games and doesn't get any revenue from ads shown during the games. CBC only gets promos for CBC shows during the hockey telecasts. And it helps CBC from falling even lower than it's <5% tv viewing share and prevents their median age demo going even higher than 65. 

SN put it on CBC to quell the outcry from people who believe they should continue to watch HNIC/playoffs for free. But with this year's playoffs, SN didn't allow CBC Gem to stream it anymore. 

For 2 of the Oilers games in the previous playoff round, CBC didn't even bother showing them. Instead, they showed an awards and a reality show. All of this might be the first inklings that when the NHL deal expires in 2026, CBC's showing of NHL games will be diminished or totally eliminated.

CBC has also committed to gender parity in their sports coverage which contributed them to be willing to show PWHL & now NSL. Since OneSoccer took over national team rights, CBC has been the only linear network to pay for sub-licensing rights to women's matches. Though, given their budget constraints, only 1 match was live while the rest were shown delayed.

Back in 2014, CBC also said they're out of men's pro sports that are also being shown on TSN/SN due to their limited budget.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

CBC doesn't pay SN for any NHL games and doesn't get any revenue from ads shown during the games. CBC only gets promos for CBC shows during the hockey telecasts. And it helps CBC from falling even lower than it's <5% tv viewing share and prevents their median age demo going even higher than 65. 

SN put it on CBC to quell the outcry from people who believe they should continue to watch HNIC/playoffs for free. But with this year's playoffs, SN didn't allow CBC Gem to stream it anymore. 

Fair enough, though conceding "all of the revenue from advertising on your highest rated shows" isn't exactly paying nothing. They also allowed Sportsnet to use a number of studios (or floors?) rent free over the first part of the contract.

For 2 of the Oilers games in the previous playoff round, CBC didn't even bother showing them. Instead, they showed an awards and a reality show. All of this might be the first inklings that when the NHL deal expires in 2026, CBC's showing of NHL games will be diminished or totally eliminated.

I assumed that was a Sportsnet decision, not a CBC one. But as well, this deal has been spectacularly bad for SN. When the next deal comes around, i think we'll see it dispersed amongst the networks again.

Back in 2014, CBC also said they're out of men's pro sports that are also being shown on TSN/SN due to their limited budget.

This is still sort of my main point on why CBC might be interested. I don't know what the rights fees for the CPL might be, but they can't be high right now. I'm not saying every game is on CBC, but a game of the week could still work for everyone.

23 hours ago, Ansem said:

That makes it harder for them to ignore the CRTC ruling against them - Timeless being Canadian voids their argument and if they persist - then they'll be viewed as the villains here, they have no reason at all not to broadcast those games now, let alone talk about the league at a minimum

The way you've worded this makes it sound like you think Peter Augruso's point was that stations like TSN and Sportsnet are more likely to cover CPL now. I think he was saying Rogers and Bell have less excuse to not allow OneSoccer to have a spot in their linear cable lineup now. No obligation at all for TSN or Sportsnet. We just might get OneSoccer in some sort of sports bundle or have a specialty channel on cable for $10-$15 a month or something.