OneSoccer

Foreen

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't like their player very much, compared to DAZN's (and BT's from 2/3 years ago). Finding something if you are catching up is a bit of a chore.

The commentary itself and cameras are just the world feed and so is fine, for me.  There is is just very little around it.

Yup. If you're on Match of the Day it's fine. But if you're not, there's no pre, post, or half time show. It's pathetic.

Couple of tweets from Josh Demming and AGR sort of crypticly confirm that One Soccer has been firing their on air staff.

Don't think we've seen this officially announced. It's been radio silence from the bigger names (Wheeler, Petrillo, Platt, etc).

The station hasn't stopped broadcasting on my Fubo app, for now.

Edited by narduch

Having the product broadcasted has been fantastic and I think everybody is rightfully concerned.  Also am sorry for anyone who has lost their job, that sucks.

That said - I don't think this will actually devastate the teams in the way the CSL losing its broadcast deal did and I don't see that parallel. 

I get that you want exposure, but how much actual revenue was each team getting from this deal?  I'm guessing not a lot and this won't actually impact their operations financially.  It's not like it was a great promotion for the league either, with all due respect, because the people watching it were the hardcore existing fans and casual or potential fans likely couldn't access it, except maybe a few hardcore EPL fans who had fubo.

My understanding has always been that this is a gate driven league and the main issue for the league is getting more fans out which still remains the core challenge.

Maybe if the league loses some coverage but gets that game of the week on a larger network or streaming platform could actually be beneficial.

Just now, Big_M said:

Very sad period for CPL...Mediapro did the production + paid around $25M over five years helping the league survive...no one will offer such a deal at this point...not sure theres even a 2024 season at this point...need to set up production in under three months which will be extremely difficult...and if Mediapro wins that $50m lawsuit its likely the end of CSB and maybe even CPL

Also very likely that some ownership groups look to sell + possibly more uncertainty or opposition concerning the proposed hailfax stadium

Anyway for CPL to survive they also need a shift in operations to cut costs...which likely means moving to east-west asap which means more teams asap which means lowering expansion fees and stadium requirements

5 hours ago, Footscray said:

...My understanding has always been that this is a gate driven league and the main issue for the league is getting more fans out which still remains the core challenge...

The deal collapsed over missed rights payments that were supposed to amount to $6 million last year. Not having Onesoccer will mean all the CSB negotiated sponsorship deals will likely now at best be significantly less lucrative or could in a worst case scenario be cancelled. Having to take on production costs on whatever comes next on broadcasting would potentially send the financial hit per CanPL franchise into low seven digits. Hardly chump change for a league that's already $125 million in the hole according to Mark Noonan.

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

I wonder how much each team spends on travel and if the league were to get to say 8 teams in the west and 8 in the east with only regional play until the playoffs or final if a significant amount of money would be saved ?

6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I wonder how much each team spends on travel and if the league were to get to say 8 teams in the west and 8 in the east with only regional play until the playoffs or final if a significant amount of money would be saved ?

Doesn't Westjet fly all teams to and from their games as part of their sponsorship deal? And didn't they just re-sign with the CPL until 2027? Travel expenses are not the issue. If you used a bus, you'd still be paying the same for hotels. You'd still also be paying for the buses.

6 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

This is what really matters for fans. I don't know why it won't embed 

https://twitter.com/northtribune/status/1751711757637152852

Quoting so the tweet shows.

My first speculation - they are planning to buy Onesoccer off MediaPro's hands

MediaPro can close shop in Canada and lose all the investment they put into that business or CSB acquires it at a discount or through the courts as part of the damage they are suing for.

In such a scenario, they keep the production but control the distribution.

Clever of that's the case

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MediaPro can close shop in Canada and lose all the investment they put into that business or CSB acquires it at a discount or through the courts as part of the damage they are suing for.

Partner with the CEBL & CHL

Onesoccer can become Onesport

Edited by SpursFlu

22 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I don't think there is enough time for that to happen. 

I don't see a scenario where MediaPro willingly gives up their production equipment to an entity they're taking to court. They'd sooner fly it back to Spain or wherever it came from. CSB is still on the out to buy production equipment, IMO, if it comes to that.

I agree that they could probably sweep up all of OS' talent and crew, but the equipment is where the immediate costs lie, and we're only a few months out from matches.

34 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I don't see a scenario where MediaPro willingly gives up their production equipment to an entity they're taking to court. They'd sooner fly it back to Spain or wherever it came from. CSB is still on the out to buy production equipment, IMO, if it comes to that.

I agree that they could probably sweep up all of OS' talent and crew, but the equipment is where the immediate costs lie, and we're only a few months out from matches.

I thought they would just lease equipment?

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

The writer doesn't appear on to be too familiar with the CanWNT.

Making a few factual errors (completely ignoring the upcoming W Gold Cup).

The real interesting tidbit is that Mediapro told CSB in late 2023 that they were planning to pull out.

2 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Unless Mediapro Canada is totally abandoing the market, they still need some of the equipment for the work they do for NCAA football & basketball, international friendlies in the US & other misc events.

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Yeah, this didn't happen suddenly over a weekend.  Off screen, I'm sure it was a long time coming.  Eveyone had a lot of runway as they prepared to launch towards the exit.  CPL/CSB and Mediapro anyway.  The on-screen personalities maybe not so much.  

8 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Yeah, this didn't happen suddenly over a weekend.  Off screen, I'm sure it was a long time coming.  Eveyone had a lot of runway as they prepared to launch towards the exit.  CPL/CSB and Mediapro anyway.  The on-screen personalities maybe not so much.  

Kristian Jack?  

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Fubo still promoting One Soccer content in its email to subscribers. 

Screenshot_20240128_085702_Gmail.jpg

Champions Cup is actually a Concacaf property. That's good news because games are 10 days away. I look forward to watching Forge Chivas on Onesoccer or Fubo

Edited by SpursFlu

37 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Listening to Footy Prime, it sounds like the people at OS knew this was coming too. Even they (FP) knew something was coming, if not the details.