OneSoccer

Foreen

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

Wow. That is massive news.

Not sure how I feel about that as a fan of 3 of those teams owned by MLSE.

Don't be surprised if TSN does not broadcast MLS next season

I am not familiar with Canadian broadcast mega-conglomerates, what are the all the different potential ramifications of this for sport and soccer?

Will TSN be more likely to air the CPL now?

42 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

I am not familiar with Canadian broadcast mega-conglomerates, what are the all the different potential ramifications of this for sport and soccer?

Will TSN be more likely to air the CPL now?

It looks to be status quo for now in terms of TSN. 

Bell says it has secured content rights for the Leafs and Raptors on TSN for the next 20 years through a long-term agreement with Rogers, subject to league approval. TSN will also continue to broadcast Argos and TFC through independent agreements with the respective leagues.

Bell remains official telecom sponsor of the Raptors and will continue sponsorships of the Argonauts and TFC. Deal doesn't close till mid-2025.

BCE has a relatively high debt load which has made investors nervous about a possible dividend cut. So, this will help to pay down the debt. It also said it will use the proceeds to continue it's transformation from telco to techco with a focus on core growth drivers.

Their media division which includes TSN isn't a growth driver as seen by the continuous budget cuts and layoffs in the past 5 years. And now, it seems they don't consider owning Toronto sports teams a growth driver. 

Not sure what this means for soccer but with the World Cup co-hosting just around the corner I doubt there will any sudden changes. Where this leaves the Argos will be interesting to watch unfold. Bell were the ones that would have been keen on propping them up for TSN CFL coverage reasons. In contrast, Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum have always been gung ho about the NFL entering the Toronto market.