OneSoccer

Foreen

Just now, narduch said:

Not sure what you mean?

Bell/TSN have the rights to Copa. Just like the World Cup.

Why would they share it with One Soccer?

It was just because I presumed OS would have all Cdn mens games. You know what happens when you presume.😊

50 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

It was just because I presumed OS would have all Cdn mens games. You know what happens when you presume.😊

Understandable given the stink raised about the CSB deal, but the rights to tournaments are held by federations (fifa, concacaf, conmenbol etc). 

CANADIAN SOCCER BUSINESS ANNOUNCES SETTLEMENT WITH GRUP MEDIAPRO

Toronto, ON – (June 18, 2024)  Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) today announced it has reached a settlement with Grup Mediapro (Mediapro) as it relates to all legal action filed in January 2024 with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.

“We are pleased to have reached this agreement with Mediapro in the best interest of soccer in Canada,” said Mark Noonan, CEO, Canadian Soccer Business. “With the 2026 FIFA World Cup less than two years away, this settlement will allow us to continue delivering the best Canadian soccer content to fans from coast to coast as we build toward the biggest sporting event on the planet.”

4 hours ago, Big_M said:

bad thing is mediapro was paying millions + producing...wont get that in the next deal

good thing is maybe games will finally get on tv

Where they paying the millions though? In the CSB's counter lawsuit they said they hadn't gotten most or all of the payments for several years in a row and any reasonably competent business person (which I believe the CPL owners to be) wouldn't put that in a legal documents if they didn't have the evidences to back it up.

If they could get, say, Radio-Canada/CBC to produce, put at least some games on, even if only in each team's relevant regional channel, and make everything available for streaming I'd call that a win compared to how it seem to have been with MediaPro.

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

bad thing is mediapro was paying millions + producing...wont get that in the next deal

good thing is maybe games will finally get on tv

A lot depends on what Mediapro had to hand over to CSB to get out of the agreement. Suspect the league now owns Onesoccer lock, stock and barrel and will have to prop up its finances moving forward. A positive at that point might be that Rogers can't use foreign ownership as a way to avoid picking it up as a speciality channel.

10 hours ago, phil03 said:

If they could get, say, Radio-Canada/CBC to produce, put at least some games on, even if only in each team's relevant regional channel, and make everything available for streaming I'd call that a win compared to how it seem to have been with MediaPro.

Not if Pierre gets voted in.😉

12 hours ago, phil03 said:

CBC presumably had the opportunity to get in with the CPL when it started and, if they had wanted to, to see what they could get when things blew up with MediaPro.  They don't appear to be interested, unfortunately.  Their response to the CPL compares poorly to their response to the NSL.

Edited by Kingston

25 minutes ago, Kingston said:

CBC presumably had the opportunity to get in with the CPL when it started and, if they had wanted to, to see what they could get when things blew up with MediaPro.  They don't appear to be interested, unfortunately.  Their response to the CPL compares poorly to their response to the NSL.

CBC showed the Island games and was apparently interested in continuing the relationship beyond, but MediaPro wasn't interested (or wanted a higher rate). 

I remember reading about why the CBC paid Sportsnet so much money for the HNIC rights on Saturdays/playoffs: because they have to show something, and that math worked that it was still the most affordable way to go. CPL is not the NHL. But we saw them getting 40-50k viewers on the CBC. So the question would be, is that better than their standard weekend programming and if so how much do they normally pay to air it? That's the money they have for the CPL.

4 hours ago, Kingston said:

They don't appear to be interested, unfortunately.  Their response to the CPL compares poorly to their response to the NSL.

CBC does not provide funding for production ventures. NSL is willing to eat that loss and CPL wasn't. Simple as. Basically CBC won't show something unless it's being produced by someone else and provided to them. 

Latest Footy Prime 19:00 minutes mark

They explain that when CRTC tried to push the ruling onto Bell & Rogers, they're response was that since the entity wasn't Canadian - they had no obligation to broadcast them. Now that the whole operation is under Canadian control, this will change the circumstances and (not well versed on the matter) but there are some quotas needing to be met I'm guessing as this will be undeniably "Canadian content"

Edited by Ansem

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Latest Footy Prime 19:00 minutes mark

They explain that when CRTC tried to push the ruling onto Bell & Rogers, they're response was that since the entity wasn't Canadian - they had no obligation to broadcast them. Now that the whole operation is under Canadian control, this will change the circumstances and (not well versed on the matter) but there are some quotas needing to be met I'm guessing as this will be undeniably "Canadian content"

That doesn't force them to carry the CPL, though.  Broadcasters must carry a certain amount of Canadian content but they're free to pick what that is.

10 minutes ago, Kingston said:

That doesn't force them to carry the CPL, though.  Broadcasters must carry a certain amount of Canadian content but they're free to pick what that is.

That makes it harder for them to ignore the CRTC ruling against them - Timeless being Canadian voids their argument and if they persist - then they'll be viewed as the villains here, they have no reason at all not to broadcast those games now, let alone talk about the league at a minimum

Edited by Ansem