OneSoccer

Foreen

TSS Rovers are a classic Canadian lower division club that talks a big game and then when the bills come around cry poor.

Last year's Canadian Championship experience is a great example. TSS Rovers had multiple fundraising schemes under the guise of being supporter owned while offering up 49% of the club to supporters. They puffed out their chests about being able to play pros in the tournament and offered to host a Canadian Championship game fully knowing the cost. Then they complained about the costs of having to host Valour.

Big occasion, big result on the pitch. Little to no growth in actual butts in seats outside of the game itself. I like TSS Rovers as a club and think they are one of the best League1 clubs in the country but League1 has so little money invested in the game off the pitch it's no better than showing up to a local rec league in a lot of places.

Regional leagues are a complete pipe dream until enough ownership groups with enough money want to actually invest that money in the game.

5 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I think CFL shows that Canadians aren't inherently opposed to conferences? And we'd be over the moon if we got even half of CFL attendances.

Conferences in the CFL (divisions, actually) don't do a whole lot to diminish travel, nor do they compete in their conference exclusively. West teams play East teams twice a year each, usually, and then play the teams in their own division three times. All plane trips, of course, except Toronto-Hamilton, and maybe Ottawa-Montreal.

Interesting nugget from AFTN today. It was mentioned that Telus may play a big part in the broadcasting of CPL going forward. I was surprised that not every province offers Telus cable. Turns out it's only in BC, Alberta & Quebec. I just recently switched to Rogers but I did recall to my surprise that Telus broadcasted BCHL & Jr Lacross(salmonbellies, shamrocks) may not mean much to people outside of BC but those have a decent following out here. Also on the podcast it was mentioned news out of Edmonton that part of the downfall there was that there was a local broadcast deal that was turned down by Mediapro. Maybe that was Telus?

Telus are a major sponsor of the league so it kinda aligns and it makes a lot of sense

Rogers - Sportsnet 

Bell - TSN

Telus - we wanna play too?

Edited by SpursFlu

17 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Interesting nugget from AFTN today. It was mentioned that Telus may play a big part in the broadcasting of CPL going forward. I was surprised that not every province offers Telus cable. Turns out it's only in BC, Alberta & Quebec. I just recently switched to Rogers but I did recall to my surprise that Telus broadcasted BCHL & Jr Lacross(salmonbellies, shamrocks) may not mean much to people outside of BC but those have a decent following out here. Also on the podcast it was mentioned news out of Edmonton that part of the downfall there was that there was a local broadcast deal that was turned down by Mediapro. Maybe that was Telus?

Telus are a major sponsor of the league so it kinda aligns and it makes a lot of sense

Rogers - Sportsnet 

Bell - TSN

Telus - we wanna play too?

Telus did also carry OneSoccer on their cable networks. Not sure if it was part of default packages but it was available.

15 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Telus did also carry OneSoccer on their cable networks. Not sure if it was part of default packages but it was available.

Yah they were the only 1 of the big 3. Maybe there are other cable providers I'm unaware of in other provinces 

But just on that point and it's water under the bridge but anyone who doesn't think there was funny business going on.. Bell(tsn) no thank you Onsoccer just because... Rogers( Sportsnet)no thank you Onesoccer just because. It's so obvious 

*Cogeco available in Ontario & Quebec 4th largest cable provider 

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Conferences in the CFL (divisions, actually) don't do a whole lot to diminish travel, nor do they compete in their conference exclusively. West teams play East teams twice a year each, usually, and then play the teams in their own division three times. All plane trips, of course, except Toronto-Hamilton, and maybe Ottawa-Montreal.

That's fair, but the point is to move towards limiting travel. And a CanPL with conferences doesn't have to mean no interconference play, maybe each team goes on extended road trips in the other conference to limit airfare? I just don't understand why conferences would automatically put off people.

What's the difference between conferences and divisions btw?

10 hours ago, Cicero said:

...but it's difficult to see an Ontario-only pro league of any kind ever being successful...

The OHL seems to do OK and regularly draws 9000 or so in London, Ont. The key appears to be to move players out of the GTA to where people will actually be willing to pay to watch them play. Difficult to emulate in a soccer context because of how suburban youth clubs in the GTA who have no real interest in moving beyond an amateur "pro-am" approach with L1O dominate district and provincial soccer associations through sheer weight of registration numbers.

10 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

That's fair, but the point is to move towards limiting travel. And a CanPL with conferences doesn't have to mean no interconference play, maybe each team goes on extended road trips in the other conference to limit airfare? I just don't understand why conferences would automatically put off people.

What's the difference between conferences and divisions btw?

Unless you compress the game schedule, the additional nights on an extended road trip paying for hotels probably outweighs the potential airfare savings. 

With 12 or more teams you can probably find a way to make conferences work, but in an eight team league do you really want to play your other conference opponents 6 or 7 times a year?

Edited by jonovision

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Unless you compress the game schedule, the additional nights on an extended road trip paying for hotels probably outweighs the potential airfare savings. 

With 12 or more teams you can probably find a way to make conferences work, but in an eight team league do you really want to play your other conference opponents 6 or 7 times a year?

No I don't. I agree for conferences to be possible you need 12. Or if 10 you'll need much more interconference play.

The hope too is that lower travel expenses will make expansion more feasible. And the latest voy cup proposal by canpl shows that travel is indeed a concern

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

The only way you go with inter conference play is  with a big increase of teams . The minimum and that’s even pushing it I would say is 6 teams in the west and 6 in the east . However, if you can get to 8 in each conference then yes do it if it means saving money.  Unfortunately finding 4 more teams in the west and 4 in the east will not be easy, but hopefully it can happen eventually.

58 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

The only way you go with inter conference play is  with a big increase of teams . The minimum and that’s even pushing it I would say is 6 teams in the west and 6 in the east . However, if you can get to 8 in each conference then yes do it if it means saving money.  Unfortunately finding 4 more teams in the west and 4 in the east will not be easy, but hopefully it can happen eventually.

The East is more realistic for this to happen than it would be on the West.
As the rumours alone will would be an additional 4 with Quebec - 2,Windsor, and KW.

In the West there is "SK", Return of Edmonton...and I'm stuck.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

As the rumours alone will would be an additional 4 with Quebec - 2,Windsor, and KW.

Well, Kelowna was supposed to be coming in 2025 (though I know the latest murmurs are less optimistic).

Not ideal, but suck it up with some lower budget teams with university stadia to fill out the numbers as a stop gap? Could Thunder Bay Chill afford travel within the West?

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

4 hours ago, Shway said:

And it's cheaper to get to Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal etc. from Victoria than it is to get to Winnipeg, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon etc. And the same goes for other western cities. There are only a couple of hubs in Canada that most flights connect to. It just doesn't make that much sense unless your sleeping on the bus, but if you go that route you're going to lose all your best players

40 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

And it's cheaper to get to Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal etc. from Victoria than it is to get to Winnipeg, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon etc. And the same goes for other western cities. There are only a couple of hubs in Canada that most flights connect to. It just doesn't make that much sense unless your sleeping on the bus, but if you go that route you're going to lose all your best players

Not saying you are wrong, but Noonan literally suggests conferences will help with travel costs?

https://northerntribune.ca/2024-canadian-premier-league-schedule-season/

With the 2025 Canadian Premier League season expected to have two more teams in the mix, this should be the last time the league runs a season with eight teams. Commissioner Mark Noonan hopes to mitigate travel costs with east and west conferences when it’s appropriate to do so, but for now the existing eight teams will enjoy an equal schedule from coast-to-coast.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Have they had any   one soccer today shows since the CSB One Soccer announcement? I’m just to lazy to go look , and if they have any mention of it ?

As far as I can tell they haven't done anything since the announcement. 

They have re-tweeted news from the 3 MLS teams. And even posted Davies goal from Saturday. 

And their channel still runs on Fubo. Complete with CPL reruns 

43 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Not saying you are wrong, but Noonan literally suggests conferences will help with travel costs?

https://northerntribune.ca/2024-canadian-premier-league-schedule-season/

As you add more teams and for some teams more than others. That doesn't mean it makes sense though. Even I would be hard pressed to watch another game or two against Valour each season, and how many York fans are going to turn up for the 5th loss of the season to Forge 

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

As you add more teams and for some teams more than others. That doesn't mean it makes sense though. Even I would be hard pressed to watch another game or two against Valour each season, and how many York fans are going to turn up for the 5th loss of the season to Forge 

Doubt a Western conference would ever really decrease travel costs, but an eastern conference with most teams within driving distance could. Add Windsor and KW and you could drive home to bed after all east games except Halifax. Can't see it until there's at least six teams on each side.

22 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Also on the podcast it was mentioned news out of Edmonton that part of the downfall there was that there was a local broadcast deal that was turned down by Mediapro. Maybe that was Telus?

FC Edmonton, when in the NASL, had local TV deals with City TV Edmonton. Fath wanted to continue this with the Eddies when they joined CPL, as they had invested (while in NASL) in starting their own media company, M31, that was used for local TV broadcasts. Fath invested more $$ in M31 while the team prepped for entering CPL but then the deal with Mediapro happened and prohibited the Eddies from negotiating a local TV deal.

One thing NASL 2.0 did well imo was push all their teams to have local TV deals, in addition to the league having National TV deals as well, in addition to streaming.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

They have re-tweeted news from the 3 MLS teams. And even posted Davies goal from Saturday. 

Did you check tonight? It's been a while since I've watched "live", but if I'm not mistaken I think their schedule is usually an episode of One Soccer Today on Tuesday's and Thursday's. The news broke out at like 4:30 last Thursday, which is later than they record the show. I checked for a couple days after the news broke out to see if they would have a special episode or something to address the issue, but there was nothing. Tonight I figured would be more conclusive on if they are done with that show or not. But I haven't checked yet, will try to check tomorrow to see if anything is up.

13 hours ago, narduch said:

...and the schedule ( One Soccer) stops today at 2:02 pm.☹️