OneSoccer

Foreen

I enjoyed the One Soccer product - on air talent were/are very good and access was well worth the annual subscription fee too   

I recall in year 1 of CPL and I was in San Fran at an airport watching a Forge match and think the 60$ spent or so, for the service was great value to watch my home town team while away. 
I also recall a YT live stream of a game and seeing 98 or so people on the stream and wondering how does this work economically looking at production cost v viewership too?

Now with this news today, thinking out loud if Kristian Jack had a premonition of troubles or if his absence is not related to the news today too.  Who knows TBH?

Either way this ends, both CPL, CSB and Mediapro had ample notice beforehand of this news drop today too.  

Where does that leave people that subscribed for OneSoccer streaming app or Fubotv for that matter? 

Feel like every paying customer is suddenly in limbo just before the CPL season starts. 

9 minutes ago, fil said:

Where does that leave people that subscribed for OneSoccer streaming app or Fubotv for that matter? 

Feel like every paying customer is suddenly in limbo just before the CPL season starts. 

I started wondering if that was part of the reason for the announcement today too.  Maybe CSB does or doesn't have something lined up, but at the very least they may have wanted to give people the heads up before subscribing to their respective services.

Just now, Watchmen said:

I started wondering if that was part of the reason for the announcement today too.  Maybe CSB does or doesn't have something lined up, but at the very least they may have wanted to give people the heads up before subscribing to their respective services.

... well I just paid for a one year subscription to Fubotv specifically for OneSoccer...

8dmus2.jpg

7 hours ago, gwsmith63 said:

Anyone else read that last sentence as ‘TSN or Sportsnet has come to their senses and realized the CPL could actually be a moneymaker’. ...

Naw, and Jolly Boy John says get real were my reponses to that. Some national team games maybe on obtaining a rights fee over and above production costs but seriously doubt it for CanPL. If this is the end of Onesoccer the CRTC ruling against Rogers Cable likely isn't going anywhere. Suspect the lack of progress on that front may be what led CSB to walk away if Mediapro had been stiffing them on rights fees etc.

Edit: Worth noting that Mediapro appear to believe that they are the ones that terminated the agreement and the failure to expand beyond eight clubs appears to be their main issue:

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

The parallels with the CSL are depressing at this point. The league first loses an Alberta club (it was Calgary last time) but tries to keep the show on the road in a business as usual sort of way with some expansion, but loses it's high profile broadcast deal at the end of the fifth season as confidence in the initial vision starts to wane.

Next up if it follows the CSL trajectory is one last season soldiering on as franchises slowly fall by the wayside with the most salvagable parts of the league leaving for USSF sanctioning the season after that and what's left of the rest merging with the domestic D3 level. The last big hope for expansion for 1993 before the Blizzard, Supra (there's scope for some pedantry here) and 86ers left for the APSL was the Okanagan valley and this time Kelowna is what's getting talked up...

The 2026 co-hosting and the pot of gold it provides CSB maybe helps avoid that rapid death spiral this time and provides the breathing space needed to make some long needed adjustments to the economic model. Hope so anyway.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, fil said:

Why does it seem Canadian soccer is so hard to build?

It shouldn't be. Countries with a fraction of our population and wealth have fully developed pyramids. The majority of immigrants come from places where socccer/futball is king. It seems people believe the CPL is of such low quality that anyone who ever played high level youth soccer can walk onto a team. They don't know that these teams have shown themselves to be able to compete against MLS and other continental competition. Most Canadians can't seem to get past Messi vs. Ronaldo debates and only consider EPL, Champion's League to be worth their time. 

Whateve the league has spent on marketing, they need to quadruple it. People want spectacular goals and the CPL has produced them regularly for 5 years, but barely anyone has seen them (if they even know the league exists).

I think this is a good thing for the CPL

But I just wanted to say I will miss Onesoccer. I really enjoyed their coverage and it was great to see so much airtime and coverage dedicated to the sport like you would see in a big footballing nation.  It was also great to see so many people get an opportunity in media to cover the sport. I thought they did a phenomenal job

I think back to the extended pre and post game coverage of World Cup qualifying as a major highlight 

Edited by SpursFlu

... if you work for OneSoccer... unfortunately it is not okay.

And unfortunately all media lately seems to be in a state of flux. 

And it's getting confusing for regular customers of sports and entertainment to make educated choices. 

The whole media landscape is in a state of change and it will take time for things to stabilize.

3 hours ago, jdheid said:

It shouldn't be. Countries with a fraction of our population and wealth have fully developed pyramids. The majority of immigrants come from places where socccer/futball is king. It seems people believe the CPL is of such low quality that anyone who ever played high level youth soccer can walk onto a team. They don't know that these teams have shown themselves to be able to compete against MLS and other continental competition. Most Canadians can't seem to get past Messi vs. Ronaldo debates and only consider EPL, Champion's League to be worth their time. 

Whateve the league has spent on marketing, they need to quadruple it. People want spectacular goals and the CPL has produced them regularly for 5 years, but barely anyone has seen them (if they even know the league exists).

I agree with alot of your points but I don't believe the bolded part is true.  At the 2021 census, 62% of recent immigrants came from Asia, including the Middle East.  I would say there are few places in Asia where football is the top sport, despite some big money attempts to try and make them so. For instance, the top 3 sources of recent immigrants - India, China, and the Phillipines (a total of 38.9 of recent immigrants) - are not football powers despite the big populations of the first 2.

One thing add I would add -  and this me just going on my own guns -   being a pretty rich country or at least a middle class country, hurts your football development a bit.  If you have a direct fairly accesible line to a decently paying job, good parents prioritise that for kids.  If you are from a country where that is not the case, you have a lot more kids developing themselves as footballers.  I see the same as us in the UK's (England especially) underperformance despite their love of the game. As I said, just my thought. 

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I agree with alot of your points but I don't believe the bolded part is true.  At the 2021 census, 62% of recent immigrants came from Asia, including the Middle East.  I would say there are few places in Asia where football is the top sport, despite some big money attempts to try and make them so. For instance, the top 3 sources of recent immigrants - India, China, and the Phillipines (a total of 38.9 of recent immigrants) - are not football powers despite the big populations of the first 2.

One thing add I would add -  and this me just going on my own guns -   being a pretty rich country or at least a middle class country, hurts your football development a bit.  If you have a direct fairly accesible line to a decently paying job, good parents prioritise that for kids.  If you are from a country where that is not the case, you have a lot more kids developing themselves as footballers.  I see the same as us in the UK's (England especially) underperformance despite their love of the game. As I said, just my thought. 

Fair enough. Although Asian businesses invest heavily in soccer around the world, I guess that doesn't mean citizens of those countries are necessariy rabid fans. 

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

...I would say there are few places in Asia where football is the top sport, despite some big money attempts to try and make them so. For instance, the top 3 sources of recent immigrants - India, China, and the Phillipines...

Soccer is hugely popular in China and in the Middlle East. There are even some parts of India like Calcutta and Goa where it is very popular. Baseball may be more popular in Japan but soccer is still big as well so I don't think the idea that Asia is a deadzone for soccer bears close inspection.

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Soccer is hugely popular in China and in the Middlle East. There are even some parts of India like Calcutta and Goa where it is very popular. Baseball may be more popular in Japan but soccer is still big as well so I don't think the idea that Asia is a deadzone for soccer bears close inspection.

Your straw-manning what I said as it being a "deadzone" is pretty silly, don't you think?

Being popular is not same as it being "king".  Nor is it the same as developing talent or a team.  2002 was the last time an Asian team got past the last 16 in a World Cup. Nor sure if they ever did better than that year.  If we are talking about underachieving based on population, that is huge.

I have no inside knowledge at all, but I wonder if CSB works out some sort of deal with Sporstnet. I assume they need content for their Sportsnet World channel. What do they show on that channel besides the FA Cup? In addition, Sportsnet just lost the rights to WWE, which will open up a lot of airtime on Sportsnet360.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wwe-broadcasts-netflix-canada

Make a deal where national team games are on the main Sportsnet channels while the Canadian Championship and the occasional CPL match can be on 360 with a regular schedule of matches on World?

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Or even Fubo themselves. 

I don't think Fubo produces anything themselves? It always just seems that they're picking up other channels. Their coverage of the Premier League I find to be awful. So all the production costs would still probably fall on CSB, at which point their might be better alternatives.

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think Fubo produces anything themselves? It always just seems that they're picking up other channels. Their coverage of the Premier League I find to be awful. So all the production costs would still probably fall on CSB, at which point their might be better alternatives.

I don't like their player very much, compared to DAZN's (and BT's from 2/3 years ago). Finding something if you are catching up is a bit of a chore.

The commentary itself and cameras are just the world feed and so is fine, for me.  There is is just very little around it.

Edit: Refering to their Premier League coverage.

Some Bein stuff is downright awful to be fair as well.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford