Jayden Nelson

KW519

I don't know what is going on - he looks reasonably effective when he plays but he seemed to have fallen off the radar at Rosenborg.  He had an injury for a bit and was not able to crack the starting lineup after that.  I think he can be criticized for defensive effort/discipline so with the right (or wrong) coach that sort of thing can put him in the bad books pretty quickly.  Then again, the team has been on the upswing lately (with Jayden on the bench) so maybe it is just a chance to get him a lot of game time with a loan.  

To put a somewhat positive spin on this, the team he is moving to is currently 2nd last in B2 (only 3 games in, but 3 losses) so he should get plenty of starts and opportunities to showcase his attacking abilities.  The reality is that if he can't perform in B2 and secure a starting 11 role on a team like this, he simply isn't ready to take the next steps. 

26 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I assume 2 Bundesliga would be below Eliteserian? Disappointing considering he had a decent year last year I thought. Though more consistent gametime is good I guess

I disagree, I actually think the 2. Bundesliga is a better league.  The history of the clubs in the 2.Bundesliga is incredible this year as well. 

Edited by Corazon

26 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I assume 2 Bundesliga would be below Eliteserian? Disappointing considering he had a decent year last year I thought. Though more consistent gametime is good I guess

A Quick Look at a few ratings sites actually has B2 ranked above the Eliteserian. Maybe this is a case of falling upwards and if he impresses here he can get a sniff at the Bundesliga next season. He is talented and if he can put it all together who knows what level he would achieve. Hopefully this loan gives him tons of starts and he takes the opportunity.

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Honestly? I feel like the 2. Bundesliga is probably better than the lower half of the Elitserien.

The Norwegian league has gone down in quality over the last ten years.

Unexpected but not really given his lack of game time. I agree with others this is lateral or possibly a move upwards. I don't know why things have gone sideways for him at Rosenborg this season, as last year he was a locked in starter when healthy. They paid a decent amount for him by Norwegian standards, with the plan to sell him on in a few years for a profit. I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened, but I feel there was a shift at some point, where Nelson was dropped to the bench and he hasn't been able to win the starting spot back since, not with any real consistency anyway. In the meantime, the club is doing very well with other players in his position stepping up, so this loan perhaps makes sense for the club and the player.

From a CMNT point of view, I am happy to see him in Germany, even if it's for a team that will struggle. He can hopefully get plenty of minutes and impress other clubs who may buy himm Rosenborg are likely hoping for that as well, since the plan all along would have been to sell him. The team is definitely not struggling without him, so perfect time to shop him via a loan. 

He could earn lots of playing time at a club like this but statistically may struggle.  It's the same with any striker that plays for a bottom team in a league.  Goals and chances will be hard to come by all season, let's hope he can make the most of them when they do come.  I also fear this may be similar for Theo Bair this season as well.

If this leads to playing time, then it's certainly a good move. I still maintain that he should play centrally, whenever he was on the wing for TFC he was ineffective but when Bradley moved him into the middle (one of his few good decisions) he did really well. It was soon after that that Rosenborg signed him, so I assumed that's where they'd play him, but every time I have watched he has been on the wing (ineffectually).

1 minute ago, sebdeserio said:

Corbeanu's loan to a struggling 2. Bundesliga side wasn't the greatest but maybe Nelson will fare better. He's got a lot of work to do hopefully he gets minutes and doesn't spend every game defending.

Conversely, he better spend a bit of time defending because I think that is one of the big things holding him back.   A lot of teams defend from the top, and both Canada and Rosenborg are no exceptions.  Unless a player is regularly smashing in golazos, they are expected to be part of a cohesive team defence.  And from what I have seen (and I have made a point of watching a number of Rosenborg games over the last two years) it is lack of defensive discipline which is likely a big factor in his inability to hold down a starting spot.  Using this opportunity in B2 to improve that element of his game would be a big step forward.   

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Honestly? I feel like the 2. Bundesliga is probably better than the lower half of the Elitserien.

The Norwegian league has gone down in quality over the last ten years.

I would disagree.  I think the Eliteserien has improved (or at worst stayed the same) in the last 10 years.  Rosenborg are a disaster of a club relative to its size; the likes of Bodø/Glimt and Molde should not be able to compete financially but have a set up that has caused their squads to be vastly superior to RBK.  

As for Nelson, something has happened because I was expecting good things from him.  To go to Ulm on loan might mean that RBK is trying to get reduce their squad size as this is now 3 or 4 seasons without any European football.  And if B/G qualify tonight, that’ll be another €20 M in their coffers on top of the €30 M for getting this far.  Not bad for a club from a city the same size as North Bay or Brandon.

I will note Nelson began to improve as a player when TFC began to use him as a CM. When he moved to Rosenborg they put him back at wing where his bad habits could creep back into his game.

Nelson even told on himself when he said he drifts in and out of games as a winger and playing in the middle forced him to be "on" at all times.

If he can't figure that out I think his ceiling is quite limited. If he was serious about moving upwards he should be pushing to be a CM where he actively has to shed his bad habits. But then again he has to want that for himself.

It's mostly a lateral move I'd say because Ulm are a modest club. One of the weakest in B2.

If you're thriving in top flight Norway I think your upside is better, because then you move to a stronger first tier.

The only thing it gives him is a full winter of football, as Norway is off from November to late March. 

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

I will note Nelson began to improve as a player when TFC began to use him as a CM. When he moved to Rosenborg they put him back at wing where his bad habits could creep back into his game.

Nelson even told on himself when he said he drifts in and out of games as a winger and playing in the middle forced him to be "on" at all times.

If he can't figure that out I think his ceiling is quite limited. If he was serious about moving upwards he should be pushing to be a CM where he actively has to shed his bad habits. But then again he has to want that for himself.

This

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's mostly a lateral move I'd say because Ulm are a modest club. One of the weakest in B2.

If you're thriving in top flight Norway I think your upside is better, because then you move to a stronger first tier.

The only thing it gives him is a full winter of football, as Norway is off from November to late March. 

I intended to mention this so glad you brought it up. Getting to play so many games between Norway and now Germany should be good for his development, but does he leave Germany early and return to Norway for the start the 2025 season, or does he play out the German season and join up in Norway 5-6 games into the new season?

Either way, it's a lot of continuous football for Nelson.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 8:34 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

So dumb. Like what? Let’s go back to no VAR and then we can all be happy about missed calls? 

VAR isn’t perfect but the complaints about it really just show you that you can’t satisfy everyone. It’s better than the alternative. 

That's your opinion. VAR isn't an outright win, there are pluses and minuses.

Pros
- typically results in improved calls

Cons
- more frustrating when the "wrong" call gets made in the opinion of the viewer (at least for me, maybe others are more frustrated at the lack of VAR with a wrong call in a VAR-less world)
- sometimes lengthy delays in the game
- the rule book has lots of room for subjectivity, so reversing a call can at times just change which fan base is upset at the "wrong" call being made
- increase in plays that don't matter (classic being the offside call that they don't bother calling until later) which can result in increased risk of injury to players
- the biggest one for me, takes away (at least some of) the joy of cheering for a goal when you aren't sure if it will actually count in the end

The first and last cons in my list are probably why I am most against VAR. Increased frustration at some moments and reduced joy in the biggest moments reduce my enjoyment of watching the game. Ultimately we are watching for fun, that to me is more important than striving for unattainable 100% accuracy.

At the risk of completely derailing the thread, I am curious to hear why opinions of people like me are "So dumb."

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

That's your opinion. VAR isn't an outright win, there are pluses and minuses.

Pros
- typically results in improved calls

Cons
- more frustrating when the "wrong" call gets made in the opinion of the viewer (at least for me, maybe others are more frustrated at the lack of VAR with a wrong call in a VAR-less world)
- sometimes lengthy delays in the game
- the rule book has lots of room for subjectivity, so reversing a call can at times just change which fan base is upset at the "wrong" call being made
- increase in plays that don't matter (classic being the offside call that they don't bother calling until later) which can result in increased risk of injury to players
- the biggest one for me, takes away (at least some of) the joy of cheering for a goal when you aren't sure if it will actually count in the end

The first and last cons in my list are probably why I am most against VAR. Increased frustration at some moments and reduced joy in the biggest moments reduce my enjoyment of watching the game. Ultimately we are watching for fun, that to me is more important than striving for unattainable 100% accuracy.

At the risk of completely derailing the thread, I am curious to hear why opinions of people like me are "So dumb."

I’m with you.  If var is for clear and obvious error, I’m all for it.  

var tells ref, his stud was knee height and ball was 17 meters away. Go back and card him.  

but this tedious minuscule errors ruins the joy