TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

I'd rather have seen a young promising player at CB instead of an aging one (who isn't the best in defense to begin with). 

I wonder what Liam Fraser would look like in the Drew Moor role? Middle player in the back 3.

Does he have the attributes to be groomed into this position?

I would think it's worth discussing at the very least.

A lot would depend on his potential for leadership and organization.

Edited by Obinna

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wonder what Liam Fraser would look like in the Drew Moor role? Middle player in the back 3.

Does he have the attributes to be groomed into this position?

I would think it's worth discussing at the very least.

A lot would depend on his potential for leadership and organization.

Or just give Julian Dunn a shot at CB?

38 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Or just give Julian Dunn a shot at CB?

Well yeah, that would be great, the more the merrier, but he's more of a Ciman or Mavinga than a Moor.

What the backline really needs is a Moor replacement.

Ciman is not it. Zavaleta is not it. Mavinga is not it.

So Telfer and Daniels have been loaned to York9 and Ottawa Fury, respectively. That presumably means 3 roster spots are open now, a fourth once it is figured out what the hell is going to happen with VDW.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/06/toronto-fc-loan-three-players-ottawa-fury-fc

http://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-acquires-ryan-telfer-on-loan-from-toronto-fc

These are all season-long loans so this reduces the number of Canadians on the senior team to: Osorio, Hamilton, Chapman, Morgan, Fraser, Okello and Dunn. Though I am wondering if this is good news in terms of opening up a spot to sign Laryea, and maybe at some point later in the year, Shaffelburg.

I think laryea will sign with Hamilton. 

Players must be coming in fairly soon if they loaned out all these guys today. I'm slightly disappointed and happy that Telfer is loaned for a year. It will be nice to see him play at York but he was one of the only fast guys on TFC. 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:23 PM, Gian-Luca said:

So Telfer and Daniels have been loaned to York9 and Ottawa Fury, respectively. That presumably means 3 roster spots are open now, a fourth once it is figured out what the hell is going to happen with VDW.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/06/toronto-fc-loan-three-players-ottawa-fury-fc

http://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-acquires-ryan-telfer-on-loan-from-toronto-fc

These are all season-long loans so this reduces the number of Canadians on the senior team to: Osorio, Hamilton, Chapman, Morgan, Fraser, Okello and Dunn. Though I am wondering if this is good news in terms of opening up a spot to sign Laryea, and maybe at some point later in the year, Shaffelburg.

All the more reason to hope you bomb in the Voyageurs Cup, it's bad enough you've been given an unmerited bye for nothing.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All the more reason to hope you bomb in the Voyageurs Cup, it's bad enough you've been given an unmerited bye for nothing.

They got the bye because they are the defending champions and to be fair have to play extra games from the champions league. I dont like the rule but it kind of makes sense and I think it will only be for one year. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

They got the bye because they are the defending champions and to be fair have to play extra games from the champions league. I dont like the rule but it kind of makes sense and I think it will only be for one year. 

Not only does it not make sense, but it has never been applied on that criteria before. It is a rule made a la carte for TFC on the basis of six months crying about how those tough Concacaf fixtures were a cause for such a shitty season after the final. 

I am not saying it was not a factor in their poor season. But you do nott change a law to favour one team because they could not handle the responsability that comes with success. If they had made the playoffs, had a good season after the final, would they have gotten a bye? I think not. Meaning: if they had done well, they would have not been bitching about fixtures, and their buddies at the CSA would have "punished" them by applying the same rules to TFC as to all the other teams in the competition. So it is absurd both ways and on top of things: their crap attitude towards Canadians. I want to see if they fulfill the minimum rules for Canadian content in the V-Cup, or if that is waived in this festival of legal exceptionality as well.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not only does it not make sense, but it has never been applied on that criteria before. It is a rule made a la carte for TFC on the basis of six months crying about how those tough Concacaf fixtures were a cause for such a shitty season after the final. 

I am not saying it was not a factor in their poor season. But you do nott change a law to favour one team because they could not handle the responsability that comes with success. If they had made the playoffs, had a good season after the final, would they have gotten a bye? I think not. Meaning: if they had done well, they would have not been bitching about fixtures, and their buddies at the CSA would have "punished" them by applying the same rules to TFC as to all the other teams in the competition. So it is absurd both ways and on top of things: their crap attitude towards Canadians. I want to see if they fulfill the minimum rules for Canadian content in the V-Cup, or if that is waived in this festival of legal exceptionality as well.

They have plenty of Canadians to meet the minimum criteria which is three starters at the moment. 

Why so mad bro?

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not sure why TFC loaning young Canadians to get them more playing time and better chances of development is a source of hatred but I agree that the bye is unmerited and ridiculous. Mind you so is the bye in the first round for three of the CPL teams and the fact that the same three are also the only one eligible for a CL spot. But I bear no ill will against those three teams for the ridiculous decision the CSA made in this regard.

That said, I expect that rather than bomb out of the V-Cup this year, TFC will make it at least to the semifinals. ?

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I want to see if they fulfill the minimum rules for Canadian content in the V-Cup, or if that is waived in this festival of legal exceptionality as well.

I pointed it out elsewhere, but they'll be fine by virtue of being able to call up from TFCII. Even without the reserve team, they more than meet the requirements from their MLS roster.

TFC have more Canadians under contract than any other club in the country.

6 hours ago, RS said:

I pointed it out elsewhere, but they'll be fine by virtue of being able to call up from TFCII. Even without the reserve team, they more than meet the requirements from their MLS roster.

I am so relieved MLS won't have to pull strings on that front too.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure why TFC loaning young Canadians to get them more playing time and better chances of development is a source of hatred but I agree that the bye is unmerited and ridiculous. Mind you so is the bye in the first round for three of the CPL teams and the fact that the same three are also the only one eligible for a CL spot. But I bear no ill will against those three teams for the ridiculous decision the CSA made in this regard.

That said, I expect that rather than bomb out of the V-Cup this year, TFC will make it at least to the semifinals. ?

My personal view is that if Whitecaps draw a CPL team it'll be a great experience. Even on that count TFC is likely to miss out this year. ..though it's not sure. 

12 hours ago, RS said:

While this is true and likely less a problem for the semi-final which will likely be against Ottawa (or Halifax, Valour or Vaughan), I imagine for the final - assuming they get there and assuming they are up against either Vancouver or Montreal - it's less likely they will want to start at a TFC2 player to meet the competition requirements, especially with some of the better TFC2 players going out on loan and presumably cup-tied (which presumably will also apply to Telfer & Daniels from the first team, and possibly two more presumably TFC players going by Curtis's words, unless its Dunn & Okello who are loaned out). Should three of Osorio, Hamilton, Chapman, Morgan or Fraser (the 5 Canucks most likely to pick up significant minutes with the first team this year) be injured or suspended for either leg of the final (not inconceivable - and less likely to be a problem for their first games in the semi-final round when they are starting the tourney), they will be cutting it a bit fine I think at the current numbers they have in being able to start experienced players (or ones with significant 1st team minutes) they have confidence in to win the final.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am so relieved MLS won't have to pull strings on that front too.

It's never happened in the 11 previous editions of the tournament, so I'm not sure why you're suddenly concerned about it now.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

While this is true and likely less a problem for the semi-final which will likely be against Ottawa (or Halifax, Valour or Vaughan), I imagine for the final - assuming they get there and assuming they are up against either Vancouver or Montreal - it's less likely they will want to start at a TFC2 player to meet the competition requirements, especially with some of the better TFC2 players going out on loan and presumably cup-tied (which presumably will also apply to Telfer & Daniels from the first team, and possibly two more presumably TFC players going by Curtis's words, unless its Dunn & Okello who are loaned out). Should three of Osorio, Hamilton, Chapman, Morgan or Fraser (the 5 Canucks most likely to pick up significant minutes with the first team this year) be injured or suspended for either leg of the final (not inconceivable - and less likely to be a problem for their first games in the semi-final round when they are starting the tourney), they will be cutting it a bit fine I think at the current numbers they have in being able to start experienced players (or ones with significant 1st team minutes) they have confidence in to win the final.

Right, I wasn't speaking to the quality of players TFC will have to draw from, just the quantity.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:16 PM, jpg75 said:

That would be CSA, not MLS.

After they had to grant exemptions to the Whitecaps 2 for CanCon a few years ago i don't the CSA would want to show favouritism again.

Quite right. 

I do not favour any Canadian team getting any privilege in the competition. I mean, it gets you to the Champions League, it is the fastest track to any similar club competition anywhere, it is a frigging gift from the CSA. So let them damn well play a minimum no of games, always, no matter what; and let them bolster the conditions for playing it by ensuring the minimum number of Canadians is fulfilled, and, better, increased.

4 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Any word on Van Der Wiel's situation? Or are they just going to eat his contract?...

Probably have to wait til the summer to do something with him.

Pozuelo has the flu and won't play for Genk Sunday. Smart move and gives him a solid break which he needs before starting with TFC March 29th.