Ottawa Fury 2019 USL season

gwsmith63

Roster so far, first exhibition tomorrow (saturday) against Carleton U.

GOALKEEPERS
DAVID MONSALVE
DEFENDERS
NANA ATTAKORA
MAXIM TISSOT
DAKOTA BARNATHAN
ONUA OBASI
JADON VILFORT
CARL HAWORTH
THOMAS MEILLEUR-GIGUÈRE
MIDFIELDERS
CHRIS MANNELLA
WAL FALL
LUCA RICCI
JÉRÉMY GAGNON-LAPARÉ
CHARLIE WARD
KEVÍN OLIVEIRA
JAMAR DIXON
FORWARDS
CHRISTIANO FRANÇOIS
Little short on forwards and goalies, hopefully another couple of signing soon and maybe some loanees from Toronto and Vancouver.

The first pre-season game was yesterday and it was not open, there is another game this week i do not know about that one, there are 2 games in Florida, the one against Phladelphia is not open to fans but maybe streamed,  the 4th game against the Icelandic team is at ING Academy and in the past the games at ING are open to the public but have also been streamed.

2 pre-season games completed, 2-1 win v Carleton University and a 4-0 win against Mistral de Sherbrooke , Fury wrap up their training camp in the cold on monday and then head to Florida at IMG Academy where they will stay until the season starts, they will play 2 games, one against Philadephia Union and the other against a Icelandic team.

Fury also added 3 more players, trialists Thiago De Freitas and El Hadji Mour Samb and also Daniel Kinumbe on loan from Montreal Impact.

Fury sign GK Jordan Tisseur from the Impact Academy. https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/997350

So do they go with Monsalve and get another keeper on loan or do they sign Quillan Roberts to battle with Monsalve, hopefully Monsalve gets the opportunity to be #1.  They also haven't announced the signing of AJ Gray who was on trial, so he could be heading to CPL, he had a few offers (York9 and Cavalry if I recall correctly).

4 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Fury sign GK Jordan Tisseur from the Impact Academy. https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/997350

So do they go with Monsalve and get another keeper on loan or do they sign Quillan Roberts to battle with Monsalve, hopefully Monsalve gets the opportunity to be #1.  They also haven't announced the signing of AJ Gray who was on trial, so he could be heading to CPL, he had a few offers (York9 and Cavalry if I recall correctly).

I doubt Roberts will sign in Ottawa, If he was going to it would be done already. I suspect he's signed with a CPL team is waiting to be announced. 

9 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I doubt Roberts will sign in Ottawa, If he was going to it would be done already. I suspect he's signed with a CPL team is waiting to be announced. 

I agree, if Ottawa was going to bring Roberts in to fight for a starting spot they would have announced him already.  There is still a couple CPL teams needing a starter, he could go to Forge or York.  Ottawa might still get another keeper from Montreal before its all done (once they are all healthy).  I dont think any of them will have the impact (pun intended) that Crepeau had last year.  

Ottawa Fury moved their training camp from frozen Ottawa to warm and sunny  Florida, a few days ago, today they played their 3rd pre-season after playing a university team and a quebec young team, they played MLS team Philadelphia Union, with the Union team winning 2-1, Fury's goal was scored by Christiano Francois. Fury's final pre-season game is next saturday at IMG Academy against Icelandic team Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar (FH) .

I was at the game yesterday (was let in through a side fence).  Looked rusty and same issues as last year in terms of creativity.  But it was the Fury’s first real test so not unexpected and it was the Philadelphia Union’s last friendly before the TFC opener next weekend.

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I was at the game yesterday (was let in through a side fence).  Looked rusty and same issues as last year in terms of creativity.  But it was the Fury’s first real test so not unexpected and it was the Philadelphia Union’s last friendly before the TFC opener next weekend.

Thanks! When you say same issues as last year, what do you mean?

The two most glaring ones I remembered were:

1. Midfield unable or unwilling to counter quickly. Held on to the ball so long nobody was able to attempt runs behind the back line.

2. When wingers had the ball down the line, no support in our near the box, meaning wingers had to single-handedly beat multiple defenders to even get a half-chance.

Also, if those issues were to stay in place, how much patience do you expect the club to have with Popovic? 

Well, I saw only 70 mins and the answer was yes and yes.  I would say the opposition was a higher quality than what the Fury will face this season so may have been due to them as well.  I saw a few positive signs:  Fall and Haworth looked good and Monsalve was confident although his distribution has some work to do.

26 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Well, I saw only 70 mins and the answer was yes and yes.  I would say the opposition was a higher quality than what the Fury will face this season so may have been due to them as well.  I saw a few positive signs:  Fall and Haworth looked good and Monsalve was confident although his distribution has some work to do.

How did Kinumbe do? Did he play left back?

Extensive article from the Ottawa Citizen

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/ottawas-fury-road-five-years-in-can-pro-soccer-find-its-footing-in-the-capital

Of note;

- The USL franchise agreement would permit Fury FC to depart without penalty in favour of a Canadian league, but that provision requires one year’s advance notice, and the deadline for both 2019 and 2020 has passed.

- Goudie says the team “owes it to Ottawa to play in the highest-calibre league that we’re capable of,” and OSEG said last summer that, while it would stick with USL for 2019, it would reassess emerging CPL after that.

“Which is what we’ve said from the start: It’s not ‘no,’ it’s ‘not now,’” Goudie says. “(CPL teams) haven’t kicked a soccer ball, but let’s see how things transpire with them. We were clear with the CPL that, ‘Get into your first season, let’s see where things go and we’ll leave the door open to have whatever discussions we need to have going forward.’”

- Goudie says Fury FC’s attendance goal is between 7,500 and 10,000, which would represent an increase of between 50 and 100 per cent.

- Goudie says the targeted attendance of 7,500-10,000 would make Fury FC profitable, or at least break-even, and he confirms OSEG has “invested” $15 million in start-up costs, two league entry fees and operating losses through five seasons.

“We knew what we were getting into, so it’s not a bitch or complaint (about financial losses), but, when people talk us not being committed to soccer and not being committed to Canadian soccer, with the work that Julian has done for the Canadian program, with the players we have had in here, with us losing players to the Canadian national team at important times for our season,” Goudie says. “We’ve got a deep commitment to Canadian soccer, so it offends me when people talk about our lack of desire to join the CPL as somehow not nationalistic and counter to what Canadian soccer is trying to accomplish.

The comments about attendance are telling to me. If, 5 years in, you're still that far off your target you're not doing things right. I don't know if a jump to the CPL would help attendance, I could see the average number growing to 6000 potentially. It seems it would at least improve the revenue/costs ratio.