Dayne St. Clair

section114row20

On 2/19/2024 at 2:03 PM, toontownman said:

Hope Dayne gets a move to Europe in the summer. 

He hasn't really dominated MLS. Any European move would be a move to a lower league or else a move to the bench on a similar level league.

Unless a team comes offering him a guaranteed starting spot at a better level I don't see him moving.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I wrote a slightly optimistic look at our GK depth. Feedback would be appreciated

https://onesoccer.ca/a/canmnt-depth-chart-which-goalkeepers-will-jesse-marsch-turn-to-for-france-netherlands-friendlies 

DSC's shot stopping numbers are ahead of the pack this year. Distribution, not so much...

Dayne St Clair right now is at best our #2 with Crepeau being our #1 right now but can he overtake Crepeau and become our #1? It's possible 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I wrote a slightly optimistic look at our GK depth. Feedback would be appreciated

https://onesoccer.ca/a/canmnt-depth-chart-which-goalkeepers-will-jesse-marsch-turn-to-for-france-netherlands-friendlies 

DSC's shot stopping numbers are ahead of the pack this year. Distribution, not so much...

Hi, thanks for that, well written and detailed as well. 

I think the basic skillset is better with Crepeau, as much of your data indicates. 

Even when we saw DSC with our pre-Qatar friendly, there were little things that don't show up in this data. Like for example: usually Crepeau goes up for high balls and holds on well and safely. DSC will occasionally drop, or let slip. In fact that was a little detail I did not like about Borjan, he often lets softer shots bounce off his hands before gathering. Crepeau has very sure handling when he is at his best. 

Foot distribution is also a factor, as you say here. Borjan had zero confidence, he did not believe in it and apparently was never asked by coaches to do it. I was not aware Dwayne was so weak. Crepeau, without being a master, is better, and at LA was required to do it. I don't really trust Neville's coaching at Portland so am not surprised his stats are suffering under that system. Then that other little thing, where I am not sure Crepeau is as physically sharp since his injury. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I really enjoyed reading your article - well written, good length, and you did a good job of presenting stats (and explaining them) to present your arguments... looking forward to your next one.  

It'll be interesting to see if Marsch chooses a goalie based on how he feels a goalie fits into his system, or adjust his tactics to fit his goalie's strengths - i.e., does he want a goalie with good distribution skills / good with his feet.

As a footnote, I should reference some of these Portland team stats in one of the "Canada CB's are bad" threads.

Edited by TOcanadafan

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hi, thanks for that, well written and detailed as well. 

I think the basic skillset is better with Crepeau, as much of your data indicates. 

Even when we saw DSC with our pre-Qatar friendly, there were little things that don't show up in this data. Like for example: usually Crepeau goes up for high balls and holds on well and safely. DSC will occasionally drop, or let slip. In fact that was a little detail I did not like about Borjan, he often lets softer shots bounce off his hands before gathering. Crepeau has very sure handling when he is at his best. 

Foot distribution is also a factor, as you say here. Borjan had zero confidence, he did not believe in it and apparently was never asked by coaches to do it. I was not aware Dwayne was so weak. Crepeau, without being a master, is better, and at LA was required to do it. I don't really trust Neville's coaching at Portland so am not surprised his stats are suffering under that system. Then that other little thing, where I am not sure Crepeau is as physically sharp since his injury. 

Crepeau improved with his passing execution and decision making while with the Caps (i.e. he stopped floating diagonal balls out to Nerwinski because those ended up being turnovers simply because Jake lacks skill!) and his command of the p.a. with the Caps was first rate. 

DSC's strength is his reflex shot stopping (big guy, condor wing span, quick reactions, very athletic) but he doesn't command his p.a. like he should nor does he catch as often as he should.  The ball-at his-feet play is defensive rather than initiating build up but even in this tactical age I could live with that; however, I think that command of the box is a very important area to improve.  

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Two or three excellent stretching saves, but everything else was pretty routine. Good job, DSC.

De Gea has the record for most saves in a premier league game with 14. DSC had 16 last night. Nothing routine about that.

https://www.statmuse.com/fc/ask/most-saves-made-by-a-goalkeeper-in-a-single-game

He actually tied the single game MLS record which is held by none other than Maxine Crepeau.

Edited by InglewoodJack

The total number of saves certainly isn't routine for a single game. However, if he'd conceded on any bar a couple of those shots, you'd be fuming as a Minnesotan. The two or three saves that were more than routine were excellent. Let's not oversell it. He got the job done and deserves credit, but most of it was just the job.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The total number of saves certainly isn't routine for a single game. However, if he'd conceded on any bar a couple of those shots, you'd be fuming as a Minnesotan. The two or three saves that were more than routine were excellent. Let's not oversell it. He got the job done and deserves credit, but most of it was just the job.

Agreed. Aside from the 2-3 amazing saves, everything else is what you expect him to stop. I think it's just the quantity of saves that make the highlight package so impressive. 

• 1 month later...