CPL players with senior Canada caps

Kent

I thought it would be fun to see which players on CPL rosters are capped. Here is the list as of January 9th.

CMNT Players Club Caps  
Marcel de Jong Pacific 56  
Nik Ledgerwood Cavalry 50  
Issey Nakajima-Farran Pacific 38  
Marcus Haber Pacific 27  
Kyle Bekker Forge 18  
Randy Edwini-Bonsu Edmonton 10  
Michael Petrasso Valour 9  
Kyle Porter York 9 6  
Ben Fisk Pacific 2  
Manny Aparicio York 9 1  
Quillan Roberts Forge 1  
Mason Trafford Cavalry 1  

Foreign Club Nation Caps
Jan-Michael Williams Wanderers Trinidad & Tobago 79
James Marcelin Edmonton Haiti 34
Justin Springer York 9 St. Kitts & Nevis 11
Emery Welshman Forge Guyana 9
Kareem Moses Edmonton Trinidad & Tobago 7
Dominique Malonga Cavalry Congo 7
Elimane Oumar Cisse Forge Senegal 5
Bertrand Owundi Forge Cameroon 2
Akeem Garcia Wanderers Trinidad & Tobago 1
Elton John Wanderers Trinidad & Tobago 1

Teams Canada caps Total caps  
Pacific 123 123  
Wanderers 0 81  
Cavalry 51 56  
Edmonton 10 51  
Forge 19 37  
York 9 7 18  
Valour 9 9  

I'll probably stop keeping track when the season kicks off and maybe revisit before season 2.

Edited by Kent

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I thought it would be fun to see which players on CPL rosters are capped. Here is the list as of January 9th.

Nik Ledgerwood 50
Marcus Haber 27
Kyle Bekker 18
Randy Edwini-Bonsu 10
Kyle Porter 6

If/when there are teams with more than one capped player, I'll start putting the team totals as well. I'll probably stop keeping track when the season kicks off and maybe revisit before season 2.

nice, i hope each team has at least 1 guy for kick off.

also should include non canadian senior capped players as well as they pop up

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I’ll be especially excited to see how long it takes for the first previously uncapped player the get their first CMNT cap, particularly if a CPL club is their first professional club. 

This is one of the reasons I want to stop updating when the season kicks off, and start again next offseason. I want to see year to year the changes. Both in terms of signing capped players, and players getting capped based on CPL.

The other reason I want to stop then is laziness.

32 minutes ago, Initial B said:

What about the Fury's Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare (5 caps), Nana Attakora (10), Chris Mannella (1), David Monsalve (1), Maxime Tissot (12), and Jamar Dixon (3)? Shouldn't you add them to your list? ?

Maybe next year ;)

4 hours ago, matty said:

nice, i hope each team has at least 1 guy for kick off.

also should include non canadian senior capped players as well as they pop up

I considered that. Since there is at least one person interest, I can do that if/when it happens.

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

I considered that. Since there is at least one person interest, I can do that if/when it happens.

I was just about to jump in to talk about Franco-Ontarian Zakary Sukunda having been capped but then I wiki'd the kid and turns out he hasn't been capped yet. I got to see him when he was with FC Montréal and he's actually really, really good. I can't imagine he'll be off the list for long. 

Almost certainly Jackson Farmer will be added in the coming weeks. 

Maybe Manny Aparicio although he just joined a club in lower league Spain, dropping down a division in the process which is a shame. Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault, Caleb Clarke, Jordan Hamilton, Quillan Roberts?

Tyler Rosenlund, Evan James- do they even play anymore?

15 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Maybe Manny Aparicio although he just joined a club in lower league Spain, dropping down a division in the process which is a shame. Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault, Caleb Clarke, Jordan Hamilton, Quillan Roberts?

Manny Aparicio is out of contract now I believe.  

Few other capped names that could/should be realistic: Matt Stinson, Stefan Cebara, La'vere Corbin-Ong, Issey Nakajima, Tomer Chencinski, Ben Fisk, Ben McKendry, Haidar Al-Shaïbani, Mason Trafford.  A few of those guys may not play anymore but I know they were active as late as 2017.   

2 hours ago, Kent said:

This is one of the reasons I want to stop updating when the season kicks off, and start again next offseason. I want to see year to year the changes. Both in terms of signing capped players, and players getting capped based on CPL.

The other reason I want to stop then is laziness.

Dude we play how many matches a year? Keep it up ; )

Edited by hamiltonfan

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Manny will be playing for York9...haven’t heard much on the other names

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

I've added Bertrand Owundi even though transfermarkt doesn't have any caps listed for him. The CPL release mentioned he was capped by Cameroon so I consulted Wikipedia and he has 3 caps according to them.

Transfer Markt (and FIFA maybe) might see his caps as being unofficial as the tournament is kind of for the best of the domestic leagues rather than traditional national teams

Edited by matty

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

I've added Bertrand Owundi even though transfermarkt doesn't have any caps listed for him. The CPL release mentioned he was capped by Cameroon so I consulted Wikipedia and he has 3 caps according to them.

Soccerway tends to be more accurate for stats

https://us.soccerway.com/players/bertrand-owundi-ekoo/532069/

He has two caps, not three and yes - they’re official caps.