Tajon Buchanan

nolando

2 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

Awesome...

For me, getting up early to watch Craig Forrest play for West Ham was my Canadian football life. I remembering being stoked when Carlo Corrazzin sighned for Northampton...

I think Tajon would be a great fit at Inter Milan. They usually play with a lot of attack from out wide. He might do better there than England. I fear he might not get a lot of minutes. Too many careers die amongst the stars there. He needs regular playing time. 

I think he will be a good fit at Inter . I  think Simone Inzagi is one of the best managers in Europe that nno body is talking about. 

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Pretty sure UT has had a few sherries.

Yeah I just saw his unhinged comment. I passed right over the first time without even noticing. Wish I hadn't. For the record the big Italian clubs are all legendary and Tajon going to Inter and David going to Milan would be massive. Newcastle and Villa are in the same breath because they are punching above their weight. Not sure that continues long term, frankly.

7 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Are we actually arguing against one of our players going to Inter?

Can we all try to remember the days when we were happy Jaime Peters had a youth contract at Kaiserslautern? When Mark Watson signed in the Swedish first tier? When Robbie Aristodemo was fiiiiiiiinally going to get his big European break in Liechtenstein?

This is madness.

I for one am certainly not arguing against Inter. They have consistently been my preferred destination for the past year. Yeah, there are times I pondered Atletico instead, or most recently Villa instead, but I will once again put my hat in the Inter ring and say that's where I want to see him. Same for David at Milan. I have my concerns over playing time in both cases, but ultimately they are the most recognizable names linked to both players and for the sake of the profile of our national team, these are the moves I want to see.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is absolutely pinnacle, you are just proving you have no clue. 

Any club with serious aspirations of getting into quarter finals or semis of Champions League and winning on a good year is pinnacle, I don't know what else would be.

And that, as we stand, is usually no more than 8-10 clubs in Europe. Internazionale is one of them. 

Would this board stop parading its ignorance for all to see, it is pathetic guys.

No Clue, Parading ignorance, and pathetic..... all because I think the pinnacle of soccer is not 8-10 clubs, chill out man. If you need to try and bully youre opinion through, its a shit opinion.

By the definition of pinnacle, you cannot have 8-10 teams or else its not really the pinnacle, is it.

Do you honestly believe that the most elite players in the world go to inter and say Ive reached the very top in the same way that benzema or ronaldo would say they reached the top at RM? 

Do you really believe that thuram, sanchez, mkhitaryan, calhanoglu, frattesi, darmian, bisseck, acerbi, bastoni, augusto, barella, arnautovic etc and now buchanan have reached the summit of world football by playing for inter milan. Theres no where else to go from there? They cannot climb any higher? 

Would any of them start for Real madrid or man city... not a single one. Maybe martinez could for RM this year but not when benzema was there or when they sign a haaland/mbappe or when endrick is old enough. Why dont you parade your intelligence for the entire board to see and let us know how a team with only maybe 1ish players at RM level is considered the absolute peak of football.....?? 

Edited by Bigandy

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I guess I'm wrong, Inter is a butthole, it would just end up devaluing Tajon to sign for them.

The fans are always right.

bad response. I think we all want to see TB at inter. We just dont consider Inter to be the top of football. 

Theyve won the champs league in 2010 because of mourihno making the team bigger than the sum of its parts but before that it was 60 years ago. 

They havnt had a player win the ballondor since 97.

Compared to RM who have won 5 champs titles since 2010 and had 9 winners of the ballon d'or since 1997. 

what metrics are you using to say inter is equal or better to RM? 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Brentford would be far better from what I am hearing on this board.

Brentford would not be a bad club, but if we’re looking for middle of the table English clubs, may as well go with the Villa rumour, they’re looking fantastic this year. 

Inter is a good spot though. If he can’t hack it or doesn’t play, so be it- we know then that Tajon is at best a good but not great player in a good but not great league like Belgium. You’ve mentioned quite a few times that Laryea should go and force his way back into Nottingham and fight for that roster spot- this is the same situation with Tajon. Go and fight for a spot on an Italian giant, and if you can’t make it, then we know our 4th or 5th best player (or however you rank him) just isn’t good enough for that level of team. I think he is though. But as a player, he’s at a point where he needs to be tested at the highest possible level. As fans of Canada, we need to know if our young and emerging players are as good as we hope they are. 

And look- Italian soccer is traditionally the most popular brand of soccer in Canada. Maybe it’s premier league now with the younger kids, but we get a player, especially one of our stars on a club like Inter, and you’re going to start seeing a lot of TB inter jerseys on the streets. Canada has never had a série A player ever, yet you go to any cafe/bar that has any soccer on their TVs and chances are, it’s Italy jerseys on the wall or Italian team shirts, etc. I think Tajon signing there and playing well would do a lot to bring more eyeballs to our teams and get the 10 year old kids now getting into soccer to start thinking it’s cool to support Canada.  

32 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

And look- Italian soccer is traditionally the most popular brand of soccer in Canada. Maybe it’s premier league now with the younger kids, but we get a player, especially one of our stars on a club like Inter, and you’re going to start seeing a lot of TB inter jerseys on the streets. Canada has never had a série A player ever, yet you go to any cafe/bar that has any soccer on their TVs and chances are, it’s Italy jerseys on the wall or Italian team shirts, etc. I think Tajon signing there and playing well would do a lot to bring more eyeballs to our teams and get the 10 year old kids now getting into soccer to start thinking it’s cool to support Canada.  

I imagine this is regional. I don't think many follow Series A closely in my neck of the woods 

I hope they both end up there so I can watch them on TLN.  Missing the days when we could watch our players in the best leagues on basic cable.  This talk of superior clubs is interesting. If you are on Porto or Celtic or Ajax the pedigree is excellent and this helps our national team immensely.  I think it is better to be a key cog on a top team in a second tier league than to get destroyed week in week out on a bottom feeder in a top 5.

I'm not sure how many posters have watched Tajon play for CB this season. He's playing at RB vs RWB or winger. As a result he's not going to show up high in the goals/assists  category if anyone is using that as a metric for assessing his performances. He has although, embraced and been fully committed to the defensive part of his position and in that regard  has been lights out. Still effective when he joins the attack but is selective when he  pushes up or takes on players 1v1. Hasn't lost his attacking skills. I believe it's that balance on both sides of the ball that clubs find appealing. Inter probably see another possible Dumfries.

31 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I imagine this is regional. I don't think many follow Series A closely in my neck of the woods 

Do you live near a major city? I find most establishments that show games show Italian soccer, and most places that have any jerseys hung up on the wall are Italian jerseys. I know there's a Liverpool bar and a Celtic bar in Montreal, but for the most part, a lot of Italian stuff. Granted the younger generation probably watches premier league or the big spanish clubs, but obviously the Italian-Canadian fan contingent is one of the biggest/oldest type of soccer fans in the country. It's certainly like that in Montreal and Ottawa, I'd assume Toronto is not too different.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Do you live near a major city? I find most establishments that show games show Italian soccer, and most places that have any jerseys hung up on the wall are Italian jerseys. I know there's a Liverpool bar and a Celtic bar in Montreal, but for the most part, a lot of Italian stuff. Granted the younger generation probably watches premier league or the big spanish clubs, but obviously the Italian-Canadian fan contingent is one of the biggest/oldest type of soccer fans in the country. It's certainly like that in Montreal and Ottawa, I'd assume Toronto is not too different.

Big time in TO

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I'm not sure how many posters have watched Tajon play for CB this season. He's playing at RB vs RWB or winger. As a result he's not going to show up high in the goals/assists  category if anyone is using that as a metric for assessing his performances. He has although, embraced and been fully committed to the defensive part of his position and in that regard  has been lights out. Still effective when he joins the attack but is selective when he  pushes up or takes on players 1v1. Hasn't lost his attacking skills. I believe it's that balance on both sides of the ball that clubs find appealing. Inter probably see another possible Dumfries.

It's a hot take but I think buchanan in 3 years will surpass dumfries as a player. 

The criticism in holland of dumfries is that hes got "hard feet" and he makes up for it with with sheer determination and constantly running up and down the flank. I'm not sure if buchanan will become as or more effective than dumfries, but i think he'll be better at technical build up, positionally can pop into tight areas etc. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, that's just a reflection of demographics, specifically cities with large Italian populations, so Toronto and Montreal, which to be fair constitute a pretty significant part of the total Canadian population on their own. Out on the east coast, or at least in Newfoundland, it's all about the EPL, which again is a reflection of the cultural links to the UK. I am sure it's roughly the same elsewhere in Atlantic Canada. On Vancouver Island (which I believe @Aird25 is from), it may be the same thing to a lesser extent. Alberta where I currently reside seems to be a mix, there is some Italian presence here, so more awareness of Serie A than back in Newfoundland, I find.

Cheers

Just now, Obinna said:

Yeah, that's just a reflection of demographics, specifically cities with large Italian populations, so Toronto and Montreal, which to be fair constitute a pretty significant part of the total Canadian population on their own. Out on the east coast, or at least in Newfoundland, it's all about the EPL, which again is a reflection of the cultural links to the UK. I am sure it's roughly the same elsewhere in Atlantic Canada. On Vancouver Island (which I believe @Aird25 is from), it may be the same thing to a lesser extent. Alberta where I currently reside seems to be a mix, there is some Italian presence here, so more awareness of Serie A than back in Newfoundland, I find.

Cheers

Yeah, what I'm basically getting at is that Canada has a massive Italian population, and those people love soccer and it would be huge for us to give them a player of ours they can root for at the club level. Obviously if we get a guy on a club like Manchester United or Liverpool or any of the English clubs with a historically massive international fanbase, we're probably going to see much of the same too. I just remember growing up back when I'd only ever really follow the world cup and euros, and seeing everyone I knew who followed that stuff cheer for Italy to the point of being annoying, and it's like, sure, let's give them a Canadian they can cheer for whenever they're watching their saturday morning football.

I guess to that extent too, if the Benfica rumour is true, that would to a lesser extent accomplish a very similar goal in getting Canadian fans of non-Canadian soccer to tune in to us.

I find the Benfica rumour to be a bit odd. They are a bigger club than CB, but not so big that I would have expected them to compete against Inter or Villa for a more established player.  As in, if they were getting him at a discount and thought they could build him up and move him on again that would make sense. But with bigger clubs also circling they'd have to pay market value (whatever that is) and moving him on later for profit would be more difficult.

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1738254869847216246?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Another Fab tweet about TB to Inter- they also want Taremi, but Tajon is the priority. I don’t remember seeing this much buzz for a transfer outside of those young €100M players that get bought up by EPL clubs. It’s kinda strange considering at best, Tajon will be bought for like €12-15M.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Vancouver as well, in spite of changing demographics.

Victoria is another story, but it is not that diverse and ethnic and national communities are fairly subdued (invisible?).

Let's get to the real story: this board used to be full of anti-Italian English stock who went to racist extremes with their clichés and insults towards Italian footie fans, followers, teams, play-- we are talking about over 15 years ago. We had to shut it down, thankfully we come some way since then. 

It is still overwhelmingly male and the sexism is still fairly present. Plus ça change...