Tajon Buchanan

nolando

13 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

It's strange for me to say but I think Tajon could hit the ground running at all 3 destinations. I'm more worried of him finding form if hes purely a winger but at benfica the level is lowerish so i have faith. At inter hes wingback and he can do a job, at aston villa, its lower pressure than an elite club, he will play both winger and wingback (maybe even FB), theres lots of rotation, and his positional competition is lower than at a better club.  

All 3 are fine options. 

Compare this to David and I'm much more worried and particular over where he would end up.

Yeah, I think I am starting to lean Villa even though I have been rooting for Inter this whole time. Thing is, I don't watch enough of them, or the prem in general lately, to know how he'd fit in. Right off the bat it would seem that he'd be in direct competition with Leon Baily, who seems to be a rotational piece as it is, so is that ideal? If he can play multiple roles in their team, that's good though in terms of his chances of playing.

Other thing that popped out to me was the "lower pressure" comment. I mean, I get what you are saying, but at the same time it's hard to imagine fighting for the title in England isn't the most pressure. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, I think I am starting to lean Villa even though I have been rooting for Inter this whole time. Thing is, I don't watch enough of them, or the prem in general lately, to know how he'd fit in. Right off the bat it would seem that he'd be in direct competition with Leon Baily, who seems to be a rotational piece as it is, so is that ideal? If he can play multiple roles in their team, that's good though in terms of his chances of playing.

Other thing that popped out to me was the "lower pressure" comment. I mean, I get what you are saying, but at the same time it's hard to imagine fighting for the title in England isn't the most pressure. 

The lower pressure is rooted in club expectations, wage bills, competition etc. If youre going to man city, RM, PSG etc youll get roasted every game you lose or bad performance. I think theres much more forgiveness for an underdog team like AV. Just look at how much flak Man utd players get for mediocre performances. Half the time, the criticism is so out of proportion to their actual performance.  At AV you dont get that to the same extremes. 

4 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

The lower pressure is rooted in club expectations, wage bills, competition etc. If youre going to man city, RM, PSG etc youll get roasted every game you lose or bad performance. I think theres much more forgiveness for an underdog team like AV. Just look at how much flak Man utd players get for mediocre performances. Half the time, the criticism is so out of proportion to their actual performance.  At AV you dont get that to the same extremes. 

Right, but AV is 3rd in the prem, tied with Liverpool but below on GD. Them qualifying for UCL group stages could be the influx of cash that makes the difference between them being able to retool for next season and them needing to run it back and risk tumbling down the table, or worse. They’re not a yo yo club by any means, but they were playing in the championship as recently as 2019. There’s absolutely more pressure playing for Madrid, United, etc., but a lot of this “pressure” is fan commentary which ultimately only means so much. If TB goes to Villa, doesn’t play well, they tumble down the table and finish the season off poorly, that could make it more difficult for Tajon to stick around with top teams of that level moving forward.

Plus, where does he slide in? They have Matty Cash at RB, I think they play Eric Bailly at RM. I’d love to see him take a shot at the premier league, just seems like AV has his position covered well.

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

Yeah for sure, but at the same time expectations are changing/have changed with Villa now genuinely in the mix for the title. When the stakes are THIS high I don't expect their fans to forgive bad performances just because they are Villa.

If you are City, a bad mistake could be seen as unacceptable and proof of not being up to standard, but unlike Villa, City are in the mix every year. Would a similarly bad mistake at Villa be seen as unforgivable given that Villa are rarely in this position? 

Villa also have a relatively easy start to 2024 that they absolutely have to capitalize on. Through March they play Everton, Newcastle, Sheffield, Man United, Fulham, Forest, Luton. That’s at least 4 scheduled wins and a few doable matchups. Their schedule gets tougher after that, so they need to pick up as many points as possible over that run. That’s a lot of pressure. 

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Right, but AV is 3rd in the prem, tied with Liverpool but below on GD. Them qualifying for UCL group stages could be the influx of cash that makes the difference between them being able to retool for next season and them needing to run it back and risk tumbling down the table, or worse. They’re not a yo yo club by any means, but they were playing in the championship as recently as 2019. There’s absolutely more pressure playing for Madrid, United, etc., but a lot of this “pressure” is fan commentary which ultimately only means so much. If TB goes to Villa, doesn’t play well, they tumble down the table and finish the season off poorly, that could make it more difficult for Tajon to stick around with top teams of that level moving forward.

Plus, where does he slide in? They have Matty Cash at RB, I think they play Eric Bailly at RM. I’d love to see him take a shot at the premier league, just seems like AV has his position covered well.

I guess I look at leicesters title winning team. Winning the title once isnt enough for sustainably competing vs bigger budgets. Even if they generate 50m from UCL, thats pretty minor compared to what chelsea can spend etc. The realistic expectations of AV isnt to win the title year on year.  Sure, there is pressure. But I think we all agree that its easier to transition from CB to AV vs real madrid. Also, if buchanan plays well individually, there wont be any issue sticking to that level. Look at leicester and Harry maguire. They tumbled down the table and he becomes the most expensive CB. 

As for positionally, Konsa has been covering RB for Cash. Easily can compete for minutes. At WB its pretty much just cash. At winger its mcginn, traore, and leon bailey (eric bailey is the CB formerly of UTD).  Theres competition but plenty of room for rotation. Any squad will have competition but I think buchanan is fighting for 1 or 2 in the depth charts at all 3 positions so hes an upgrade in quality even if they have numbers. 

At inter theres dumfries, cuadrado, darmian, and pavard to compete with. The first 2 are likely out and the other 2 float between CB and RB. However they are all much higher quality players than AV.  

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah for sure, but at the same time expectations are changing/have changed with Villa now genuinely in the mix for the title. When the stakes are THIS high I don't expect their fans to forgive bad performances just because they are Villa.

If you are City, a bad mistake could be seen as unacceptable and proof of not being up to standard, but unlike Villa, City are in the mix every year. Would a similarly bad mistake at Villa be seen as unforgivable given that Villa are rarely in this position? 

a single mistake that has extreme costs is maybe not the best example as its so singular and not extremely likely. Ongoing mediocre performances or good performances with poor finishing etc may be more accurate. If grealish plays mediocre, doku comes in or foden or silva or alvarez etc. The margins between all these world class players is so small that the pressure to preform is extremely high. With AV a guy like bailey is consistently playing and we've seen first hand how bad his finishing is. If AV wants to play 3 atb buchanan is likely going to start if theres a pacy winger, or if cash needs rotation, hes starting. AV just doesnt have the luxury of bench talent that superclubs have. 

17 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

a single mistake that has extreme costs is maybe not the best example as its so singular and not extremely likely. Ongoing mediocre performances or good performances with poor finishing etc may be more accurate. If grealish plays mediocre, doku comes in or foden or silva or alvarez etc. The margins between all these world class players is so small that the pressure to preform is extremely high. With AV a guy like bailey is consistently playing and we've seen first hand how bad his finishing is. If AV wants to play 3 atb buchanan is likely going to start if theres a pacy winger, or if cash needs rotation, hes starting. AV just doesnt have the luxury of bench talent that superclubs have. 

Fair enough. Hope he succeeds if he goes there. Best league in the world top-to-bottom and Villa are having a season. 

43 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I guess I look at leicesters title winning team. Winning the title once isnt enough for sustainably competing vs bigger budgets. Even if they generate 50m from UCL, thats pretty minor compared to what chelsea can spend etc. The realistic expectations of AV isnt to win the title year on year.  Sure, there is pressure. But I think we all agree that its easier to transition from CB to AV vs real madrid. Also, if buchanan plays well individually, there wont be any issue sticking to that level. Look at leicester and Harry maguire. They tumbled down the table and he becomes the most expensive CB. 

As for positionally, Konsa has been covering RB for Cash. Easily can compete for minutes. At WB its pretty much just cash. At winger its mcginn, traore, and leon bailey (eric bailey is the CB formerly of UTD).  Theres competition but plenty of room for rotation. Any squad will have competition but I think buchanan is fighting for 1 or 2 in the depth charts at all 3 positions so hes an upgrade in quality even if they have numbers. 

At inter theres dumfries, cuadrado, darmian, and pavard to compete with. The first 2 are likely out and the other 2 float between CB and RB. However they are all much higher quality players than AV.  

For Leicester, they leveraged that title into what, 6 or 7 more seasons in the prem? Of course if you're outside of the top 7, you're bound for a trip to the championship at some point over the next decade or two, but that title and the buzz around it did keep them afloat a lot longer than if they were just a low budget middle of the table team that goes up and down every few years. Villa don't have to compete with Chelsea, but they need to be better than clubs like Brighton, Palace, Brentford- those middle of the table clubs that go down after a bad season, but challenge for europe when they're good. Not that UCL guarantees you success in the future- I think Union Berlin is in the relegation zone as we speak, and they qualified directly for the group stage last year, but Villa can't bank on being this good next year or the year after. They have to capitalize on this season.

In any case, my point was that I don't think playing for Villa this season comes with low pressure- they're in a very good spot now and need to maintain it. TB would be coming into a similar spot that Laryea came into at Nottingham forest- excellent player but the team is rolling with the guys they have, why change things up? I do think he needs to be tested at the highest level possible, so I hope he goes for Aston Villa, and if it doesn't work, then at least we know what his realistic ceiling is. Not that Inter wouldn't be its own challenge as well; they have their own title to win as well. I do wonder what the angle with Benfica is. Don't want to say that CB -> Benfica is a lateral move, but it's not exactly a significant leap up either.

53 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

For Leicester, they leveraged that title into what, 6 or 7 more seasons in the prem? Of course if you're outside of the top 7, you're bound for a trip to the championship at some point over the next decade or two, but that title and the buzz around it did keep them afloat a lot longer than if they were just a low budget middle of the table team that goes up and down every few years. Villa don't have to compete with Chelsea, but they need to be better than clubs like Brighton, Palace, Brentford- those middle of the table clubs that go down after a bad season, but challenge for europe when they're good. Not that UCL guarantees you success in the future- I think Union Berlin is in the relegation zone as we speak, and they qualified directly for the group stage last year, but Villa can't bank on being this good next year or the year after. They have to capitalize on this season.

In any case, my point was that I don't think playing for Villa this season comes with low pressure- they're in a very good spot now and need to maintain it. TB would be coming into a similar spot that Laryea came into at Nottingham forest- excellent player but the team is rolling with the guys they have, why change things up? I do think he needs to be tested at the highest level possible, so I hope he goes for Aston Villa, and if it doesn't work, then at least we know what his realistic ceiling is. Not that Inter wouldn't be its own challenge as well; they have their own title to win as well. I do wonder what the angle with Benfica is. Don't want to say that CB -> Benfica is a lateral move, but it's not exactly a significant leap up either.

I assume you say they leveraged it because they gained 93 mil in prize money that they used to reinvest in the squad? I would argue the sales of 
kante - 35
drinkwater-40
Mahrez - 70
maguire - 90
chillwell - 50
fofana - 80 

All played an equal if not larger role in keeping them up. If anything, the title heeped on more squad demands that they couldnt handle. They also reinvested very poorly. 

Slimani, musa, ndidi, mendy, silva, ibarro, ihaneacho, pereira, ward, ghezzal, soyuncu, tielemens, perez, praet, daka, soumare, souttar 

None of them ever turned into top half prem players and/or gave a good return. 

Exceptions - fofana, madison and maguire. 

But this is really a sidenote discussion of the rise and fall leicester.

I dont think there is no pressure, but I think its lower pressure than playing for man utd. Emery may not mix things up, like llenglet sitting on the bench. I just think that buchanan has a profile in a position of depth. Aston villa has more demands than NF with euro commitments and im assuming more cup competition games than NF had post laryea. Laryea was unproven in europe, buchanan has a higher ceiling. If you need a goal, youd think about buchanan as a sub before laryea.   Im still worried he gets frozen out, but AV is the team i see him getting the most minutes on that is in the best position in the prem. 

Edit: and/or newcastle (if they were interested)

Edited by Bigandy

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I assume you say they leveraged it because they gained 93 mil in prize money that they used to reinvest in the squad? I would argue the sales of 
kante - 35
drinkwater-40
Mahrez - 70
maguire - 90
chillwell - 50
fofana - 80 

All played an equal if not larger role in keeping them up. If anything, the title heeped on more squad demands that they couldnt handle. They also reinvested very poorly. 

Slimani, musa, ndidi, mendy, silva, ibarro, ihaneacho, pereira, ward, ghezzal, soyuncu, tielemens, perez, praet, daka, soumare, souttar 

None of them ever turned into top half prem players and/or gave a good return. 

Exceptions - fofana, madison and maguire. 

But this is really a sidenote discussion of the rise and fall leicester.

I dont think there is no pressure, but I think its lower pressure than playing for man utd. Emery may not mix things up, like llenglet sitting on the bench. I just think that buchanan has a profile in a position of depth. Aston villa has more demands than NF with euro commitments and im assuming more cup competition games than NF had post laryea. Laryea was unproven in europe, buchanan has a higher ceiling. If you need a goal, youd think about buchanan as a sub before laryea.   Im still worried he gets frozen out, but AV is the team i see him getting the most minutes on that is in the best position in the prem. 

Edit: and/or newcastle (if they were interested)

Player sales certainly helped a lot, but I don't think it's just the prize money. The prize money allows them to reinvest into players, which allows them to stay up in the premier league, which gives them the piece of the broadcasting royalties, which technically allows them to reinvest into players, which allows them to keep being good, so on so forth. They didn't invest well, and they ultimately slid, got relegated etc., but I think when you have the chance to inject your club with a ton of revenue, losing out on european football for AV isn't like if Chelsea misses out- if they do, there's always next year. If Villa fumble the bag this year, this might be their best shot in a generation.

59 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Player sales certainly helped a lot, but I don't think it's just the prize money. The prize money allows them to reinvest into players, which allows them to stay up in the premier league, which gives them the piece of the broadcasting royalties, which technically allows them to reinvest into players, which allows them to keep being good, so on so forth. They didn't invest well, and they ultimately slid, got relegated etc., but I think when you have the chance to inject your club with a ton of revenue, losing out on european football for AV isn't like if Chelsea misses out- if they do, there's always next year. If Villa fumble the bag this year, this might be their best shot in a generation.

All of this is true except even if villa win, theyll need significant upgrades to compete in europe. Look at leicester, union and newcastle (to a lesser degree). After getting into europe, they suffered heavily. The prize money wont offset this. 

The main reason why AV has a shot right now is that Man city are in a rough patch, tottenham man u and newcastle are injury plagued and chelsea are transitioning after spending a billion. I expect these teams to improve by the end of the year and push AV out. But even if they don't, they have next year and can spend way more than AV even without champs money. I dont think winning the league changes this. Until AV can find 200m+ revenues per year without selling their stars, theyll have the same problem competing with the big boys every year.  Sure, they get one year of glory and a bit of a boost. But one time cash injections are never the solution to competing with the big dogs. 

I dont think anyone sees buchanan join an AV who was in 3rd, then they drop to 8th and no one wants him anymore. 

I've said it before but ill repeat it (cause i'm not that interesting of a soccer analyst: Tajon was the player most people asked me about at the world cup and honestly, he was our biggest offensive threat. I think its a travesty hes in the position hes in. One goal at the world cup would have changed his life.

8 hours ago, Bigandy said:

It's strange for me to say but I think Tajon could hit the ground running at all 3 destinations. I'm more worried of him finding form if hes purely a winger but at benfica the level is lowerish so i have faith. At inter hes wingback and he can do a job, at aston villa, its lower pressure than an elite club, he will play both winger and wingback (maybe even FB), theres lots of rotation, and his positional competition is lower than at a better club.  

All 3 are fine options. 

Compare this to David and I'm much more worried and particular over where he would end up.

I agree, he's improved so much defensively that he could just be asked to do that and succeed. Saying this on the basis of watching him last year in Champions League.

He has the physique, the mental character, and then, if he gets to push forward, there's that surprise factor because rivals won't think they are up against a guy able to convert into a tricky winger.

I do agree that it is a great complement, if true, if such different manager profiles find him interesting.

Since there is Villa knowledge here, I'd love to hear what people think about Emery, what credit does he get, what has he really done? He's a very odd guy, but obviously has results. I only started paying a bit more attention to AV this last year as my step-sister's daughter is marrying into a family of fanatic AV supporters, living in England, she's quite the supporter and we can actually talk footie now.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I'm no student of the game, so can never provide much tactical or on-field insight, but in general comments among the fans are that the Cash-Diaby on line-up on that side isn't working, and that Cash is increasingly left behind by the improving quality and play of his teammates as the club has kicked on in the last year or so. So I'm not surprised the club would look for an upgrade, and as a fan of both sides I'm always happy to see any Canadian linked with Villa (though never saw David as an option as has been reported in the past.)

If this comes to fruition, I might just have to buy a personalized shirt - there's always something a bit weird about a grown man with another grown man's name on the back, but it would be the first time I wore a shirt with a player name  since getting my Patrick Roy jersey at age 5.