Tajon Buchanan

nolando

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It’s not going to be easy for Tajon to get minutes with this Inter team, in terms of Serie A Inter is stacked with quality players this year .

I get that.  But at the same time a 3-0 lead would be a chance to give him some no-pressure minutes as part of the process.  Put another way, if you aren’t willing to play him in these circumstances, why name him to the bench at all? 

Edited by dyslexic nam

I didn't say it at the time but I really think people are being pretty optimistic about Tajon at Inter. I want him to do well and succeed, and I think he can, but it is nowhere near a foregone conclusion that he will. This is a massive step up for him, and let's be honest, he didn't set the world on fire at CB, for a number of reasons I'm sure, but I think the optimism that he will walk into the team and light it up at one of the world giants is a bit of a CMNT-tinted glasses view. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing him get his shot and seeing what he can do. When he does get his chance he needs to grab it with both hands, and I think he has the ability to do it, but there's also a chance that it simply won't work out. We've already heard that he needs more instruction on his defensive play. If they don't think his defending is up to standard, he's going to find it hard to get playing time when they're top of the table in a league which is famously very tactical/defensive.

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Debut would have been nice, but not bothered. It's going to take time to start getting minutes. Finals would be a nice way to make a debut, though.

People (like me) sometimes forget that with a big club, unless you're already a global superstar (e.g. Harry Kane at Bayern), you're not just going to walk right into the starting lineup.  When Alphonso Davies first got to Bayern (second half of the 2018-19 season), he never got a single start in the 23 games of that half season.  In fact, all he got was 6 appearances for a grand total of 74 minutes.   As I recall, we were all panicky then too.  😉

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get that.  But at the same time a 3-0 lead would be a chance to give him some no-pressure minutes as part of the process.  Put another way, if you aren’t willing to play him in these circumstances, why name him to the bench at all? 

It looks like roster management. I mean, a few guys on the bench needed some minutes, otherwise they might become restless. I mean, a long line of premium players. Guys like Alexis Sánchez. Sorry, we don't want Alexis to get antsy, Tajon, next time maybe. 

Still, I personally think they should give him the minutes as it is inspiring for the fans, gets him mentalised, and creates a bit of competitive tension in the squad. But I am happy to defer to Inzaghi.

at least he's getting a bit of a "pre-season". Settling down in a new country/team/home/language/culture etc. There's no pressure as Inter is winning. I trust the coach and team to bring him along  and play him when they think he is ready. Look I'm sure just training with top players at Inter every day  and being coached at the highest level to date is going to add a lot to his game. 

I watched highlights, Inter were killing them. They are playing out of this world, I think they are probably the best team in Europe at the moment. They may lack a bit of experience, prestige players, to win CL, but they are excellent.

Heard the interviews with Inzaghi and it was all about the team. But he did mention that Pavard was "finally" settling in, Darmian on the other side. Meaning Pavard, took him 4 months to start to gel. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I watched highlights, Inter were killing them. They are playing out of this world, I think they are probably the best team in Europe at the moment. They may lack a bit of experience, prestige players, to win CL, but they are excellent.

Heard the interviews with Inzaghi and it was all about the team. But he did mention that Pavard was "finally" settling in, Darmian on the other side. Meaning Pavard, took him 4 months to start to gel. 

Yeah I watched a good chunk of the game, that was some of the most incisive attacking I’ve seen in a long time. It would be amazing to Tajon playing with this team. 

11 hours ago, narduch said:

They paid a lot of money for him.

He will be given a shot as a starter.

I would say that 7 million plus bonuses is a low figure for a team like Inter. 

Barça, with the worst finances ever, has no problem sitting a player who cost 12 million. A bit over 15, then you start to worry about losing the investment.

The problem is that Inter is in a tight title race, all games matter, then Champions. It would have been ideal for him to get a few minutes vs. Monza just to break the ice.

Guys - I hate to sound condescending, but this is Serie A not MLS.  It's one of, if not the most tactical league in the world. Coach won't put him out there until he believes he understands exactly what is expected of him in every phase of the game.  They aren't gonna be like "go out there and show us your stuff kid" even with a 2-0 lead. 

Look at the squad, Inter Milan did not break the bank to bring Tajon as an all-star savior to guarantee promotion or anything, he came in to fill a role.

His time will come, they're in no hurry, and that is a good thing for everyone.  He'll know exactly what is expected of him which will help him succeed.  

Its not a lack of exceptional skill that's keeping him from seeing minutes right now. We all knew it would take time for him to adjust to Serie A, specially when playing with the current best team in the league. He'll get there. In the end his talent will shine through. 

51 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

dude is learning a fuckton right now. cannot wait to see how this improves his overall game

That's the thing that gets lost in the discussion, I feel. We focus so much on how much he will play, when he will play, and if he can make the grade, but to me the idea of him growing by virtue of just even being at Inter is very exciting. It is also a very realistic outcome. Look at how much better of a player Davies grew into while playing alongside world class players. Tajon has the same basic opportunity and Inter will want him to succeed the same way Bayern wanted Davies to succeed, which he did.

The holes in his game, like his final product and defensive awareness, will have to close if he wants minutes at Inter, so it's the carrot and not the stick. He's not a goal scorer or big money signing, so the only pressure will be that which he puts on himself to succeed, which I back him to do so.