Tajon Buchanan

nolando

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I would encourage everyone to go back to page 1 and read this article. It tells you a lot about him and his incredible determination to pursue his soccer career despite a lot of challenges. How was this guy missed by 3 Cdn MLS teams and the CSA at the youth level despite him playing with Sigma? 

It's been covered, we don't have enough proper and talented scouts/coaches to cover the youth leagues.  Even the MLS academies are amateurish. 

My understanding of Serie A is that if he can just score 1 goal he'll be tied for the league lead.

(I'll never forget when Serie A was on The Score and they had a morning where every game was 0-0 at the half. It was every stereotype imaginable about the league.)

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Where does this rank in terms of both former MLS and former NCAA player transfers in terms of team size? I know a few keepers ended up in the premier league, but after Davies to bayern, and I guess McKennie who came through the Dallas system and eventually ended up at Juve, I can’t really think of many bigger teams guys from this neck of the wood ended up at. 

I wouldn't count McKennie as he never played in MLS. Same for Chris Richards. Adams and Aaronson have now played at high levels in Europe, but this Inter mover for Tajon arguably pushes him above in terms of team size. Leeds, Salzburg, Leipzig, Crystal Palace, all strong teams but clearly not Inter level.

If we were making a list I think Larin would be on it somewhere too. Orlando-Besiktas-Club Brugge-Real Valladolid-Mallorca is a pretty impressive career path for someone coming from this neck of the woods.

53 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

My understanding of Serie A is that if he can just score 1 goal he'll be tied for the league lead.

(I'll never forget when Serie A was on The Score and they had a morning where every game was 0-0 at the half. It was every stereotype imaginable about the league.)

This was the case 5+ years ago.  It has changed drastically in the past 5-6 years.

47 minutes ago, Free kick said:

2023-24 Serie A: Made In Italy | Every Sunday on TLN

Serie A games are on TLN which is part of most basic cable subscriptions in Canada.   or its available as an add on.

Unfortunately, there no Inter games are scheduled for the next couple of weekends as Inter seems to be playing on Saturday's instead of Sunday.

May as well just get Fubo. 

You can watch all Serie A games in English. They have the Copa Italia too (sadly Inter are already out).

Plus you get EPL, most Jonathan David games in Ligue 1, the CanMNT game v T&T, Women’s Gold Cup, CPL, Voyageurs  Cup, etc.

Its interesting that Buchanan has been brought in to replace the injured Juan Cuadrado who will remain out of action for at least three months following Achilles surgery.  Yet,  if we recall back to last summer,  Cuadrado was brought in because they had made u-turn on Buchanan and opted for the cheaper and much older Cuadrado instead.  This was the result of the fact that the club is under financial strain and needed money out to match the money in.

Cuadrado was not a popular signing as he was disliked by the fans due to his Juve affiliation.  These are factors that should help in ensuring that he doesnt lose his spot when Cuadrado has recovered.   

Edited by Free kick

19 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

Right now he is slotted behind Dumfries. Hopefully he can over take him. Cuadrado will be back eventually so it’ll be interesting to see what happens then

Tajon has played as a LB for CB and as a LWB for Canada, so he provides options on both flanks

I'm just getting caught up on this thread after the holidays, and sweet baby Jesus have there been a lot of ignorant comments. I have to agree with @Unnamed Trialist that the lack of knowledge outside of an Anglo lens is astounding.

Yes, we can all agree that Serie A is no longer the league of the late 90s, and the finances of world football and the European game mean that the balance of power will only continue to shift in one direction...but we are still talking about Inter Milan. Comparisons to Aston Villa? Really?

According to the Guardian's list, Buchanan will be playing alongside 7 of the top 100 players in the world!
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/dec/19/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2023

As for no other reason to watch that league...you realize that Serie A has been the most unpredictable major league in Europe lately with 4 different winners in the last 4 seasons, the only of the big 4 leagues to still have all of their squads alive in European football for the knockout rounds?

And as for the low scoring claims...here are the goals per game in Serie A versus EPL over the last 5 years (stats from soccerstats.com as far back as they go):

Serie A
18/19 - 2.68
19/20 - 3.04
20/21 - 3.06
21/22 - 2.87
22/23 - 2.56

EPL
18/19 - 2.82
19/20 - 2.72
20/21 - 2.69
21/22 - 2.82
22/23 - 2.85

And if you are one of the people lucid enough to not just equate quality of play and excitement with goals, I would happily put up the Atalanta and Napoli squads of the last few years among the most beautiful in the world. In fact, among current Serie A squads, I would only label Allegri's Juventus, Mourinho's Roma and Juric's Torino as defensive in nature (Udinese and Verona are probably on the borderline).

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Its interesting that Buchanan has been brought in to replace the injured Juan Cuadrado who will remain out of action for at least three months following Achilles surgery.  Yet,  if we recall back to last summer,  Cuadrado was brought in because they had made u-turn on Buchanan and opted for the cheaper and much older Cuadrado instead.  This was the result of the fact that the club is under financial strain and needed money out to match the money in.

Cuadrado was not a popular signing as he was disliked by the fans due to his Juve affiliation.  These are factors that should help in ensuring that he doesnt lose his spot when Cuadrado had recoverred.   

Yes, the fact that Inter has been monitoring Buchanan for a long time probably helped get this deal done, and at such a reasonable price. Plus, I still believe that he is more than just a Cuadrado injury replacement. He is being brought in as a potential heir to Dumfries. Now he will have 6 months to ease the transition and get his feet wet in Italian football. If Buchanan impresses, Inter will sell Dumfires in the summer for financial reasons and the job will be his. If he does not, then Inter will have all summer to come up with a new succession plan and shouldn't have a problem to recoup the amortized remainder of the transfer fee.

Inter has used only a 3-5-2 system for the last 4 and half years. In fact one of the reasons they hired Simone Inzaghi was to keep continuity in the system that Antonio Conte established. I believe Buchanan will suit this role fine, just as he has done on occasion with the national team.

Does this position tweak at club level change the mind of our new manager on how to use him with the nats?

13 minutes ago, masster said:

Yes, we can all agree that Serie A is no longer the league of the late 90s, and the finances of world football and the European game mean that the balance of power will only continue to shift in one direction...but we are still talking about Inter Milan. Comparisons to Aston Villa? Really?

I believe it was me who brought up Villa, So let me clear it up for you....

In no way, shape or form was I saying that Villa has the history and prestige of Inter Milan.

Right now Villa are punching way above their weight. They are hanging with the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool at the top of the EPL, so theoretically they'd hang with Inter Milan too, no? Arsenal, Liverpool, Inter Milan...these are all the same calibre of club, no? Genuinely curious, do you think Inter are clearly ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool at the moment? I'd be willing to entertain that perspective if that's how you feel....

image.png.0ea7f0e0de213020873a37c363eba678.png

This is the post that ruffled some feathers....

Was it my suggestion that Inter, AC Milan, and Juve are maybe not Barca, Arsenal, Liverpool standard in 2023/24?

I am genuinely trying to understand what caused the upset as I feel there's been a miscommunication somewhere.

Or, maybe it was my comparison of Inter with Benfica? To clarify, my personal believe is that Inter is a bigger club than Benfica (and definitely Villa) currently and historically. I simply posed the question of whether these clubs are closer than we'd think since they were vying for the same player. In retrospect, the fact they were both after Buchanan speaks to Inter's current financial situation more than anything else.

Anyways, please let me know. Cheers

PS: Buchanan to Inter is the 2nd biggest transfer a Canadian national team player has made, only after Davies to Bayern. It's not the most expensive, but amongst the most important of transfers. I refresh this thread every few hours to follow the news. I am stoked abot it. And if you look back though this thread you'll find Inter has consistently been the club I have wanted him to go to. So if you feel I am somehow not excited for this you'd be very mistaken. 

56 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I believe it was me who brought up Villa, So let me clear it up for you....

In no way, shape or form was I saying that Villa has the history and prestige of Inter Milan.

Right now Villa are punching way above their weight. They are hanging with the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool at the top of the EPL, so theoretically they'd hang with Inter Milan too, no? Arsenal, Liverpool, Inter Milan...these are all the same calibre of club, no? Genuinely curious, do you think Inter are clearly ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool at the moment? I'd be willing to entertain that perspective if that's how you feel....

I hadn't intended on pointing fingers, but I believe it was somebody else that referred to Villa as the 'dream move' over Inter. I didn't agree with all of your posts Obinna, but I didn't feel they were out of line.

If you forced me to bet on Inter v Liverpool and Arsenal over a two-legged tie, I would put my money on Liverpool and then Inter.

This post got me curious so I googled some online rankings out of curiosity to see what other 'experts' thought.

Club ELO - Inter 5th
http://clubelo.com/

Opta Power Rankings - Inter 4th
https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/09/who-are-the-best-football-team-in-the-world-opta-power-rankings/

Football Database - Inter 3rd
https://footballdatabase.com/ranking/europe/1

6 minutes ago, masster said:

I hadn't intended on pointing fingers, but I believe it was somebody else that referred to Villa as the 'dream move' over Inter. I didn't agree with all of your posts Obinna, but I didn't feel they were out of line.

If you forced me to bet on Inter v Liverpool and Arsenal over a two-legged tie, I would put my money on Liverpool and then Inter.

This post got me curious so I googled some online rankings out of curiosity to see what other 'experts' thought.

Club ELO - Inter 5th
http://clubelo.com/

Opta Power Rankings - Inter 4th
https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/09/who-are-the-best-football-team-in-the-world-opta-power-rankings/

Football Database - Inter 3rd
https://footballdatabase.com/ranking/europe/1

The important thing for us non-Inter fans, as I see it, is that they are enjoyable to watch. Probably one of the most entertaining teams in Europe, and with aspirations to go deep in Champions this year.

It is not like Lille, which is hard, let's be honest. This year they seem to want to dominate and push, and are ambitious on the pitch.

BTW, I did see the first Inter game in CL vs Real Sociedad, and la Real probably deserved to win. Real Sociedad, is also a helluva team, a modest one but always offering some real football. I'd love to get a Canadian into that roster.

39 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The important thing for us non-Inter fans, as I see it, is that they are enjoyable to watch. Probably one of the most entertaining teams in Europe, and with aspirations to go deep in Champions this year.

It is not like Lille, which is hard, let's be honest. This year they seem to want to dominate and push, and are ambitious on the pitch.

BTW, I did see the first Inter game in CL vs Real Sociedad, and la Real probably deserved to win. Real Sociedad, is also a helluva team, a modest one but always offering some real football. I'd love to get a Canadian into that roster.

I would love for a Canadian to go and succeed at Real Sociedad. My wife and I spent some time in San Sebastián, and it is one of my favourite places I’ve lived. So many amazing things about that city.
I had the good fortune of some really cool experiences there, such as guided tours of Real Sociedad’s stadium and practice facilities, as I was teaching their assistant manager English (My buddy was teaching a group of players including Antoine Griezmann). I loved that job, and wish we could have stayed longer. One of the only drawbacks was the rain. So much rain. 

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

WtF are you talking about  

4 hours ago, frmr said:

Villa are historically one of the most successful clubs outside of the English giants. They’ve had plenty if historical success, including a European Cup, and have only been sleeping giants in the Premier League era.

Villa also have a big following especially in the English midlands . in the early 1980s they were pretty decent winning a Euro Cup , in 1982, 

9 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I would love for a Canadian to go and succeed at Real Sociedad. My wife and I spent some time in San Sebastián, and it is one of my favourite places I’ve lived. So many amazing things about that city.
I had the good fortune of some really cool experiences there, such as guided tours of Real Sociedad’s stadium and practice facilities, as I was teaching their assistant manager English (My buddy was teaching a group of players including Antoine Griezmann). I loved that job, and wish we could have stayed longer. One of the only drawbacks was the rain. So much rain. 

Wow that is a great experience. And yes, San Sebastian is beautiful, great quality of life, amazing food of course. 

A lot of people don't realize that Griezmann was "discovered" by Real Sociedad, he came up through their youth. I've never been to the stadium, it used to have a track and wisely they've redone it to eliminate it, now it seems much better, and I think it helps their home results.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

They’ve already annoyed TB will land in Milan at 10AM. Are inter fans insane enough to go meet him at the airport?

This reminds me of one of the most entertaining sets of posts ever — from August 2021 — when we were trying to figure out where Tajon was headed based on the interior of the plane pic he posted on Insta: